Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.1 Downloaded on Wintel??

OS 9.1 Downloaded on Wintel??
Storyboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2001, 03:46 PM

Hey,

Would I be able to download the entire OS 9.1 upgrade file using my Wintel T-1 connection at work, burn it to a CD, and then open it on my iMac at home? This would save a tremendous amount of time and it might not even get me fired.

Thanks,
Story
Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

iMac Core2Duo 2.16GHz/3G RAM/250G HD OSX 10.6.6
Various Peripherals

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2001, 03:55 PM

In theory this should work but I doubt that you'll be able to burn it in the right format (HFS for your iMac, or any mac). Like most things, Macs can do what PCs can but PCs cannot do what Macs can. In this case this means that a Mac can burn a cd for a PC but I'm pretty sure a PC cannot burn a cd for a Mac. Try it and see what formats it offers you to burn your cd in.

Hope this helps.
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

twistedface
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2001, 04:49 PM

That is very untrue...You can burn a CD on a PC and read it on a Mac without even noticing it...I have done it many, many times.

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2001, 04:55 PM

I know you can burn a copy of a cd (cd to cd) but my roommate was always unsuccessful when trying to burn me a copy of, say, an image file (.img). The Mac OS 9.1 update that Storyboy will dowloading will be in a similar format which is why I think he'll run into problems...
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

xyber233
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2001, 05:06 PM

It will work fine. My friend has a very fast DSL connection and he has a Dell. He downloaded it for me. I believe it is in a compressed format so you wont have to bother with img problems.

entropic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2001, 11:37 AM

Most Wintel cd burning sfotware defaults to ISO-9660 as its format for burning a CD. The Mac can understand this (unless you have an older system where the 9660 support was an extra extension and you have disabled it...). You will want to make sure that the Wintel does not try to expand the file you download and that the burning software does not try to make a disk out of the .SMI, rather you want it to burn the file as a file. You might make sure of this by putting the 9.1 file in a folder and burning the folder.

-entro
--------
Clever sig here.

g4-guy
Feb 21, 2001, 02:26 PM

OK, here's what I did.
  • Downloaded the update files to my PC at work using our ISDN line.
  • Copied the files to my Zip disk.
  • Took the disk home.
  • Shoved in in my G4.
  • Copied the update to my HD.
  • Installed the update.

It went without any problems. Just try it.

------------------
Regards,
g4-guy
PowerBook G4/800
Mac OS X 10.2.8
512MB RAM/40GB HD
Combo Drive, Airport Card

Storyboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2001, 03:33 PM

Thanks for all the insights. I have the file saved to a disc and I'll give it a go when I get home this evening.

I'm thinking I'll split my HD into a few partitions, so that I can update to 9.1 with less disturbance to my current 9.0.4 which seems to be working quite well these days.

I'm assuming that I can copy the current system folder from a backup to two different partiitions, and then simply update one of them???

Thanks again. I'd be dangerous without you all.
Storyboy

------------------
"The only consistant people I know are dead."

iMac DVSE 400/128/13
OS 9.0.4

Various Peripherals

Storyboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2001, 10:08 AM

Just for the Record:

The Wintel Download went off without a hitch. I took entropic's advice and burned the smi in a folder and, though I have not yet applied the update, any issues I might encounter now will have nothing to do with the cross-platform download.

Thanks for all the help.

Various Peripherals

SG3
Feb 22, 2001, 07:44 PM

I thought it wasn't possible at first to burn proper Mac files (all icons and folders, even CD images!), but on the PC there's an app called "Nero" and there's an option to burn HFS images. (otherwise you can plug in a Mac formatted SCSI drive and Nero will be able to read it- I don't have first hand info on this though)

You can obviously use the "CD Copy" option (using any good PC burning app) if you want to say make a backup of the MacOS 9.1 CD- it'll make an exact duplicate, no probs, format will be same as well.

However if you want to create a backup for say your work and you want it so when you insert the CD on your Mac the icons are all there and proper file names are displayed, etc, follow these steps using Toast:

1) Prepare a CD with all the files and goodies as usual with Toast
2) When ready and you have the Toast interface in front with all the files as if you're ready to burn on the Mac (but you'll be doing it on the PC instead!) go to the "File" menu and select "Save as Disc Image".
3) Toast will create the image of your CD and you can now safely transfer the file over to the PC (don't worry about disk image corruption like what happens with Shrinkwrap, etc)
4) Once the Toast image is on the PC go to Nero and under "File" menu (I think) select "Burn Image".
5) Select your Toast image and burn as "HFS". (the default is set to ISO or something like that!)
6) Make a cup of coffee while your Mac CD is being burnt (I don't mean it that way either hehe!)

Hope this helps and I've done it many times so it does work! There might be instructions that I've given that are not quite right as I'm doing it from the top of my head, so if there's anything just e-mail or reply here

Cheers,

SG3

Forum Links
Forum Rules