Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How do you make an .smi?

How do you make an .smi?
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2000, 01:52 PM

I always assumed you made them with DiskCopy, but when I went to make one myself today, I couldn't find that option anywehre!?

------------------
I see dead people.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2000, 06:47 PM

Did you drop the item on Disk Copy?

You can make .smi to be read/write and then update the file or folder contents. I keep a clean system folder and still apply Apple updaters; backup of email folder; active system folder - as well as backing up to another disk drive. I also keep an .smi of the Mac OS 9 CD.

Gregory

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2000, 07:03 PM

yeah that's wonderful but ANYWAY, how do you make the SMI???? DiskCopy appears to only make IMG image files, not self mounting ones.

------------------
I see dead people.

MacMatt
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2000, 07:31 PM

You can use Disk Copy to make SMI's(Self Mounting Images). If you have the Disk Copy folder, inside is a Quick References file which explains how to do it...I think the latest version of Disk Copy is 6.3.3. You must have OS 8.1 or later to be able to make SMI's.

Cheers, Matt

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2000, 07:33 PM

My DiskCopy is with out folder, all i have is the app itself, so again I ask, how do you make SMI's?

------------------
I see dead people.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2000, 08:01 PM

okay, here's what i found in the TIL: "See Disk Copy's AppleScript dictionary for information on the AppleScript syntax for creating a self-mounting image." you can read the whole article at http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/...0.6.22.0.0.0.3

basically, all it says is to drag disk copy on top of the script editor application for a list of the applescipt commands you'll need to know in order to make an .smi.

-r.

Blobby
Nov 18, 2000, 06:51 AM

Go look @ Versiontracker for 'File Smiler' 1008, it's a freeware drag and drop front end for Diskcopy.

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2000, 08:19 AM

Hi all,

Just wanted to add that Apple also provides some sample Disk Copy Scripts (for Disk Copy 6.3.x) which provide access to "hidden" features that aren't in Disk Copy's standard interface, including one that can be used to create self-mounting images. Also, as mentioned in the accompanying Read Me, if you place the scripts inside a folder named 'Scripts' in the same location as the Disk Copy app, they'll even show up in a special 'Scripts' menu within Disk Copy; this latter feature does work as advertised. :-)

There are a couple of other Disk Copy-related goodies available from Apple's Software Updates web site:- the Disk Copy program itself (including the Quick Reference mentioned above by MacMatt and rjenkinson), the Disk Image Contextual Menu Plugin 1.3 and an older Disk Copy Manual (6.1.2). Also, in addition to the new Knowledge Base TIL link given by rjenkinson, the older TIL database also contains a copy of the Disk Copy 6.3.3 Quick Reference.

Regards,

--Paul

dodita
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2000, 09:11 AM

DodOT

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2000, 02:07 PM

When you make an image, and it gives you open/save and options to zero there is also an option to auto-mount.

You can also select custom size, read-compressed, etc.

Nothing really hidden in that. I think Disk Copy on OS 9 CD is just program w/o other files. But I don't use ".smi" files and just double-click ".img" files. Sorry.

Gregory

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2000, 08:16 AM

Hi all,

One more thing... For those who're partial to the AppleScript approach, there's yet another example of an SMI-making script in the 'AskAl' article How can I create a Disk Copy self-mounting image?. That one contains an 'open' handler instead of a 'run' handler (so it can be saved as a drag-&-drop applet) and it can even combine mutiple '.img' files into one '.smi', but it also doesn't have as much error-handling as Apple's script. However, as 'Al' himself suggests, it's fairly easy to merge the techniques from the two scripts, or to write your own script if you so desire.

[BTW, Gregory, if you're referring to the 'mount afterwards' option in the Preferences dialogue or the 'mount image' option in the Create dialogues, these do not let you make an '.smi' file; they only let you choose whether to mount an '.img' file (for verification purposes) after it's been created.]

Regards,

--Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Crawford (edited 11-21-2000).]

George Orville
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2000, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by l008com:
My DiskCopy is with out folder, all i have is the app itself, so again I ask, how do you make SMI's?

I have Disk Copy without a folder also....... You should have Disk Copy application and Disk Copy Quick Start read me .......Very simple.........
Open Disk Copy and go to the Menu Bar >>Image and select >Create new image< or use command + N......In the open/save dialog window name your SMI and select the size you want...... Its that simple......
bigbiker

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2000, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by George Orville:
I have Disk Copy without a folder also....... You should have Disk Copy application and Disk Copy Quick Start read me .......Very simple.........
Open Disk Copy and go to the Menu Bar >>Image and select >Create new image< or use command + N......In the open/save dialog window name your SMI and select the size you want...... Its that simple......
just to clarify, an .smi is a disk image that does not rely on disk copy to be mounted on the desktop. it's self-mounting, hence the name. normal .img files are essentially disk copy documents that the program reads and mounts as a volume on the desktop. in order to make the self-mounting variety you need to use applescript commands or the program mentioned in one of the previous posts. you can't make a new .smi by just choosing the "create new image" menu item... that's an .img.

-r.

imac.usr
Banned
Nov 22, 2000, 12:55 PM

watch out for that contextual menu plugin; it hasn't been updated in a while and once upon a time caused me no end of grief on my system.

------------------
Press <RETURN> to continue.

FirstHawker
Nov 22, 2000, 01:30 PM

You should also note that while SMI's are convenient on MacOS 9, if you run them on OS X you'll wind up firing up Classic just to mount the disk image, which will probably then mount only on the OS 9 side. If it's a standard *.img file then MacOS X's DiskCopy can handle it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules