Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New iPod's to be delivered by Friday

New iPod's to be delivered by Friday
bfyost
Apr 30, 2003, 11:34 AM

Called the Apple Store This morning and the rep. told me she was "instructed to say" that if you ordered your new iPod by today 4/30/03, that they would "try" to have it in your hands on Friday 5/02/03. I saw on another thread (cant remember which one) some confusion on this matter. Wether it would ship on Friday or be delivered on Friday. Evidently its the latter. Just a little info for those who care.

jmelrose
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 01:17 PM

Apple's site has proudly stated on the homepage that ipods ordered by wednesday will arrive Friday afternoon. Sounds to me like they have a promise to live up to do deliver them by Friday. Not sure how it applies to 2-day vs ground transportation. I know I'll be pretty annoyed since I ordered it Monday just after the announcement, with the understanding that it would arrive within that time frame. I have a road trip which needs a soundtrack that weekend!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by jmelrose:
Apple's site has proudly stated on the homepage that ipods ordered by wednesday will arrive Friday afternoon. Sounds to me like they have a promise to live up to do deliver them by Friday. Not sure how it applies to 2-day vs ground transportation.,
i hear you on this. i paid the $8 for the 2 day shipping because i wanted it as soon as possible after shipping, not upto 5 days later. i think it would be a little unfair if anyone who orders an ipod, even with the free shipping, and apple gives them free 2 day so that they get it by friday. yeah it is only $8, but hey, that is 8 songs i could buy off iTunes Music Store

I know I'll be pretty annoyed since I ordered it Monday just after the announcement, with the understanding that it would arrive within that time frame. I have a road trip which needs a soundtrack that weekend!
i also ordered it monday and i actually spoke to an apple representative and he told me that i will get it by friday. check your orderstatus ( www.apple.com/orderstatus ) and see when the estimated delivery is. mine says on or before may 2nd, which is this friday.

my question is, when do they plan on shipping these? the apple guy said i will get an email as soon as it ships with a tracking number. it is 4:30 on wednesday and two day shipping, for it to arrive friday, should be leaving very very soon.

MadBrowser
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 04:35 PM

Doesn't OrderStatus just show you estimated 'Ship Time'?

Mine says 5/2/03 for estimated ship...

betaCat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2003, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by MadBrowser:
Doesn't OrderStatus just show you estimated 'Ship Time'?

Mine says 5/2/03 for estimated ship...
I just ordered mine this afternoon and it says 5/2/03 for estimated ship date....I think it's a little optimistic to think that they'll do same day shipping on Friday. Maybe if you paid the extra money for fast shipping......

Thorts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2003, 04:49 PM

I pre-ordered an iPod on Tuesday through a local reseller here in Seattle. They are due to arrive before 6 PM Friday. This store is extending their hours that evening, expecting a big crowd.

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2003, 06:49 PM

Phone ordered from Apple at 5pm the guy said order it today, and it will be there Friday afternoon. I just got my shipping/processed order confirmation. When I checked the order status it stated:

Est. Ship On or before 05/02/2003

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 07:23 PM

has anyone gotten a "your order has been shipped" email yet?

i find myself constantly checking apple/orderstatus and seeing if it has been shipped yet. at this rate it seems like apple is going to be overnighting them to everyone.

and yes, incase you did not notice, i am excited about getting my [first] iPod

MadBrowser
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 07:59 PM

I just got notification that my order is in the final stages, ready to be shipped... The email they send right before the shipping one...

I ordered last night from the ADC store.

MadBrowser
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 08:12 PM

Oh, also, I chose expedited shipping (2 days) and Apple shows it as "Priority Overnight" on the OrderStatus page, so it looks like they did a little upgrade.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by MadBrowser:
Oh, also, I chose expedited shipping (2 days) and Apple shows it as "Priority Overnight" on the OrderStatus page, so it looks like they did a little upgrade.
this is true, i got priority overnight too.
/me feels a bit better about his ipod not being shipped out by now.

bfyost  (op)
Apr 30, 2003, 09:53 PM

Well, just checked my order status again. My shipping was also upgraded to priority overnight from the 2 day that I had opted for. My status is still "open" though. Guess it will be going out Tomorrow.

turk.o
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 11:44 PM

i chose normal ground shipping on my 30gb that i ordered on monday. and today my shipping was upgraded by apple to priority overnight. still hasn't shipped though, I imagine it will go out on thursday. sorry for everyone who threw away $8, but, hooray for me!

since i live on the west coast most ground stuff from apple only takes two days anyway so, i guess i am just lucky all around.

turk.o

ps: my old 20 GB iPod is up on eBay, but it and bring me out of debt!

michaelb
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 06:57 AM

Won't start shipping until May 9 for international orders.

My Australian order said 7-10 days (from order placed Day 0, April 29 local time).

*Maybe* by a week on Friday then.

Hey Apple, how about parity shipping for the Coalition of the Willing?!

bfyost  (op)
May 1, 2003, 01:39 PM

Well, just my luck. My local Apple Reseller just called and said they just got 10 of each new iPod model. I said great, I'll be right over to pick one up. Just as soon as I call and cancel my Apple Store Online order. Then when I call them they say I can cancel my order because it has gone through processing and they already charged my card. I cant belive im saying this but Its pissin me off that Apple is delivering the iPod when it promised to. Im just gonna have to wait till tomorrow.

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by bfyost:
Well, just my luck. My local Apple Reseller just called and said they just got 10 of each new iPod model. I said great, I'll be right over to pick one up. Just as soon as I call and cancel my Apple Store Online order. Then when I call them they say I can cancel my order because it has gone through processing and they already charged my card. I cant belive im saying this but Its pissin me off that Apple is delivering the iPod when it promised to. Im just gonna have to wait till tomorrow.
There really is no pleasing some people

ryanbrown345
May 1, 2003, 02:54 PM

i hope they ship them today because I live in oregon and I doubt they will get here if they ship them on friday, by friday afternoon. I also payed the extra $8.00 to get it here on time. Then they update overnight for all of them 8 more songs I could have bought.Well if they are going to say by friday they should get it by friday, or they will have mad costumers! My item says it's still open so who knows.

jtbowden
Forum Regular
May 1, 2003, 04:54 PM

Guy on the phone told me if I ordered it Wed. I would be playing with it Friday. I got my name on the back, so it won't come til' next week, but that's what the Apple Rep said.

P.S. $8 bucks is a drop in the bucket considering no sales tax in Oregon. After my Ed discount, fast shipping and personalized inscription, mine came to $396 total. I love Oregon (and ed discounts). I saved 3 bucks from the original price and got more stuff.

MadBrowser
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2003, 07:21 PM

With my ADC discount (I have a couple saved up), I got the 15GB, an extra dock and two extra cables for $418. Not a bad deal.

robbien
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2003, 07:27 PM

My 30GB iPod shipped today. I have a FedEx tracking number. Does someone have to sign for a FedEx delivery? If so, is there a way around this. I won't be home during the day tommorow.

bemayo
Forum Regular
May 1, 2003, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by robbien:
My 30GB iPod shipped today. I have a FedEx tracking number. Does someone have to sign for a FedEx delivery? If so, is there a way around this. I won't be home during the day tommorow.
Is anybody else showing there's as shipped? I ordered on Monday, and mine still hasn't shown it shipped. (On Wednesday, a phone representative told me that I would receive it on Friday).
Bill Mayo
Picking Apples Since '87
IIgs | IIsi | Performa 630/6300 | G3/266 | G4/533x2 | G5/2Gx2 | MacBook 1.83

Waveman
May 1, 2003, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by bemayo:
Is anybody else showing there's as shipped? I ordered on Monday, and mine still hasn't shown it shipped. (On Wednesday, a phone representative told me that I would receive it on Friday).
No shipping indication here. Apple's really gonna have to scramble to deliver by Friday afternoon. Of course, they could still do Sat. delivery.

turk.o
Forum Regular
May 1, 2003, 08:44 PM

i ordered mine on monday (30gb) and noo shipment notice yet., as of thursday at 5:50pm PST.

t

jmelrose
Forum Regular
May 1, 2003, 09:01 PM

I just check the website. Mine shipped, Airborn Express. I HATE them, but here's another chance for them to not piss me off again. However, based on past experience, I'm not holding my breath. Yea, I'm bitter...

Anyway, the ipod shipped. Pity Apple put their faith in the lowest overnight delivery bidder.

Hope you all get similar news soon. Even if you didn't order an iPod!

(By the way, no cooler or easier way to keep track of those pesky deliveries like Watson... I think that "Packages" might be my most-used widget in that program!)

dmcnickle
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 09:09 PM

I got a tracking number.
I have never had any problems with Airborne get the delivery on time

coolmac
May 1, 2003, 09:25 PM

Just got back from dinner and checked Apple's site.
Mine also shipped via Airborne with a tracking #, from Elk Park CA.
It must have been shipped late in the day because there's no further info on Airborne's site.

And oh yes, Airborne does suck, I've had several experiences with them when items were not delivered on time.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2003, 09:29 PM

just got home from karting and checked my email, no email :'(
checked my orderstatus page and it has shipped. i thought we would get fedex but hey, i have ordered overnight priority with fedex and have gotten airborne and it was here the next day.

i have faith in them. i just hope someone is home to get my ipod

bfyost  (op)
May 1, 2003, 09:49 PM

well still no tracking number or shipment notification. I hope mine goes Airborne Express, they do better than fedex around here. Im rural so fedex's priority overnight is not delivered till 3 or 4 PM. Airborne is always here around 11AM like clockwork. guess Ill go check again, heres hoping.

bemayo
Forum Regular
May 1, 2003, 11:32 PM

Well, at 11:30 PM EST, mine has not been shipped. Since I ordered mine the first day, I have to wonder how many they actually shipped. Of course, it would just be my luck that people that ordered on Wednesday get their's. I am SO bummed...
Bill Mayo
Picking Apples Since '87

ryanbrown345
May 2, 2003, 12:08 AM

Mine has shipped so that is great! Let's hope it get's here in time!

PeterKG
Senior User
May 2, 2003, 12:37 AM

I bought mine from Best Buy today. Here is a link to the thread I started at Macworld forums with pictures.....

New iPod from Best Buy

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2003, 01:04 AM

I have a 30GB on order, supposedly shipping Monday.

My parents (in the US) ordered two 15GB's the day of the announcement (I placed the order, actually), and they received notice that they shipped by Airborne Overnight this evening. No movement yet, but it shows that they were picked up from *INGRAM MICRO this morning.

I think that FedEx frankly stinks. I have had about 10 deliveries from them over the last year, three past the deadline, two a day late, and two lost altogether (found two weeks later, not even an apology). I've had about 25 shipments from Airborne over the same time-frame, and not a single slip-up. Overnight arrives every day at 9:15AM like clockwork.

UPS is somewhere in the middle. Boxes are usually heavily damaged, but rarely late or lost.

bfyost  (op)
May 2, 2003, 05:51 AM

well, i finally got shipment notification in the middle of the night. The odd thing is that it shipped from Harrisburg PA and it went UPS Grround leaving PA at 3:55 this morning. I think there is a big Ingram Micro warehouse in Harrisburg so they must have just drop shipped it from them somehow. As long as UPS doesnt Flub it up somehow I will have it today though.

gostan
May 2, 2003, 06:25 AM

I am picking my 30gb up at CompUsa in Framingham tonight at 6 PM. It is in stock and sitting on a shelf with my name on it. I would not take a chance on fed ex or airborne via Apple as I will be out on business until late this afternoon and nobody around to accept delivery.

Moose
Senior User
May 2, 2003, 07:57 AM

Ordered Monday evening with 2-day shipping. Last night (Thursday), got an email at 7:14 PM which was an invoice for just my shipping charge. "Odd," I thought. At 10:59 PM, I got an email informing me that it had shipped.

FedEx Ground.

Waiting for their "sales support" to open (three minutes away now) to inquire.

Yay.

Edit: Just called. "Not sure why that would have happened, but if it doesn't arrive today, we can refund the shipping cost."

Retards.
( Last edited by Moose; May 2, 2003 at 08:05 AM. )

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2003, 08:16 AM

Got my tracking # last night at 2am, and it is going ground!! WTF. I called FEDEX and they say that it will not be here until Monday. Then I called Apple, and the sales guy says that it went Priority Overnight. Who should I believe?

bemayo
Forum Regular
May 2, 2003, 08:31 AM

Same here. I ordered mine on Monday and paid extra for 2 day shipping. Mine shipped last night, going "Fedex Ground". Even worse, it shows that it shipped from California, and I am on the east coast. I am not a happy camper...
Bill Mayo
Picking Apples Since '87

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 08:48 AM

on a positive note for apple, hey someone has to do it, they overnighted me mine. i just checked the tracking tracking page and it is in my area's airbone place. so it should arrive today.

i wonder why on earth some got send *ground*? that is so not right.

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2003, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by mbperk:
Got my tracking # last night at 2am, and it is going ground!! WTF. I called FEDEX and they say that it will not be here until Monday. Then I called Apple, and the sales guy says that it went Priority Overnight. Who should I believe?
Ok. Just got off the phone with Apple again. They made a mistake, and he was very nice, and very apologetic about the whole thing. He said he would knock off $40......J/K. I told him I would set up a return when I received it.

Looks like I will be traveling to Durham tomorrow to pick it up.

coolmac
May 2, 2003, 09:25 AM

I just called Airborne & was told it will be delivered by noon today.
I wish it would come soon cause I'm going to South Beach today & would love to take it with me!

betaCat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2003, 09:34 AM

a note to those expecting shipments of their ipods today...if you're not going be at home to sign for it, you might want to leave a short note with your signature on your door for the airborne delivery person so that they'll leave the package for you at your door or something.

i had an attempted delivery today very early in the a.m and i forgot all about it. (not the ipod, the note!)

bemayo
Forum Regular
May 2, 2003, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by mbperk:
Ok. Just got off the phone with Apple again. They made a mistake, and he was very nice, and very apologetic about the whole thing. He said he would knock off $40......J/K. I told him I would set up a return when I received it.

Looks like I will be traveling to Durham tomorrow to pick it up.
Did yours show that it was shipping from CA? If so, did they give you any indication when it would actually arrive? I'm in NC also, mine shows ground from CA, and I'm wondering when it will actually get here.
Bill Mayo
Picking Apples Since '87

bemayo
Forum Regular
May 2, 2003, 10:07 AM

Did yours show that it was shipping from CA? If so, did they give you any indication when it would actually arrive? I'm in NC also, mine shows ground from CA, and I'm wondering when it will actually get here.
Well, gee whiz, the FedEx tracking page has now been updated and showing that it is shipping from PA (left sort facility at 6:21 AM). No chance of getting delivered today (still shows ground), but maybe it will at least arrive early next week...
Bill Mayo
Picking Apples Since '87

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2003, 10:25 AM

Looks like I got the same info as you. Mine left PA this morning at 6:21am. It will be Monday. I am sure they will give a credit on the shipping since they goofed. Give them a call.

bfyost  (op)
May 2, 2003, 10:45 AM

Got Mine! I know the UPS Guy in my area and I met him at his first delivery to get it. I'm puttin songs on it as I type this. Man is it nice. Couple of things Ive noticed. It makes a funny beep when you plug it into the dock, The wired remote has a new two pin plug on it, it came with two little plastic plugs to put in the new bottom connector to prevent gunk from gettin in it. Its SO FRICKIN TINY! and the touch buttons are awesome.

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2003, 10:58 AM

The two iPods I mentioned earlier were shipped Airborne Next Afternoon, and are 'out for delivery' right now. Shipped from Ingram Micro in TN.

Mine still hasn't shipped, though...

bfyost  (op)
May 2, 2003, 11:23 AM

Some Unpacking and other pictures here if anyone cares to check em out. One more observation, It reboots amazingly fast compared to the older models.

http://homepage.mac.com/yost/PhotoAlbum15.html

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 11:27 AM

i just got home from college now, and it the tracking page says that it is out for delivery. hopefully i did not miss it. i will be calling the airborne people to make sure i did not miss it.

nice photos, and is that a platinum gbaSP?

bfyost  (op)
May 2, 2003, 11:35 AM

Yeah thats my gbaSP also, didnt realize it was over there. Sneaky little devil.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 12:17 PM

i just got mine. the airborne guy was pretty damn rude. he rang the doorbell and by the time i got there he was already in his truck. and he had left a $400 box outside my door. how did he know that someone was at home.

but anyway.

the packaging itself is worth it. it is, for lack of a better word, beautiful. i was speechless when i saw just how small the ipod is. the firewire is speedy too, almost finished copying over my 4.5gig now.

back to playing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules