Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 56)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Maybe the Eins, I didn't try that one, but neither the Zwei nor the Drei worked in the Condensor.
Worked for me... I've currently got one of the circle ones.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'm sure railcraft would get some serious play. I also noticed they have redstone pieces that serve as the various "gates" that blaze knows how to utilize.
Yeah they added some of the pieces you'd need. But you're still forced to stop someone when they pass. Well they do have blocks to slow you down a little but wiring that up would be even harder. I'll have to look at the wireless redstone stuff to see if it allows for synced clocks.

Yeah they have all the basic logic gates and more complex ones like the t flip flop (good for doors) and crazy sequencers etc

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 31, 2012, 12:12 PM

Well they have switches, so with some ingenuity you could probably send someone on rails past locations.

I'll have to look into recreating the castle gate from our first world, if I can.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2012, 01:21 PM

It was a T flip flop, which should be easy in redpower and all the buttons were wired to the input and the doors were wired to the output, but one side was inverted. Now that double doors behave the same way you don't have to worry about left or right either.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2012, 05:28 PM

Okay I tested, the powerlink makes wood pipe pull a stack at a time.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2012, 06:44 PM

Well this beast is now sitting in my basement, first go will be the Mark 1 setup shown on the wiki page. I have yet to make all the coolant cells and enough heat dispersers, but I have got a ton of Uranium Cells just waiting to start being used.

One question: The wiki says the Mass Fabricator can take HV current directly from a HV Transformer or a MFSU directly.....so does that mean it can take power directly from the Reactor with neither of those things?

Edit: Despite no real information, I re-watched the Duncan episode where he indeed hooks his Mass Fabricator directly to the Reactor, so here goes nothing...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2012, 07:27 PM

Well it works, and is currently powering the Mass Fabricator. Runs really fast with scrap, but when empty the power from the HV Array certainly puts it to shame. Certainly less work than making an HV array, but it still makes me nervous, even though I followed the guidelines ensuring it will long run out of Uranium before anything gets out of hand.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2012, 08:59 PM

Oh yes. Definitely PowerLink for you're wooden pipes. Pulls a stack at a time. I can see were I could get into trouble automatically converting 25% of my iron into refined iron causing more than 2 types to show up at the furnace. But wow. Unfortunately the pipes are close enough on the output that there's no place for golden pipes. I have two extra chests in there to catch junk that can't or I don't want fed to the condenser. Like that orange pipe from the quarry.

4736/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
4737/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
4738/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
4739/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

It was a complete gut job with about 2x as many diamond pipes so now anything I don't actively filter goes to the condenser.

For the curious. How to switch from build craftpipes to redpower pipes.
4740/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 1, 2012, 06:02 AM

Well this beast is now sitting in my basement, first go will be the Mark 1 setup shown on the wiki page.  I have yet to make all the coolant cells and enough heat dispersers, but I have got a ton of Uranium Cells just waiting to start being used.

One question:  The wiki says the Mass Fabricator can take HV current directly from a HV Transformer or a MFSU directly.....so does that mean it can take power directly from the Reactor with neither of those things?

Edit: Despite no real information, I re-watched the Duncan episode where he indeed hooks his Mass Fabricator directly to the Reactor, so here goes nothing...
THat's not scary or anything. FYI, Obsidian's blast resistance is extremely lowered in Tekkit. You'll want to use reinforced stone.

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Okay I tested, the powerlink makes wood pipe pull a stack at a time.
Oh my. Guess I'll modify my layout tonight.

---

Made the transmutation tablet. Working in conjunction with the quarry last night (removing edges, mining nearby), I was able to utilize it a few times clearing out cobble and other non-ores. I now just convert the EMC to obsidian, which takes little space for a lot of EMC. Oddly the tablet seems incapable of accepting/learning redstone. Odd.

My third quarry completed its run. I'm now working to create interesting bottoms, as the bedrock bottoms are very craggy and uneven. I'll post pictures later. I do have to say, using the electric jetpack just working with the quarry and exploring really burns through it quick. I may build a spare to keep in my inventory at this point.

Upgraded my first three energy condensers from Mk II to Mk III. Took a good deal of the diamond I was sitting on. The three working in tandem, however, make Aeternalis fuel at a break neck speed. I upgraded both my Kleins to the second level. I left the game running when I hit the gym and when I returned I had enough Aeternalis to pay to upgrade my other three energy condensers. At this point, my cobble generator seems utterly pointless. Maybe if I ever get to scrap.

I had that strange experience again last night where I managed to transmute a couple pieces of obsidian before I suddenly couldn't anymore. Very confusing.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2012, 06:26 AM

Redstone is a fuel on the tablet and needs to be copied with other fuels (nikolite, glowstone, coal) or with the EMC of a Klein Star. If you have any EMC remaining in it from copying matter you need to clear it out before copying or learning the fuel recipes. Also, as you said, the whole thing bugs out once and a while anyways.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 1, 2012, 06:29 AM

My bad, transmuting the obsidian was with the ALchemical Eye.

The tablet learned a lot of items I just threw in for it to burn as fuel. It wouldn't accept the redstone as fuel.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2012, 06:35 AM

Oddly the tablet seems incapable of accepting/learning redstone. Odd.
I had that strange experience again last night where I managed to transmute a couple pieces of obsidian before I suddenly couldn't anymore. Very confusing.
If you look at the top of the tablet it does matter or fuel. redstone is a fuel. usually sticking a klein in there an sucking up any leftover emc will reset it to no-lock.

I do have to say, using the electric jetpack just working with the quarry and exploring really burns through it quick. I may build a spare to keep in my inventory at this point.
I keep a batpack in my alchemy bag for the mining lazer but there's no way to use it with the jetpack.

At this point, my cobble generator seems utterly pointless. Maybe if I ever get to scrap.
Having an infinite bucket of cobble is very handy when using the tablet for cheap items. Like stacks of dirt or marble. Or just place the cobble then use the philosophers stone to transmute them in place. If you want to use a klein then you need a sample to put center right or all I see are red matter collectors and other high emc stuff.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 1, 2012, 07:43 AM

If you look at the top of the tablet it does matter or fuel. redstone is a fuel. usually sticking a klein in there an sucking up any leftover emc will reset it to no-lock.
I clarified above I was talking about the Mercurial Eye

I
Having an infinite bucket of cobble is very handy when using the tablet for cheap items. Like stacks of dirt or marble. Or just place the cobble then use the philosophers stone to transmute them in place. If you want to use a klein then you need a sample to put center right or all I see are red matter collectors and other high emc stuff.
I still find the Energy Condenser more accessible. Drop item in, grab as many stacks as I want, placed diamond back in again, DOne.

What do you need dirt or marble for? When I'm landscaping and building I just use the Mercurial Eye.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2012, 10:07 AM

See when I drop say wood into the energy condenser the entire thing fills with wood and jams up because there's half a million emc in it. Then I have to put the redmatter back in up top and then pull two more stacks out to get it to continue processing. Meanwhile the line from the quarry is dropping on the floor.

I don't yet have a Mercurial Eye. I'm gonna make a blaze grinder next so i can swap the red matter sword with a sharpness diamond sword. I know that can one hit kill creepers this thing doesn't.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 1, 2012, 10:30 AM

A. I have two energy condenser, but even if I didn't your problem is having the EMC sitting there unused. I choose diamonds to "store" the energy as they're quite a good middle ground compared to some of the high level EMC items. So if I need some smooth stone, I go to the chest, open it and remove the diamond from the top slot and stack it along with the rest of the diamonds in the condensed slot and move them to my inventory. Place the smooth stone in the top slot, pull what I need, replace the diamond in the top slot.

For more expensive items (glowstone, redstone), I just add diamonds until I have the number I need. It's really fairly efficient.

andi*pandi
Aug 1, 2012, 10:57 AM

1.3 is out! Who is upgrading?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 1, 2012, 10:58 AM

I imagine the answer is no, but can you enchant dark matter tools?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2012, 11:18 AM

Youre right. They don't enchant. It does 7 hearts now with sharpness 5 it would be 14.

I'm as usual gonna let 1.3.1 soak for a day or so before updating the server.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 1, 2012, 11:20 AM

Fair enough, they're pretty damn strong to begin with. Using the right-click on the dark-matter pick axe while flying up and down Quarry walls was amazing useful.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 1, 2012, 11:20 AM

I'll upgrade my laptop to try it out later tonight, but I'll wait until Blaze is ready to update the server before doing my main box.

(of course, with the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me if Blaze ponders a tekkit server as well...)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 1, 2012, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
(of course, with the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me if Blaze ponders a tekkit server as well...)
Shhhh... don't jinx it.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 1, 2012, 11:57 AM

For me, I rather like vanilla Minecraft. Finding was to accomplish things using the existing system is challenging as it is. From looking at the tekkit wiki (haven't tried it yet) I suspect the complexity would make it less fun... at least for me (read as: I lose enough time on the game as it is )

That said, it appears you can still 'limit' yourself to vanilla minecraft, so whatever happens to the server is fine with me.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2012, 12:18 PM

A. I have two energy condenser, but even if I didn't your problem is having the EMC sitting there unused. I choose diamonds to "store" the energy as they're quite a good middle ground compared to some of the high level EMC items. So if I need some smooth stone, I go to the chest, open it and remove the diamond from the top slot and stack it along with the rest of the diamonds in the condensed slot and move them to my inventory. Place the smooth stone in the top slot, pull what I need, replace the diamond in the top slot.
For more expensive items (glowstone, redstone), I just add diamonds until I have the number I need. It's really fairly efficient.
But with a Klein Star and the Tablet there is no wasted time switching things around. If I need 4 cobble I just fire out a whole stack and throw the rest in the condensor. It's like having one giant bank account instead of a bunch of prepaid cars to sift through. I still use the Condensor once and a while, but I have found the Tablet to be so much more useful in the long run, I let the Condensor sit and idly make me Dark Matter, which charges up the Klein Star once and a while.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 1, 2012, 12:19 PM

I don't need the condenser for piddling stuff. I have the Mercurial Eye for that.

We're going in circles.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2012, 01:02 PM

/me reads up on mercurial eye

Things not to put in the mecurial eye:
1. TNT
2. Chicken eggs
3. Lava source blocks (nmi is in tekkit)

The thing is I've been playing a little more than a week and I expect to have a full set of quantum armor tonight. That's an endgame item. I'd have to afk in a volcano to die in a reasonable amount of time. There's no way I'm going into compute craft and programming in forth. I could play with rail raft but with an alchemists pouch and the flight ring I don't need them. You know and can see from the pictures how much minerals we can collect in 30 minutes. I've only died once. I was taking the nether shortcut with just the jet pack and hit a pigman while sniping a ghast with the bow. It's too easy. I think my next project will be a cooked chicken machine without using EE but it will probably only take 2 fancy blocks and a pressure plate. But that's just for lols because I don't need food.

Oh and if you really want EMC fast put a bone in you're energy condenser. Pump them out with a powerlink and into a fully upgraded macerator and back into the energy condenser. Bone 96 emc, bonemeal 32 emc = x3. Macerator makes 5 bonemeal per bone. That's 64 emc per cycle as fast as the macerator can run.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 2, 2012, 05:57 AM

The thing is I've been playing a little more than a week and I expect to have a full set of quantum armor tonight. That's an endgame item.
What's the vanilla equivalent?

I
Oh and if you really want EMC fast put a bone in you're energy condenser. Pump them out with a powerlink and into a fully upgraded macerator and back into the energy condenser. Bone 96 emc, bonemeal 32 emc = x3. Macerator makes 5 bonemeal per bone. That's 64 emc per cycle as fast as the macerator can run.
Sounds like they need to address that.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 2, 2012, 06:24 AM

I tried the energy link last night, it works nice, but my other set-up was functionally better. The Energy Link continues to drain energy constantly, regardless of what it's powering, which can get real ugly.

I also went Stronghold hunting. What a pain in the ass. The stronghold seems to be located underneath the Le Brea Tar Pits. Just oil, everywhere. Insane amounts. I kept digging around underground trying to get to it and I kept running into caverns full of oil. Eventually I found it and there's oil leaking into the stronghold. If there's an ender portal, it's somewhere next to the oil. I think I'm going to have to pump it all out.

At the end, I made a portal to get home quicker and the damn thing still links to my home's portal even though it's over 650m away. Jesus, must everything be difficult?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2012, 07:02 AM

What's the vanilla equivalent?
That's my point there is no "you just win" tech in vanilla. Armor is a bit too strong now but you can die. I was building the Blaze spawner by standing in it, while the blazes were spawning. Even with fire resistance on diamond armor that would be a bad idea never mind I was standing in lava too.

I tried the energy link last night, it works nice, but my other set-up was functionally better. The Energy Link continues to drain energy constantly, regardless of what it's powering, which can get real ugly.
You can turn it off with a red-stone signal. I have joules to spare and it's running the quarry too so its on all the time anyway.

I also went Stronghold hunting. What a pain in the ass. The stronghold seems to be located underneath the Le Brea Tar Pits.
There should be others. It would probably be faster to go find a different one. Unless you want all that oil. Just make that ring that shoots a bazillion arrows and kill the ender dragon instantly.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 2, 2012, 07:09 AM

That's my point there is no "you just win" tech in vanilla. Armor is a bit too strong now but you can die. I was building the Blaze spawner by standing in it, while the blazes were spawning. Even with fire resistance on diamond armor that would be a bad idea never mind I was standing in lava too.
There's also far less to do or make. After a certain point in the game, instead of the excitement of making it to bedrock or mining my first diamonds it becomes a gigantic grind to refill used stores or find unmined areas. Yeah, I can see Tekkit as overpowered. However vanilla minecraft is a never-ending grind with easily exhaustible options.

As it stands now, I"m quite vulnerable whenever I use my jetpack, and it runs out of juice fairly easily.

You can turn it off with a red-stone signal. I have joules to spare and it's running the quarry too so its on all the time anyway.
I'm aware however it's going to require some rethinking compared to the previous design with redstone engines.

There should be others. It would probably be faster to go find a different one. Unless you want all that oil.
I forget, which is limited, Strongholds or Fortresses?

It took so long to find I'm not sure I'm up for looking for another. I just may not putz around with it for a while.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2012, 07:44 AM

There are an infinite number of Nether Fortresses, Supposedly there are 3 Strongholds. Once you find one the other two should be easy. The wiki says they're 120deg apart from 0,0.

http://ilurker.rooms.cwal.net/portal.html

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2012, 08:44 AM

I'd have to agree with Dakar, vanilla Minecraft's options get exhausted very quickly, and at a certain point there is nothing to do but build things and explore a comparatively sparse world. In Tekkit, even with the Nano Armor I'm nigh indestructible, even when standing in lava death would take a while. I have unlimited flight and the ability to snap my fingers and have enough of any building material as my heart desires. I'm sure it too will become tedious, but it has been a welcome change, for sure.

I watched some YogBox videos and it piqued my interest, so I started one of those too. Much more adventure oriented, bases filled with skeletons and chests full of goodies, villages with NPCs and rudimentary trade systems. I suggest giving at least the videos a look.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 2, 2012, 08:58 AM

I've watched some of the Yogbox videos. I don't know, something about it either seems amateurish, unpolished, or shoe-horned in. I think part of my problem is I don't consider this an adventure game, so those aspects are nigh-meaningless. Are there quests? I can't imagine they're anymore than "Gather X amount of resources and deliver them to Location/Person Y".

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2012, 09:40 AM

I can on a individual basis put people into creative mode on the server. If you really just want to build stuff with no risk or difficulty. You'll have to take care not to ruin it for people who aren't in creative mode.
As for adventure, then you'd probably want one of the dedicated adventure / challenge maps.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 3, 2012, 05:51 AM

So, how's everyone's testing of 1.3.1 going? I'd love to test it myself, but work is kicking my butt this week.

andi*pandi
Aug 3, 2012, 05:55 AM

I might update the kid computer this weekend.

Lots of tree harvesting. Only up to about 20 saplings though, not enough. Can't wait for sideways logs in the new version, it will fit in my plans nicely.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2012, 06:43 AM

The only bug I see written up is suffocating when water pushes you into a block. The are some posts about problems when entering the nether and riding carts in the nether. I'd suggest studying how the new boat and cart ejection works, we may have issues with that.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 3, 2012, 06:46 AM

I can on a individual basis put people into creative mode on the server. If you really just want to build stuff with no risk or difficulty. You'll have to take care not to ruin it for people who aren't in creative mode.
As for adventure, then you'd probably want one of the dedicated adventure / challenge maps.
If this is a vague offer to me, it's appreciated but vanilla minecraft is still vanilla. I like toying with the automation processes it Tekkit, but more importantly, I like all the new blocks and gadgets available to me.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2012, 08:46 AM

Yeah, the problem isn't infinite everything, it's limited things to do in general. That's why I never really played Creative mode, it's just the same vanilla ice cream just without the sense of reward. Tekkit is awesome because there's more ways to accomplish the same thing. I think a co-op Tekkit server would be tons of fun, hell, I could just work on power production and distribution.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2012, 08:51 AM

You mean like this?

Crazy Nuclear Reactor.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 3, 2012, 09:00 AM

Yeah, the problem isn't infinite everything, it's limited things to do in general. That's why I never really played Creative mode, it's just the same vanilla ice cream just without the sense of reward.  Tekkit is awesome because there's more ways to accomplish the same thing.  I think a co-op Tekkit server would be tons of fun, hell, I could just work on power production and distribution.
You get me.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2012, 09:10 AM

You mean like this?
Crazy Nuclear Reactor.
I'd have to read up and understand a lot more about nuclear reactors before getting that far, but yeah, I think power production is cool as hell. A lot more resource-intensive, but I think having one huge HV array with transformers every 40 blocks could supply a whole server with reliable, safe power.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2012, 09:41 AM

Chunk loading issues would make that in advisable. You'd need a lot of world anchors. I'd use teleport pipes and power crystals.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 3, 2012, 09:57 AM

*reads up on world anchors*

Ooo, thanks for that.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 3, 2012, 05:40 PM

(not related to any of the other conversations... )

You know, some days walking back home from 'stupid' is a long, long, looooong walk...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2012, 03:30 PM

New favorite use for the Mercurial Eye, never ending torch dispenser.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2012, 05:43 PM

So I googled around and tried joining any number of Tekkit servers, with no whitelist of course. Most were down or full, and the rest had a giant laundry list of additional mods needed to connect.

Booooo

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2012, 07:57 AM

Server is updated to 1.3.1

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2012, 09:04 AM

Soooooo, after tinkering around trying to get a few servers running, Like downloading the newer version of tekkit, then my single player world was.... well, more or less erased.

So that sucked.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2012, 09:27 AM

TimeMachine!!! Over the holiday my minecraft crashes with out of memory and it "erased" my world. I copied the level.dat file from the zip archive i copied it onto that machine with and recovered everything but my inventory.

EE inspired blaze grinder. I use the special ability of the sword to kill them all then go in an get the stuff. There's a door behind BTW
4820/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 5, 2012, 12:27 PM

OK, with the 1.3.1 update... SkyRail just got very... interesting. 'dismounting' a minecart on the actual track.... well... hope the random works in your favor

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 6, 2012, 06:21 AM

New favorite use for the Mercurial Eye, never ending torch dispenser.
I'm surprised it works.

I've been finding the Transmutation Tablet fantastic for synthesizing necessities on the run.

Soooooo, after tinkering around trying to get a few servers running, Like downloading the newer version of tekkit, then my single player world was.... well, more or less erased.
So that sucked.
Wait, so were you trying to host your own server or you were having trouble joining others? Sucks about losing your world.

I spent yesterday finally building my proper house (vs. a workshop). I'm also fine-tuning the workshop. I took several pics I will hopefully post soon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules