Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Drag and Drop CD-RWs?

Drag and Drop CD-RWs?
Ster
Oct 25, 1999, 09:37 PM

Hi Everybody,
Anyone out there know how to get the OS to treat CD-RWs as normal removeable media? I'd like to be able to compress stuff directly onto them for archives, but it seems the only way I can do it is to save the archive onto the HD first, then burn the archive onto the CD-RW using Toast. The CD-RW shows up on the desktop as Read-Only, and blank CD-RWs are just ejected from the CD-RW Drive, without bringing up an option to format them. Can the Mac OS do this? How?
System Info: G3 All-In-One 266; 96 MB RAM; RAM Doubler set to 96MB (File-Mapping Only); Mac OS 8.6; QPS Que! CD-RW USB Drive; Toast 3.8 USB, Belkin BusPort USB Card.
Thanks In Advance,
Ster

ao107
Oct 26, 1999, 02:10 AM

Try Adaptec's DirectCD
More info at: http://www.adaptec.com/products/overview/directcd.html

Graeme
Oct 26, 1999, 09:44 AM

I think it would be really cool if Mac OS could automatically treat a CD-RW as a big floppy, without any additional software, kind of like they apparently do with DVD-RAM.

Unfortunately, you do need the (IMHO overpriced) Adaptec software to do this; I've not been able to find any other way.

(I have a beef with Adaptec about this. They've released two updates of their DirectCD software for PCs, with no corresponding updates for the Mac. From the person I corresponded with in sales, they have no plans to update the Mac product, and to make matters worse, DirectCD for the Mac is $69, but DirectCD for the PC is bundled with CD Creator. Grr.)

-g

questor
Oct 26, 1999, 10:29 AM

Two notes about Adaptec DirectCD:
1) It treats CD-RW no better than it treats CD-R: it's write-once. Deleted files are lost space. With CD-RW you can erase the disc and start over, but that's all.
2) Adaptec is very slow with its updates. I recently had to return a 6x4x16 CD-RW to trade it for a 4x4x16 to have something that DirectCD would support.

jnischik
Oct 26, 1999, 07:27 PM

Get a good active terminator. If your SCSI bus tanks during a long write to disk, you will likely have an unreadable disk once you reboot. You will need to completely erase the CD-RW and start all over. This could be really frustrating if you're using CD-R's.

Even in a perfect world, it's somewhat dangerous to initialize a CD-RW and leave it mounted on the desktop and open for a long time. Most of the time I just assemble stuff on my hard drive first and burn it all in one session. The idea of using CD-R's as "big floppies" doesn't seem possible.

DVD-RAM on the other hand works just like a big Zip disk. In it's current version, it's kinda slow and only holds 2.6gb per side. But that will change soon. I love my DVD-RAM drive for archives and backups.

Forum Links
Forum Rules