Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > LCD Question

LCD Question
spatterson
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 01:35 PM

Hey guys... am trying to save some $$$ and was wondering if I can turn my 19" LCD computer monitor into a television. I can't go and buy a TV card because I have a laptop only. Furthermore I don't know if they make TV cards for Mac. I was wondering if there was an adapter on the market.

Thanks guys!

SVass
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 04:12 PM

spatterson  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 04:32 PM

Thats a cool option. But I already have a DVR though DishNetwork. I am looking for something that I can plug my cable cord into that will transmit that signal to my LCD. But that eyeTV looks really cool if I didn't have Dish allready

bmedina
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 08:52 PM

Ask your cable company if they have a cable box with DVI output.

brianb
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2004, 11:33 PM

The guy said he has DISH not cable so the CAble box is out. What you should be looking at is a "scaler" and take the S-Video (Y/C) cable to the scaler which will then transcode the signal to VGA for you LCD. DO NOT try this with the RF signal or the Composite video from the Dish Receiver, They will look like S**t. The two companies that we use at my work to buy from are Extron and Kramer. The box you are looking for would be about $100. Now with all of that said. Your image may still look bad because of two things. First is that LCD are progressive scan images and Video is an interlaced image. Big difference in image quality. Second Video has a resolution of 720x486 I am willing to bet that your LCD has a native resolution at or above 1024x768. Which means that the video needs to be stretched and enlarged to fit the screen. Those two thing can make it look bad. And to top it off if you are just looking for a larger screen you can pick up a 19" TV at Best Buy for $120. (and the image will probably look better)
Quicksilver 867, 700mhz iBook, 1st Gen iPod, iSight, Newton 2100, and a 128k Mac. All operating and used on a constant Basis

spatterson  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by brianb:
The guy said he has DISH not cable so the CAble box is out. What you should be looking at is a "scaler" and take the S-Video (Y/C) cable to the scaler which will then transcode the signal to VGA for you LCD. DO NOT try this with the RF signal or the Composite video from the Dish Receiver, They will look like S**t. The two companies that we use at my work to buy from are Extron and Kramer. The box you are looking for would be about $100. Now with all of that said. Your image may still look bad because of two things. First is that LCD are progressive scan images and Video is an interlaced image. Big difference in image quality. Second Video has a resolution of 720x486 I am willing to bet that your LCD has a native resolution at or above 1024x768. Which means that the video needs to be stretched and enlarged to fit the screen. Those two thing can make it look bad. And to top it off if you are just looking for a larger screen you can pick up a 19" TV at Best Buy for $120. (and the image will probably look better)
You hit it on the nail.

I was a bit concerned also about it being stretched to 1280 x 1240. Its a good bet that I will end up buying some LCD television, but I just wanted to explore all my options before spending that cash. I just don't have the space in my bedroom.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by brianb:
The guy said he has DISH not cable so the CAble box is out.
Ok, then he should ask DISH if they have a box that has DVI output. The scaling issue still applies, and if it's not the right kind of DVI, you'll get really bad black levels.

SVass
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2004, 11:36 AM

http://www.videolan.org/ has open source software that allows any computer with a firewire interface to display tv IF your tv tuner has a firewire interface. Some new tvs and the Motorola 6200 and 6412 digital cable boxes have active firewire outputs. sam

bmedina
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2004, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by SVass:
http://www.videolan.org/ has open source software that allows any computer with a firewire interface to display tv IF your tv tuner has a firewire interface. Some new tvs and the Motorola 6200 and 6412 digital cable boxes have active firewire outputs. sam
But that would require the computer to be connected the whole time.

All he needs is a cable/sattelite receiver with DVI output.

Forum Links
Forum Rules