Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can I modify a "date created"?

Can I modify a "date created"?
steampie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2001, 09:01 PM

I want .pdf's to be viewed by default w/ my Acrobat Reader, not the full version of Acrobat (I have both). Is it possible to modify a "Date Created" for the executable file?

thanks,
[email protected]

Cipher13
Apr 24, 2001, 09:04 PM

What makes you think changing the date modified will help...?

Sure, grab ResEdit. File -> Get File/Folder Info, and edit it there.

------------------

Camelot
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2001, 03:41 AM

Changing the date of the executable won't make the MacOS prefer it for opening documents.

In general (and there is more than a degree of black art behind this), the Mac OS (assuming you're using 9.x) uses the most-recently installed application to open a document. This is due to the way the Finder maintains the Desktop database of applications.

On this basis, you should be able to (re)install Acrobat Reader after installing Acrobat and the Mac OS should use that.

There are variations to this rule, however.

The Mac OS will use an application in the same directory as the document if one is found. This means that if your .pdf is in your Acrobat Reader folder, it will open with that.

I've also noticed, but haven't seen any hard documentation on this, that if you have an open Finder window with Acrobat Reader in it, it will get used in preference to Acrobat.
You might be able to use this to your advantage by placing Acrobat Reader on your desktop rather than buried in a folder. That way it should always be visible and be preferred over Acrobat. Even if this doesn't work, you have the ability to drag a .pdf and drop it in the Reader icon.

[This message has been edited by Camelot (edited 04-26-2001).]
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

steampie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2001, 11:48 AM

both solutions appear to work....thanks so much for the help.

sam

Forum Links
Forum Rules