Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > A trticky questtion about apple care .

A trticky questtion about apple care .
sadpandas
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2006, 03:36 AM

I asked this question in my MONSTER of a post below about my broken screen but i thought i would ask i t again in its very own thread hoping to draw more attention from the Apple Care Experts or anyone that has had mucho experience with apple care. So, here we go;

let me get you up to date; I dropped my powerbook a couple weeks back and had thte screen fixed but tthe bottom is still showing some dents, picts can be found here (Picts are about half way down).... Anyway, onto the story; About 4-5 months ago i contacted Apple Care regarding the fact that my 't' key on my keyboard does this when i barely touch it 'ttttttttttttt', and i do mean barely, they said that it indeed fall under the Apple Care program and they would fix it at no cost. They sent me out a box but i was on the road when they did and when i got home i had 2 projects to finish so I never sent it in. Apple Care wrote me a letter saying my claim has now expired. I know i should have boxed it up and lived without it because whenever i type anything with a 't' it takes me forever to go back over it and erase the extra 't's (like im doing now). Here is the question; With me taking my sweet ass time and apple care canceled my claim and order as well as does that mean that i can no longer get this fixed through them? Also, would me dropping the machine and them seeing the dent if i were to send it in blame it on the drop even though they have record of me contacting them about the issue months ago? Again, im not trying to pull one over on the fine folks at apple I just would like this issue fixed asap and i'm sick of editing every word with a 't' in it.... Takes me forever to write a post or email... How did i do it tfor so long some of you ar asking? when in the studio i use an external keyboard and an external monitor

I am in no way trying to take advantage of apple care and yes, i should have sent it in right when they sent me the box but i didn't and no matter how busy i was with work i should have sent it in but from the time i reported this problem i have dropped my machine and gotten the screen, which was the only thing broken fixed.

Do you think if i were to call them (i know the only way to find out is to call on my own just trying to get others opinions 1st) and explain my situation about dropping the powerbook but having this problem before the ill fated drop and hopefully they will have it on record of when i 1st reported it.

Okay, thats my story. Now, anyone have any sort experience in this department? Otherwise i buy the keyboard for around $100 and pay a tech to reinstall. Any and ALL help is greatly appreciated.

love,
problematicpanda.

p.s. this has been one terrible year for me and it just keeps getting better. I love the smell of sarcasm in the morning..,.
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2006, 11:32 AM

I think you should call and be very nice. Just explain that you were very busy and couldn't sent it in and that it is your fault you didn't call them to ask for an extension. If you have the mindset that they are doing you a favor I think you have a chance they will send you another box. Don't mention that you dropped it and had it fixed since that issue seems to be resolved. If they hear you dropped it they will likely stop listening.

just my .02
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2006, 11:40 AM

Agree with SSharon

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2006, 01:59 PM

Im going to call in about a half hour... it's like i'm pacing around here about to call in sick. thats how it feels for some reason. Ill let ya know what they say. Thanks for tthe help and words of encouragement you two. Let's hope they can make it happen.

p
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2006, 02:09 PM

I wish you luck with it. I tried to return a dead logic board iBook under Apple Care and the store refused because of a crack in the plastic by the keyboard...grumble...they finally relented because I had bought so much stuff there.

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2006, 02:22 PM

Yikes thats not good sign. If worse comes to worse i will shell out another $125 and get the replacement keyboard and get it installed. almost seems worth it because i wouldn't have to deal with the apple care scrutiny and i would get it back way faster. time, money.... i wish i had more of both.

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2006, 07:54 PM

Is that how the logic board went bad? the same way you got the crack in the plastic?

p

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2006, 08:08 PM

No, the logic board was not physically damaged by what ever made the crack. In fact, it was obvious that the crack wasn't big enough nor even close enough to have damaged the board. Apple is very testy about cracks in the plastic.

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2006, 12:44 AM

Well, I am so glad that you were able get a new logic board and that Apple did the right thing. I still havent' made the call, here are the reasons:

1) i am afraid of the ALMIGHTY "NO!". This is where my friends tell me to stop being such a wussasarus and make the call already.
2) taking the whole time is money equation; i think id rather pay $150 or so for a brand new keyboard installed than wait 2-3 weeks for Apple to maybe fix the keyboard....

I am going to call em in the morning. My check engine light just came on on a car i bought 'pre-owned' a month ago and now im freaking out about what this, or better said, how much will this cost me? BUMMERSVILLE! im like a black cloud right now so stay away!!!!

chipchen
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2006, 12:58 AM

just take it into an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider)... (not an APPLE STORE) They'll order your keyboard under warranty and swap it out when it gets there. They'll order the part (2-3 biz days max) and usually can install pretty quick.

Where in LA are you? I'll tell you where to go.

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2006, 01:07 AM

Chipchen,
I live in Silverlake. Mt. Washingtton area but do some work in Burbank. Would Melrose Mac be one of these AASP's?

Thanks so much for the suggestion, what would i tell them or how would i ask them to provide this service?

Are you here in L.A. as well?

Forum Links
Forum Rules