Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > what video card for video editing?

what video card for video editing?
direinsanity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2004, 09:55 PM

I really want to get intovideo editing, I'm looking at a dual 1.8g5, but aneywho, what video card is the best, pleas list both the best for agp and pcix

brianb
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2004, 01:02 AM

for Video editing the graphics card that powers the monitor is not really that important. The power to edit video is coming from Processor, motherboard Bus speed, ram and hard drive speed. (the bigger the badder the better) The only question in a hard drive is wether the card will support Dual Monitors if that is what you are looking for.

If you are looking for PCI video cards that give you extra power to edit the video in uncompressed formats or something, that is a different story. There are cards such as the Pinnacle CineWave card which will give you some hardware boosts to edit uncompressed video. or there is a Firewire option from AJA called the I/O which can take video in from any source and capture it uncompressed or other types of formats thru the Firewire buss on the mac.

What you want to do I believe is to edit off of VHS and a mini-DV camcorder. for the camcorder all you need is a 6pin to 4pin firewire cable. For the VHS you could either loop the video thru the camcorder or buy a DV bridge from someplace like Conopus. The DV bridge is nice to feed video and audio out to your TV screen while editing though, so you can see what the picture really looks like.
Quicksilver 867, 700mhz iBook, 1st Gen iPod, iSight, Newton 2100, and a 128k Mac. All operating and used on a constant Basis

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Dec 7, 2004, 02:08 PM

Hai! I regret that I must transfer the immediate thred swiftly to its most appropriate topic listing! I am regretful for confusion from my action. I think it will be more pleased in Powermac!
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

Forum Links
Forum Rules