Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > which apps did 10.1.3 break for you?

which apps did 10.1.3 break for you?
shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2002, 11:55 AM

thought we should probably have a thread devoted to listing apps which no longer work after 10.1.3 has been installed.

so, please post any new experiences/problems whatever and any fixes or workarounds you may have discovered.

Ill start with the weird Fetch 4.01 'cant-drag-and-drop' problem which Ive got on 2 G4s here at work

Also Word just lost a save dialog box, ie: It vanished before I could press cancel or OK, but left all the menus disabled, had to force quit Word before I could save the document again.

anyone else?

V
Senior User
Feb 21, 2002, 12:46 PM

My G4 500 DP won't go to sleep alone anymore! NO he goes but the fan continue to spin.I have to send him manually (front tower button or sleep option in apple menu) and it takes several seconds (20-30) before he listen to me! Weird bug. Notice an overall slowdown too...

MACALEX
Feb 21, 2002, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by shortcipher:
<STRONG>thought we should probably have a thread devoted to listing apps which no longer work after 10.1.3 has been installed.

so, please post any new experiences/problems whatever and any fixes or workarounds you may have discovered.

Ill start with the weird Fetch 4.01 'cant-drag-and-drop' problem which Ive got on 2 G4s here at work

Also Word just lost a save dialog box, ie: It vanished before I could press cancel or OK, but left all the menus disabled, had to force quit Word before I could save the document again.

anyone else?</STRONG>
All what i could say is that MacOS X is dead for me, I am going back to 9.2.2. InDesign 2.0 doesn't work for me now under MacOS 10.1.3.
I've got sick of deleting Adobe Register database file and MS Office sucks because you have to close port if u use the same s/n on the local network.
I am going back to CLASSIC, because classic will be always classic.

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2002, 12:55 PM

I also noticed delays when opening another partition, many delays when i click in menus. It's like all the experience(?) os x had is now lost. But dragging seems more fluid. Network init at start also takes much longer than before. I wish I hadn't installed this update...
AppleWatch - System Requirements: Female or male wrist | Left or right hand version | Ability to have a good time

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2002, 01:07 PM

Works fine for me! Burned two CDs last night in Toast, wrote a letter in Word, updated my exercise log in Excel, surfed the web on four different browsers (Internet Exploder, Netscape 6.2.1, Omniweb, and Mozilla, all open simultaneously), sent and received e-mail in Entourage, played a couple of games of Snood (in Classic), edited and printed a photo in Photoshop 7 beta, and just plain had a good evening! Did this on a G4/400 AGP, with 1GB RAM.

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: KarlG ]
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

uPod-wePod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 01:14 PM

On my dual 450 and 2 monitors (ATI and factory cards), DVD player quits saying configuration not supported - worked great under 10.1.2. Also, DVD player under 9.2.2 stopped working.
PRAM reset and fsck no help. Ideas?

namannik
Senior User
Feb 21, 2002, 01:16 PM

iTunes refuses to play any of my MP3s. It just sits there stuck at the beginning of whatever track I try to start.

namannik
Senior User
Feb 21, 2002, 01:25 PM

I dunno if this really was a 10.1.3 issue. A quick restart has solved the problem (for now, at least...)

livemotion
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2002, 01:36 PM

My classic apps which only run in classic ex dreamweaver, won't connect to the internet even though I'm connected in OSX via DSL. Has anyone had this problem before?

Guy Incognito
Banned
Feb 21, 2002, 01:44 PM

I think Audion 2.6.1 broke...can anyone confirm this? I only opened Audion once since 10.1.3 and as soon as I would push the play button I'd get the Spinning-Rainbow-CD-of-Death(tm) and would have to force-quit Audion.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2002, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by MACALEX:
<STRONG>

All what i could say is that MacOS X is dead for me, I am going back to 9.2.2. InDesign 2.0 doesn't work for me now under MacOS 10.1.3.
I've got sick of deleting Adobe Register database file and MS Office sucks because you have to close port if u use the same s/n on the local network.
I am going back to CLASSIC, because classic will be always classic.</STRONG>
That's casuse InDesign sucks and you need to buy another copy of Office. Not Apple's problems.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2002, 02:20 PM

I haven't had any problems, either. I've run iTunes, used my Zio! CompactFlash reader, used Appleworks 6.2.2...all without a hitch.
I haven't, however, tried much in Classic. I should be using Photoshop and Illustrator tonight, so we'll see.
::shrugs shoulders::

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2002, 03:50 PM

It didn't break any for me.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

dillerX
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2002, 04:09 PM

no, natta, nope.

I consider myself lucky though.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 21, 2002, 05:06 PM

VNC seems to have broken for me.

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2002, 05:14 PM

I have a Verto GeForce 2MX 400 which replaced my Rage Pro...the update basically made my Verto board useless. I've found workarounds to get it to show more than just two resolutions (800x600 and 1024x768) but I still havent' been able to find a solution for the OpenGL problem....

So, to answer the question it broke everything that uses OpenGL. If you think dragging windows is somewhat sluggish now, imagine what it would be without any 3d accelaration (for those of you have it now)...Add Quake 3 and Wolfenstein to that list as well. Haven't tried much else but I'm sure Quake 2, Starcraft are gonners too...

(on a side note, since when do you need to have cookies on to log in??)

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: brown monk ]
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

iSore
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2002, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:
<STRONG>I think Audion 2.6.1 broke...can anyone confirm this? I only opened Audion once since 10.1.3 and as soon as I would push the play button I'd get the Spinning-Rainbow-CD-of-Death(tm) and would have to force-quit Audion.</STRONG>
Working here. Reinstall, perhaps?
"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2002, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:
<STRONG>I think Audion 2.6.1 broke...can anyone confirm this? I only opened Audion once since 10.1.3 and as soon as I would push the play button I'd get the Spinning-Rainbow-CD-of-Death(tm) and would have to force-quit Audion.</STRONG>
do you have a playlist open then?
are you connected to an idisk?
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

axisdrama
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 06:55 PM

My date and time now only shows the military time in the menu bar? That's FUBAR!
--Life is short. Find meaning and live boldly.--

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2002, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by axisdrama:
<STRONG>My date and time now only shows the military time in the menu bar? That's FUBAR! </STRONG>
At least you didn't post this to a new thread...
DO SOME RESEARCH. Do a search for military time in this forum and see what you get. This topic only comes up every week when someone is too lazy to just click the damn search link.

Same thing with DVD regions and hiding updates in Software Update.

As far as 10.1.3 problems go, nothing here besides Fetch drag and drop. The audio lag bug was only sort of fixed on my TiBook. Now instead of holding up the system, it just cuts off whatever audio comes before the speakers get going.

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2002, 07:40 PM

MS Word 2001 no longer works in Classsic as smoothly as it used to before 10.1.3 update. Now the menu bar keeps flashing or disappearing every few seconds. Very annoying.

Is there a conspiracy between Apple and MS to make people buy Office X?
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2002, 07:56 PM

So far, everything I've tried works just fine, including Word 98.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

shadybirdstan
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2002, 08:02 PM

Not a single problem.

j3kyll
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2002, 08:42 PM

Quake 3 is stuffed, it plays however the screen size and position are mangled... weird - same refresh rate 120.
A computer without Windows is like a cake without mustard.

Sine
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2002, 08:44 PM

No problems here.

Moonie Johnson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 09:10 PM

The Finder.

"It's just a little airborne... It's still good! It's still good!"

raia
Feb 21, 2002, 11:45 PM

yeah the finder is acting up for me too...

in column view, i keep getting all kinds of distortions, making the window larger for instance, causes all kidns of redraw problems that aren't easy to get rid of.

Neilwhit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2002, 12:07 AM

Just tried Word 2001 in Classic. Worked fine, no menu bar problems. Office X works fine as well, as do most all other apps.

Do have the funny column view Finder probolems where it somehow resizes a single column all on its own. Can't determine when it is doing it, but its done it several times on 2 of my machines.
G5 2.0; 15 " AlumPB 1.5
Miscl. other Macs
10.4.x

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2002, 04:40 AM

Upon restarting the computer (not something I do too often), the Finder window which I have set to column view does not remember it's position and reverts to icon view. Playing .mpg files in QuickTime has become more choppy as well.

Neo.cmg

pilauh
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2002, 05:49 AM

I think Dantz Retrospect Public Beta is dead now...

Arghhhh..... !!

too bad...

Steve ? stop playing with us... !

late 2001 iBook (combo drive)
384MB, 20GB
OS X 10.2.4
Harman/Kardon SoundSticks

VRL
Senior User
Feb 22, 2002, 06:11 AM

Originally posted by brown monk:
<STRONG> Haven't tried much else but I'm sure Quake 2, Starcraft are gonners too...

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: brown monk ]</STRONG>
Starcraft is fine
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

RollTheBones
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2002, 06:41 AM

Something that would be more interesting to know is...

How many of you that got problems with the update have "mocked" with their systems - used TinkerTool or similar apps or commandline hacks?

I haven�t had any problems whatsoever since I slammed OS X on top of 9 (same partition). No broken apps, no instability...
Well, actually, one thing happened after the 10.1.2 update:
Before the update I could run Webstar webserver (with Lasso Plug-in) and FileMaker in classic, and then test from browsers in OS X. That couldn't be done anymore since 10.1.2. Haven't tried it in 10.1.3 though....

TiPB 400 256MB

Cheers!

krove
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2002, 06:52 AM

Question for Moki: Does classic window buffering work in this version?

How nice would that be?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

pmoc
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2002, 07:15 AM

SoundStick volume control doesn't work anymore on my PBG4. Sad.
Philippe

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 22, 2002, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
<STRONG>VNC seems to have broken for me.</STRONG>
Sorry, my mistake. It's not VNC. It's loginwindow. VNCserver is dependent on loginwindow being in a stable state... meaning it constantly respawning forces VNC to constantly respawn.

This is on an OS X Server machine that's running headless though. The errors in system.log seem to indicate it's looking for it's head and in not finding it, it's killing loginwindow and trying again--I think. I dunno, it's messed up, that's for sure.

Anyway, thanks 10.1.3. You're making my life easier.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2002, 08:04 AM

QuickTime Player 5.0.2 no longer plays MPEG movies well, but it will play all other types without troubles. If I bring that same movie into a QT aware app (GraphicConverter) it will play just fine.

Bruce O'Neal
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2002, 08:52 AM

well x.1.3 fixed my ongoing sound problem after waking from sleep. i'm hooked. it also speeded up my system a bit. what is there not to like?
"Define your own reality!"

livemotion
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2002, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by livemotion:
<STRONG>My classic apps which only run in classic ex dreamweaver, won't connect to the internet even though I'm connected in OSX via DSL. Has anyone had this problem before?</STRONG>
Does anyone know of a fix for this problem. Its the only reason that I still boot back into OS9 whne wwanting to upload stuff to my site via Dreamweaver. Unfortunately, I can't connect to the internet under 9 even though I'm already connected in 10. Anyone?

petej
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2002, 09:56 AM

<STRONG>Does anyone know of a fix for this problem. Its the only reason that I still boot back into OS9 whne wwanting to upload stuff to my site via Dreamweaver. Unfortunately, I can't connect to the internet under 9 even though I'm already connected in 10. Anyone?</STRONG>
I'm not having this problem. I've got 10.1.3 on a beige G3/300 connected to an SDSL link through a router, and I'm uploading via FTP in GoLive running under Classic just fine. My Mac gets its IP address from DHCP, which is supplied by the SDSL router.

How are you connected to the DSL link? How is your Mac getting its IP address? Are you using passive FTP if its needed?

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2002, 11:03 AM

Limewire.

livemotion
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2002, 11:06 AM

I have verizon DSL. In OSX I've set up the DHCP prefernces in the network panel, on OS9 I need to alunch this little app i think its called macoep which connects to verzion. However whne I'm in OSX, launch classic, when I try to open that little up i get an error, but its still pointless for me to connect in classic if I'm already connected in 10. Shouldn't the connection just carry over?

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2002, 11:13 AM

Like a previous poster. I can't put my dual USB iBook to sleep anymore. It never powers down and I have to perform a hard reboot (holding down the power button until it shuts down) to get the damn thing started again. It does seem "snappier" (window resizing is definitely faster for me) but I can't trust that it will go to sleep properly anymore. To the poster who quesitoned people "mocking" with their machines, this is a stock machine. No tinkering has been done other than changing a few folder icons.

For me 10.1.3 is a zero sum issue. I get better responsiveness but lose power management capability.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2002, 12:01 PM

The only thing I noticed was that I had to turn my burner down to 12x to avoid making coasters. It worked fine at 16x before.........
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

petej
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2002, 12:12 PM

<STRONG>I have verizon DSL. In OSX I've set up the DHCP prefernces in the network panel, on OS9 I need to alunch this little app i think its called macoep which connects to verzion. However whne I'm in OSX, launch classic, when I try to open that little up i get an error, but its still pointless for me to connect in classic if I'm already connected in 10. Shouldn't the connection just carry over?</STRONG>
Other people have experienced this problem, so you're not alone, but I can't find a resolution other than "It just started working!" It seems to be related to using PPP or PPPoE connections to the Internet -- Verizon DSL uses PPPoE. There seem to be two solutions that work reliably:

- Port Reflector, which you configure to reflect certain ports on localhost over to the PPPoE interface on the Mac OS X side (I haven't used this, so I can't give more details)

- an external DSL router (which I use), which allows your Mac to connect over a straight Ethernet connection, which Mac OS X shares with Classic reliably

Since this is an on-again-off-again problem, I'm guessing there's some other solution, but I don't know what it is. Try searching these forums, or searching the Apple discussion forums.

krove
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2002, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by namannik:
<STRONG>iTunes refuses to play any of my MP3s. It just sits there stuck at the beginning of whatever track I try to start.</STRONG>
I've noticed intermittent iTunes playing too. I'll try restarting, hoping it solves the issue. Adium also refuses to play incoming/outgoing IM sounds. Hmmm....

The 'Book sound problem is really annoying. Anyone tried that app that supposedly plays an inaudible sound all the time so that the sound hardware can't go to sleep (thereby eliminating sound cutoffs etc)? Curious...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Feb 23, 2002, 04:27 AM

Sound after sleep is broken. No sound at all.

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2002, 04:47 AM

no problems here at all.
ZiO works, Sound after sleep works, iTunes works, basically I don�t have any of the problems i�ve been reading about here or elsewhere.

bye.

gunnar
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2002, 12:39 PM

My Lacie 16x FireWire CDRW now only mounts at startup, no plug and play.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2002, 02:37 PM

Stuff that crashes like a m0f0 now:

iTunes
AOL Instant Messenger

Even after a restart, first time it loads. BAM. Unexpected quit.

Back to os9 for me.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules