Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > What is "PowerPC Enabler 9.0.4"?

What is "PowerPC Enabler 9.0.4"?
Tinman
Apr 4, 2000, 09:03 PM

I just updated my computer with the Mac OS 9.0.4 update and one thing that is a bit confusing to me is the "PowerPC Enabler 9.0.4" file. It seem that the updater did not update the "System" file or the "Finder" file but install this file in the System Folder. If I move this file out of the System Folder and restart the computer, I am back to 9.0. Restart the computer with this file in the System Folder, it is OS 9.0.4.

Anyone know what is this file for? I have a pre-G3 Mac, why do I need it?

Relating to things in the System Folder, what is the "System Resources" file for? Why Apple did not incorporate it into the "System" file so the System Folder would look a bit less messy.

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2000, 10:47 PM

Apple did the same thing with some of the System 7.5 updates. If you have problems with Mac OS 9.0.4, you can downgrade by removing this file.

resker
Apr 5, 2000, 12:58 AM

That's poor advice. If you do absolutely need to downgrade, perform a clean installation of Mac OS 9.

Zyri
Apr 5, 2000, 01:37 AM

OK, that was wierd! I just installed 9.0.4, restarted, and CRASH bus error. So I tried restarting with extensions off, and CRASH bus error. So I restarted with the OS 9.0 CD and looked inside the System Folder and saw something interesting...
First a little background:
Traditionally, Apple has released a new OS version, and then comes out with new hardware. There are "slight" imcompatibilities with the new hardware, so they through in an "Enabler" which modifies the loading of the code slightly so that it counteracts the incompatibility. Then a little while later, another hardware update, so a new, different Enabler for that model, and so on. Then they release a universal OS update which unifies all the Enablers for the different models into the System software so that they can all work from the same OS. They've been doing this for years!
Now, back to the story:
So I look in my System Folder, and see the ADDITION of an enabler (PowerPC Enabler 9.0.4)! Wait a minute, updates are suppose to eliminate enablers, not add them. So I removed it, restarted with extensions disabled... all good! Restarted with all my usual extensions enabled (eye candy and all!)... all good! Did somebody screw up with the installer or what?

Sorry for the long post, but others may be having the same problem. BTW, I have a G3 300 MT, FYI.

thanks

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2000, 04:22 PM

Not all enablers have been used to make new hardware compatible with old operating systems. Some are used to update the operating system without changing the System file. PowerPC Enabler 9.0.4 is an example of the latter.

Carmelo
Apr 6, 2000, 03:23 AM

Originally posted by resker:
That's poor advice. If you do absolutely need to downgrade, perform a clean installation of Mac OS 9.
Problem with that is that, if you try and install Mac OS 9 on a Mac that already has Mac OS 9.0.X installed the installer will complain that it can't run on that system. My current problem is trying to install the English version of Mac OS 9.0 on a Powerbook that came with Swedish Mac OS 9.0.2. I want to switch to English 9.0 then upgrade to 9.0.4, but I can't because the installer won't let me downgrade the OS. Any suggestions??

Tinman
Apr 6, 2000, 08:46 AM

Carmelo, try choosing the perform clean install option to install a new System Folder.

Carmelo
Apr 10, 2000, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by Tinman:
Carmelo, try choosing the perform clean install option to install a new System Folder.
I always do a clean install but I don't even get to that stage. As soon as you run the installer and get to the first Mac OS Installer image, up pops a dialog box saying this software cannot run on this computer. The installer probably checks the hardware (or ROM) finds it doesn't support the hardware and so won't allow you to install. I don't even get to the first screen where I can choose which drive I want to install on to.

dary
Apr 10, 2000, 05:22 AM

Originally posted by Carmelo:
I always do a clean install but I don't even get to that stage. As soon as you run the installer and get to the first Mac OS Installer image, up pops a dialog box saying this software cannot run on this computer. The installer probably checks the hardware (or ROM) finds it doesn't support the hardware and so won't allow you to install. I don't even get to the first screen where I can choose which drive I want to install on to.

mmmm
Apr 10, 2000, 05:26 AM

You can start from a CD and desactivate the System Folder. Then you can make a clean install

Forum Links
Forum Rules