Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The NEW iBook will have a 13' Screen!...

The NEW iBook will have a 13' Screen!...
im_noahselby
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 06:21 AM

Seeing as how it looks like the upcoming Macworld won't be the traditional show we've all come to know and love, I now believe that we'll be seeing an ibook "makeover" sooner than expected.

Apple's challenge is designing a laptop that isn't going to compete directly with the 12' Powerbook. This is no easy feat, as already the similarities between the two are striking. Both have approximately the same dimensions, 12' screen, etc.

Here it is folks,

-It will feature a white enclosure

I can see Apple using translucent plastic around the edge of the screen, much like the iMac. Possibly, in even more ways, just look at how cool the white Apple keyboard looks! I also see Apple getting away from the greyish white they've primarily used on the ibooks and adopting a more imac snow colour.
100% chance white enclosure
90% chance translucent plastics

-A tray loading drive

Not even the iMac has a slot loading drive at this point and probbably won't for the forseeable future. Although it wouldn't be an expensive feature to implement, one must make sacrifices in order to bring the cost down and as long as tray loading drives are cheaper to make, the ibook will continue to use them. The slot loading drive will remain a Powerbook exclusive
100% chance

-Ports on the left/CD tray on the right

If it aint broke, don't fix it! Although it would be nice to have a usb port on the right side of the machine, one must realize that this isn't even a feature on the 12' Powerbook. It would likely be an expensive compromise and this is not something we'll be seeing on a budget priced machine.
100% chance

-13' screen

Apple knows that the 12' screen is extremely portable, cheap, and very well liked. The 14' screen on the other hand has had a much smaller market, but Apple also knows that their is a market for a larger screen. So instead of having a 12.1' screen and a 14' screen, why not simply standardize on a 13' screen for the whole lineup and drop the 14' screen! Although this would be a more expensive option, it would probbably pay off in the long run by lowering manufacturing costs and marketing. This makes a lot of sense, as it would give the people who truly demand a very portable machine further incentive to purchase the more expensive 12' Powerbook, while offering ibook users a screen that everyone can appreciate.
95% chance

Noah

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 06:24 AM

"This will be the year of the iBook"

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2003, 06:30 AM

I want to see a dock for ibooks optional, after working on a Toshiba with one it makes the home side so much easier. Plug the internet, keyboard, mouse and monitor into the dock, plug the ibook into the dock and away you go, need to leave, pull the ibook out and your done.

I use a Dell at home and I'm getting tired of plugging the monitor and keyboard into it and then unplugging it when taking it to work. Im already going to buy a ibook but a optional dock setup would just make me really really happy as well.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 07:03 AM

docks are horrible...

Apple will not implement a docking iBook. If they do I will eat my shoe!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2003, 07:21 AM

explain what is so horrible about a dock besides the fact Apple didnt invent it

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2003, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by Athens:
Because it'll only make sense if you have a notebook, with no built in cd-rom etc. iBooks are full featured computers and don't need the extra stuff a dock might provide.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2003, 08:03 AM

Except when you dont want to have to plug in a monitor, keyboard, mouse everytime u take it to work. My dell is a full notebook too, I still wish I could just plug it into a dock which the monitor keyboard mouse and usb devices stay pluged into. If you really dont want or need it as a option you dont buy it.

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2003, 12:12 PM

Docking station for the iBook:
http://www.smalldog.com/product/40506

I think that a lot of people would be unhappy if the iBook went to 13". I actually like the small form factor that a 12" LCD permits, and a 13" would require a bigger footprint. 12" and 14" models will be around for a while longer.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2003, 12:13 PM

we can hope. How exactly can there be a 100% chance? It is pure speculation,
we don't have time to stop for gas

Parvulesco
Mar 13, 2003, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Athens:
<cough cough> DuoDock in 1992 <cough cough>.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by GlobalNomad:
docks are horrible...

Apple will not implement a docking iBook. If they do I will eat my shoe!

I'll take you on that...

besides, with a 13" screen, the iBook would not be that larger, since there's much room to improve around the screen of the 12". A thinner border and we're in play. I doubt it anyway.

xtal
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Phoible:
Docking station for the iBook:
http://www.smalldog.com/product/40506

"Another option would be to purchase more than one iBookEndz Docking Stations. This would allow you to use the same iBook as a desktop machine in multiple locations, with no need for file transfer or synchronization."
How is THIS a feature of the Bookendz Dock? I'm pretty sure an iBook can be used in multiple locations without a dock...

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2003, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:

Apple's challenge is designing a laptop that isn't going to compete directly with the 12' Powerbook. This is no easy feat, as already the similarities between the two are striking. Both have approximately the same dimensions, 12' screen, etc.
So why would Apple have released a 12" PowerBook in the first place if it would be replacing the iBook?
Surely they would have released a 13" PB?
we don't have time to stop for gas

velodev
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 04:15 PM

13 is an unlucky number.

That is all.

mikemako
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by velodev:
13 is an unlucky number.
So is 666.66, but that doesn't stop Apple.
( Last edited by mikemako; Mar 13, 2003 at 06:50 PM. )
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
we can hope. How exactly can there be a 100% chance? It is pure speculation,
I said there was a 100% chance of a white enclosure, a tray loading drive and Ports on the left/CD tray on the right. It doesn't take a scientist to figure these specs out. If you see things differently, please share

So why would Apple have released a 12" PowerBook in the first place if it would be replacing the iBook?
How many times has Apple introduced a product only to pave the way for another products introduction. Just look at the 17' Powerbook, it's paving the way for the 15' Aluminum Powerbook. And I never said once that the 12' Powerbook would be replacing the iBook, not once! Apple will release the new iBook when it's ready, just like they will release the 15' Powerbook when it is ready.

What the 13' iBook will do is further distinguish it's line from the 12' Powerbook. It's obvious that Apple *HAS* to do something. When people start calling your new 12' Powerbook "the NEW iBook", something has to be done! There's no question about it! Apple won't solve this by re-designing the iBook with it's current 12' screen and bringing down the size, this will only complicate matters more. Hence, the decision to go with the 13' screen...

What many people don't realize is that the iBook will still be just as portable, good at note taking, and versatile as it's 12' counterpart. It will even be better, as the slightly larger screen will benefit everyone, not just those who demand a highly portable machine - this is where the 12' Powerbook comes in.

Surely they would have released a 13" PB?
The 13' iBook is a machine that can suit *everyone's* needs:
- students
- kids
- teachers
- people who just want a desktop companion
- people who can only afford a budget priced laptop
- people who just want a cheap laptop

Imagine seeing this on Apple's website:
"One screen size fits all! Introducing the new 13' iBook..."

The 12' Powerbook:

- creative professionals
- people on the go
- people who always want the best
- people who demand a powerful machine
- people who demand *the most* portable machine
- people who want a powerful desktop replacement/companion
- people who can afford a PowerBook

There is absolutely nothing negative about this move. This will benefit Apple, us and the way we use our computer.

Noah

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2003, 08:11 PM

The 13' iBook is a machine that can suit *everyone's* needs:
- students
- kids
- teachers
- people who just want a desktop companion
- people who can only afford a budget priced laptop
- people who just want a cheap laptop

Imagine seeing this on Apple's website:
"One screen size fits all! Introducing the new 13' iBook..."

The 12' Powerbook:

- creative professionals
- people on the go
- people who always want the best
- people who demand a powerful machine
- people who demand *the most* portable machine
- people who want a powerful desktop replacement/companion
- people who can afford a PowerBook

There is absolutely nothing negative about this move. This will benefit Apple, us and the way we use our computer.

Noah
While it is possible to make a 13 inch iBook there is nothing to support that it will happen. The burden to support this thread is on you because you started the topic. Nothing done by Apple so far has made it sound like this move would be likely. If 14" iBooks were selling so poorly its more probable that they would just discontinue the production of it or change the max resolution to make it more appealing.

Sorry but your thread is just based on hypothesis and at that not a very reinforceable one.

PS: Apple would not waste time making a dock again. No chance of seeing that.
( Last edited by Langdon; Mar 13, 2003 at 08:18 PM. )

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Langdon:
While it is possible to make a 13 inch iBook there is nothing to support that it will happen. The burden to support this thread is on you because you started the topic. Nothing done by Apple so far has made it sound like this move would be likely. If 14" iBooks were selling so poorly its more probable that they would just discontinue the production of it or change the max resolution to make it more appealing.

Sorry but your thread is just based on hypothesis and at that not a very reinforceable one.

PS: Apple would not waste time making a dock again. No chance of seeing that.
Langdon,

I feel no burden whatsoever supporting this thread. Which is why I have no problem replying to people like you.

Originally posted by Langdon:
If 14" iBooks were selling so poorly its more probable that they would just discontinue the production of it or change the max resolution to make it more appealing.
This wouldn't be a very wise move on Apple's part, as increasing the resolution on the 14' iBook would most definitely cut into Powerbook sales. This is a "pro" feature and not something to expect in the iBook line anytime soon. This is not a more probable senerio.

Remember, I never said the 14' iBooks were selling poorly, I simply stated that they have a much smaller market than the 12' has or 13' screens would have. Apple is smart enough to realize the potential for such a product. Everyone benefits from this move. The 13' screen just makes sense, if you Langdon, or if anyone else can come up with a better "hypothesis", I hereby challenge you...

Noah

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2003, 10:08 PM

Regarding a dock:

While I understand what Athens is intending with a dock, since the iBook can only use a monitor in mirror mode--not spanned or with a closed lid (without a hack), there isn't as much use. My (unasked for) advice: take the money used for a dock, and buy an AirPort card and base station. Work from the couch (or patio or bed or anywhere) and eschew the desk .

Regarding the 13" iBook, I would agree if not for the 12.1" PBook (in some thread in December or so, I posited the same notion). From now on, pretty much, the iBook will follow the small AlBook's lead: AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, nVidia graphics (perhaps). I would love to have a 13" screen if it were wide aspect--1152x768 which wouldn't make the form factor much bigger; however, I don't think the iBook would have better specs than the 12" AlBook. Apple saves money by spreading and applying its R&D across two models.

The 14.1" iBook is needed for those that find the 12.1" too tight--and it's a good model to offer teachers to complement the 12.1" models for the students.
( Last edited by scottiB; Mar 13, 2003 at 10:16 PM. )
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

iamnid
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 10:19 PM

I'm not sure why the need for a dock is so necessary. You mention having to unplug your monitor, keyboard and mouse everytime you to do and from work... how hard is it to plug in 2 things! The mouse will already be plugged into the keyboard so you just have to plug in the keyboard and the monitor! If you have a printer or any other USB devices, plug them all into a hub along with your keyboard and you still only have to plug in two things. Furthermore, Apple doesn't use legacy ports -- all connections simply plug in. I could understand your complaint if you were using a pc laptop and each time you had to connect the monitor, screw the connection tight, attach the printer cable, screw that connection tight etc.

I'm sorry but I just don't see any validity in your complaint.

As for a 13" display making the ibook bigger. I think it could fit in the current enclosure. There's a fair amount of space surrounding the display on current ibooks... i don't think that space is necessary as the 12" powerbook does not have that extra space -- hence it's smaller form factor than the ibook.

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
Regarding the 13" iBook, I would agree if not for the 12.1" PBook (in some thread in December or so, I posited the same notion). From now on, pretty much, the iBook will follow the small AlBook's lead: AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, nVidia graphics (perhaps). I would love to have a 13" screen if it were wide aspect--1152x768 which wouldn't make the form factor much bigger; however, I don't think the iBook would have better specs than the 12" AlBook. Apple saves money by spreading and applying its R&D across two models.
I dont see Apple offering a 13.3' screen (16x9 Widescreen 1152x768). It would be nice, but unrealistic.

A standard 13' screen with 1024x768 resolution would suffice.

Noah

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2003, 10:46 PM

As unrealistic as a 17" 1440x900 screen in a PowerBook. Or an Apple branded MP3 player.

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 10:50 PM

I guess miracles can happen

Noah

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2003, 12:34 AM

Sounds like an exciting year for Apple; first a 17" Powerbook, and now a 13 foot ibook!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2003, 12:57 AM

I thinkt the 12" ibook is too big.

I want a 10.4" or 10.6" under 3 lbs like Sony and Fujitsu.

The Fujitsu even has a build-in DVD in a sub-3lb enclosure. Why can't Apple do THAT!?!
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2003, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:

The Fujitsu even has a build-in DVD in a sub-3lb enclosure. Why can't Apple do THAT!?!
Knock the Fujitsu from a desk onto a tile floor in a 7th grade class room or throw it in a backpack with textbooks and whatnot. The iBook is designed (and marketed) for as much K-12 school use as not--probably more so.

xtal
Senior User
Mar 14, 2003, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Sounds like an exciting year for Apple; first a 17" Powerbook, and now a 13 foot ibook!
*LOL*

This is the year of the notebook after all.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2003, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by scottiB:
Knock the Fujitsu from a desk onto a tile floor in a 7th grade class room or throw it in a backpack with textbooks and whatnot. The iBook is designed (and marketed) for as much K-12 school use as not--probably more so.
You're right -- however, this is NOT the market where most of the sales originate. Most iBook users are regular people who want a laptop but either don't like or cannot afford Apple's professional offerings.

Personally, I fall into the "don't like" category. The 12" Powerbook sounds great on paper, but it's no faster than the high-end iBook, and it runs hotter.

I'd be just as happy with a 2.5 lb Powerbook if they made one.

AleroLeanne
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
*hahaha*

233mhz iMac � 1.2ghz iBook G4 � 4gig Pink iPod mini "sweet pea"

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Mar 14, 2003, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:

I've seen the Fujisu and Sony you speak of and although they are lightwheight and smaller in size, they don't nearly measure up in all the areas that count. Apple will not introduce a display smaller than 12' and especially not into the iBook line.

Noah

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2003, 05:50 PM

I've seen the Fujisu and Sony you speak of and although they are lightwheight and smaller in size, they don't nearly measure up in all the areas that count. Apple will not introduce a display smaller than 12' and especially not into the iBook line.
I disagree. I've know two people who have the Sony (a coworker, and my dad). It's a great laptop -- small, light, bright screen, good feeling keyboard. The only reason my dad didn't get the Fujitsu instead is that is has the "eraser pointer" instead of a trackpad, and no one likes those.

As I said I don't really care if it's called an iBook or a Powerbook, I just want one. It's too bad that people are all taking about making iBooks bigger, when the size was what made me get one over the Powerbook in the first place.

Kaatoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2003, 08:07 PM

First of all, this tread is similiar to the already established thread: "1 Ghz iBook G3?" Both are really discussing "The Next U/G of the iBook." Too bad both topics couldn't be combined to have a more comprehensive discussion of our opinions, desires and fantasies, regarding the next iBook.

Secondly, I disagree that a 13" ibook is a one size fits all great move. Having two sizes for the consumer, edu, small biz segments makes outstanding sense. 12" is just too small for many people but is exactly what others need. The 12" is good for students and true road warriors. However, lots of people just need the extra screen real estate and can not affort the PB pricing and/or don't need the G4 power. I have been considering a 14" iBook for business purposes and 14" is the smallest that I would go. Many business users work with documents, spreadsheets etc and also want to be able to show the screen to a potential customer or to business associate. 14" is the bare minmimum for these uses. A 15" PB would be great but its power and cost can not be justified for these purposes.

You are right that having two 12" models is generating alot of discussion and in some people's eyes confusion. However, lots of manufacturers have overlaping sizes without any problem. We should be happy that Apple is now strong enough to have enough models to have two similiarly sized products aimed at very different markets. This is sign of corporate strength, not product line confusion.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2003, 10:35 PM

The 14 inch has no additional screen real estate! It's a 1024/768 screen!
WHICH IS DUMB!
If apple is going to have a 14 inch screen it should compete with other 14 inch high res screens. That's why I'm suggesting a 13 inch high res screen. Obviously apple doesn't want people who buy PBs because of the screen size to go with an iBook, but at the same time, OS X is getting pretty cramped even on a 1024/768 resolution. I should know I'm running that on my iMac.

If they had a screen with the same DPI as the iBook, but added another inch to it's size that would be awsome! It'd be just under the size fo the 14 inchers, which from what I understand havn't sold well. It wouldn't compete with with the Power Books. And it'd be better than the old iBooks. Apple has to give us something better than AE, Bluetooth and a speed bump after 2 years with the same design.

Kaatoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2003, 01:58 AM

Yes, you are correct regarding resolution. However, for business purposes a "larger" screen is essential for illustrating charts etc. Looking at a 12" screen across a table, or using it for spreadsheets for most adults is difficult. Personally, I quite like choice between a cheaper, smaller, lighter and the slighlty more expensive, larger model. The smaller size has allowed Apple to bring in the low-end model at a good entry level price point. Something that the market has responded to.

My major points are that I wouldn't see a single ibook size as progress and that having both an iBook and PB at 12" isn't in and of itself a problem. Going to a single iBook size would be backtracking by Apple on an extremely successful product line. There are just too many examples to mention of companies running with successful products by extending the line, not by compressing offerings and reducing selection - product management 101.

Maybe you are correct, and Apple will come out with just a single size, and the iBook product line will become a single iBook product. I would see that as the marketing and product development equivalent of throwing in the towel and as Apple not being prepared to do the real work it takes to manage a portfolio of products across several product lines. In fact, I think the opposite is the case which is why I think that multiple models will remain. SJ has surprise me before. Time will tell.

I do agree a substantial increase in speed etc. is required or the line will become tired. Another pathetic 100mhz speed bump would be disappointing.

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Mar 15, 2003, 05:07 AM

Originally posted by Kaatoo:
Yes, you are correct regarding resolution. However, for business purposes a "larger" screen is essential for illustrating charts etc. Looking at a 12" screen across a table, or using it for spreadsheets for most adults is difficult. Personally, I quite like choice between a cheaper, smaller, lighter and the slighlty more expensive, larger model. The smaller size has allowed Apple to bring in the low-end model at a good entry level price point. Something that the market has responded to.
I've used a friends 12' iBook and although the screen is small, I had no problem viewing charts, documents, or webpages. And I don't know anyone who would want to look at an ibook screen, be it a 12' or 14' model all the way across a table, surely displaying your work on a projector would be a much more effective method for illustrating charts and presentations . Most people in the business sector who depend on impressing clients or displaying presentations through the means of a notebook computer should purchase a Powerbook - it would be a solid investment for your business.

Originally posted by Kaatoo:
My major points are that I wouldn't see a single ibook size as progress and that having both an iBook and PB at 12" isn't in and of itself a problem. Going to a single iBook size would be backtracking by Apple on an extremely successful product line. There are just too many examples to mention of companies running with successful products by extending the line, not by compressing offerings and reducing selection - product management 101.
I'll make things easy by giving you a real life example. People complained when Apple dropped the 15' Studio Display from their lineup of Displays. It was an affordable, adequet and still somewhat popular display. When it was first introduced it made perfect sense and had a much loved place in the lineup. But a few things changed:

- Apple released the flat panel iMac (both with a 15' and 17' display)
- Apple introduced new, superior LCD technology. (23' for example)

Did Apple drop the 15' Studio display right after these events? No. Apple cleared remaining inventory and waited for the right time to drop the display from its lineup. Yet, had Apple kept the display today we would have an even more affordable option available to us. Here are the points I'm trying to make:

- Just because Apple holds off on doing something, doesn't mean it wont happen. History has proven this.
- The 15' Studio Display had migrated to the iMac family. People who had previously purchased a low end PowerMac and a 15' Studio Display could now simply buy an iMac.
- Just because Apple drops or changes a product from their lineup doesn't necessarily mean a step back in progress, nor does it make them unsuccesful as a company for doing so. There may be companies out their such as Dell for example, who are successful with products by extending their line, but we are dealing with a very unique company here, Apple.

And now Apple is poised with a similar problem... We have the iBook lineup, in dire need of an update and we have the 12' Powerbook G4, nicknamed the "NEW iBook". We are going through a change here and something drastic is about to happen to the iBook lineup. Am I the only one who can see this? Does it make sense from a *business standpoint* for Apple to design a smaller, sleeker 12' iBook form factor when allready the two machines share striking similarities? If you take the G4 out of the 12' we are essentially left with an iBook. We cannot expect Apple to twiddle their thumbs releasing "700Mhz-800Mhz-900Mhz standard case closed" updates for another year can we?

Lets be realistic here, what incentive would we have to purchase a Powerbook G4 12' when the new smaller, sleeker iBooks are announced at 900Mhz/1Ghz or whatever Apple decides to put in the machine and better yet, at a far cheaper price? THERE IS NONE! Having the G4 alone is not good enough, and you bet Apple knows this.

So what does Apple do? We still have a 12' iBook and a 14' iBook so everything must be okay. This formula must be a success and these two lines can co-exist as they are, right? Wrong! Once stock of the current iBooks deplete Apple will finally have the opportunity to announce the new iBooks which will feature a slightly larger *snow* white enclosure and a 13' screen.

The Powerbook 12' will benefit from a larger, more defined market by those who above all else demand a portable and powerful machine.

The iBook will be a machine everyone can appreciate. It's small size, light wheight and form factor will charm everyone. You'll all see...

I do agree a substantial increase in speed etc. is required or the line will become tired. Another pathetic 100mhz speed bump would be disappointing.
The next update will more than make up for it...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Mar 15, 2003, 05:12 AM

Now that was a long post!

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Kaatoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2003, 11:46 AM

Noah,

That was a long post! Glad I am not reading it, or typing the reply, on a 12" notebook.

I have also played with a 12" many times. Very clear to look at and OK to type on for a short period of time but I wouldn't use one for business purposes on an ongoing basis. For students etc, a fine machine. For adults that want a semi-desktop replacement but cannot justify the $ or need the performance of a 15" PB, the 14" is a good alternative. However, we are now repeating ourselves.

You may be right re the single model approach. Let's both wait and see and then come back to this thread once the announcement takes place. I suspect that one of us will be disappointed with the direction, regardless of the outcome.

'Oh yeah, thanks for "making things easy."

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 02:04 PM

Im gambling on Noah's predictions.

calvintosh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2003, 03:22 PM

Thats going to be sweet! Thanks for the post

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 17, 2003, 05:32 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 6, 2004 at 10:54 AM. )

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 05:41 PM

Oh big words from a big poster, is that how you treat every one cuz if it is you must be a lonely SOB sobbing away in a dark corner not worth pitying since there isn�t enough pity in the world to amount to your empty shell of a person

How�s that for a response to your pointless flame starting reply that has no relevance to the topic or post which was a good post in the first place with a lot of thought out work?

Peace NOT WAR! And I mean that in more then one context.

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Mar 18, 2003, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
You are a tool. Shaddup.
If you dont like this thread, then you dont belong here...

Noah
( Last edited by im_noahselby; Mar 18, 2003 at 10:44 PM. )
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Mar 18, 2003, 10:53 PM

If you dont like this thread, then you dont belong here...

Noah
agreed. this is not a personal discussion. if you want to insult people, send them an email. or even better, knock on their door. im sure they'd be happy to see you.
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2003, 11:23 PM

I hope any new ibooks are more scratch proof, kinda scratched my budies iBook installing the air port card and really it shouldnt have LOL.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2003, 04:26 AM

I wouldnt mind seeing a memory card reader slot built in too but I guess those usb drivers are good enough

meducus
Mar 19, 2003, 06:59 PM

MAN U PEOPLE LOVE TO SPECULATE

anyways they could make the ibook have a 13inch screen without increasing the foot print........there is more than 1/2 inch of empty space on each side of the current 12inch screen enlosure.

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2003, 04:51 AM

interesting speculations, all here?

screen resolution is of paramount importance, thining 'bout MacOsX with all these tiny docks & icons & metal borders & etc.pp.

BUT:
i suppose, the iBook is meant as the low-budget, easy to wear, all day all night tool; a piece of typewriter; a better walkman; a box; a case.
nothing more.

so:
many specs you wish are more for the professionell nerd - what does the consumer need? speed & simplicity. a consumer doesn't care for the name of the internal processor (btw: why do you think did the pentium guys were so keen on their stickys "intel inside", hee?)

size will be the same; resolution gets better; speed accelerates; shell gets "rugger". full stop.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2003, 10:27 PM

Hum I want to see a glowing keyboard for when im in the dark

sworthy
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2003, 04:10 AM

...but how can the ibook be upgraded too much without becoming something more than the pb's?

What do you think about a rev b on the albooks, including the 15 incher at the same time as an ibook upgrade?

Kinda hard to be the year of the notebook when products are still being shipped for almost a full quarter.

hmm... I think apple's hardest decision will be the timing of updates, not what they will include.

Kaatoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2003, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by sworthy:
...but how can the ibook be upgraded too much without becoming something more than the pb's?
That is the issue, isn't it. Apple has a top down approach to managing its products. The top of the line, signature, products set the ceiling (with some feature exceptions at times) for other products. An alternative approach that some companies use is to allow each productline considerable freedom to compete in its market segment. In that case, iBooks would be u/g'd to compete with its Windows competitors in the consumer, edu, small biz segments, rather than being primarily constrained by the impact on the PB line. Unfortunately, this isn't how Apple appears to work. Product overlap seems to be a major sin within Apple product management strategy, and we all know that SJ guards his "prestige" models. Therefore, the answer to your question seems to be not much except a speed bump along with SOME other extras (FW 800?, 64VRAM?, faster bus? AE? etc.)

Noah gave us his virtually guaranteed (90%-95%)and his absolutely guaranteed (100%) predictions above. Time will tell. Maybe Apple will surprise us; this is the Year of the Notebook. But, don't hold your breathe; this is a successful product that Apple may be wise to just continue to evolve.

Forum Links
Forum Rules