Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Got my new 10 gig. :)

Got my new 10 gig. :)
derekn
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 04:46 PM

Just picked it up an hour or so ago. It's VERY nice, VERY VERY nice.

The new buttons are sensor type buttons now, like the non mechanical scroll wheel on the old 10 and 20 gig iPods. You just have to run your finger over them and they activate, truly all non-mechanical. It feels great, sounds great, I'm still going over everything naturally but so far I love it. My first iPod ever.

I have some pics up in the spymac gallery if anyone wants to take a look. Search for the keywords new iPod or my username dtnak22. Sorry for the flash on the first couple of pics, I was in a rush. LOL

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2003, 04:54 PM

How's did you get it so quick? I have a 30 GB coming friday (yeah!).

Tell us about the user experience. Is it easy to make playlists on the go? Are the cables/dock cumbersome? Are the buttons easy to trigger accidentally?

Thanks for the pics! Can't wait for mine!

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by derekn:
Just picked it up an hour or so ago. It's VERY nice, VERY VERY nice.

The new buttons are sensor type buttons now, like the non mechanical scroll wheel on the old 10 and 20 gig iPods. You just have to run your finger over them and they activate, truly all non-mechanical. It feels great, sounds great, I'm still going over everything naturally but so far I love it. My first iPod ever.

I have some pics up in the spymac gallery if anyone wants to take a look. Search for the keywords new iPod or my username dtnak22. Sorry for the flash on the first couple of pics, I was in a rush. LOL
Does the back still scratch like hell if you touch it?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 05:01 PM

i thought they were only coming out on friday?

take this in the nicest way... damn you i am *so* jealous right now. i am a 15gig ordered, according to apple, arriving on or before friday.

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2003, 05:04 PM

Fake!!!

Where did you buy it?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 05:04 PM

My only question: What software version is on it?

BTW, CONGRATS!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

derekn  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 05:12 PM

ccrider and mbperk, I got it from an independent reseller, all I'm saying. Better service.

Haven't had a chance to play with the on the go playlists yet, will later though.

Not sure on scratches, fingerprints are easy though. LOL

AssassyN, first thing I checked, it comes with 2.0 as per the iPod feedback page at Apple.com.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 05:19 PM

you *owe* everyone who is impatiently awaiting theirs a review sometime ok?

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 05:19 PM

Cool! Congrats on your purchase.... do write a small review would ya?
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

derekn  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 05:29 PM

mdc and andretan, I'll just for now it rocks and leave it at that. I'll post something resembling a review in a few hours. LOL

derekn  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 05:35 PM

BTW, one quick note for those concerned about the wired remote having a seperate plug and having to deal with a tangle of wires. I got the 10 gig so I don't have the wired remote, dock etc but in the illustrations they have a drawing of the cable. The connector is a bit wider and has a plug for the wired remote AND headphones, but only one cable that the headphones plug into. So there's not two cables or anything like that, smart move on Apples part since the outer ring was getting cracked on the old iPods when you plugged in regular headphones.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 05:45 PM

Ahh, 2.0. Someone needs to get to work fast cracking it so I can upload it onto my classic iPod!

Thanks for the reply man, and also, did you own a classic iPod, or is this your first? Which do you like better?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 05:50 PM

mdc and andretan, I'll just for now it rocks and leave it at that. I'll post something resembling a review in a few hours. LOL
Cheers!
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2003, 06:09 PM

Man, you could have made a KILLING on eBay if would have posted it up for sale this early...

P.S. Enjoy your new iPod, looks and sounds awesome!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Man, you could have made a KILLING on eBay if would have posted it up for sale this early...

P.S. Enjoy your new iPod, looks and sounds awesome!
LoL, no joke! I'd run back to that "Reseller" and pick up 5 more and list them on eBay ASAP w/ insane Buy It Now prices. You could EASILY pay off your iPod and have some leftover.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

derekn  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 07:48 PM

AssassyN, nope this is my frist ever iPod. Damn happy with it too. LOL

And no eBay selling damnit. LOL I've waited since Christmas to get one of these, I'm NOT giving it up. You can have my Mac AND my iPod when you pry my cold, dead fingers off them!

Now for the mini review....

First as you can tell by the pics, the packaging is VERY nicely done. More like a presentation than a purchase.

For the iPod itself, the only other MP3 player I've owned is the RioOne so I can't make any sound comparisons. Listening via headphones though, the iPod was indistuingishable from my G4. That was only with MP3s BTW, I'll rip a CD later in AAC and transfer that over and check the quality there.

The On the Go playlists are interesting. You hold down the selection button on an MP3, scroll back and choose a playlist and hold the button down again. You guys are gonna knock me over the head but I haven't actually tried it yet. I just recently did a system reinstall and trashed all my MP3s that I converted to AAC. I just recently moved all the MP3s back so I still need to redo my playlist in iTunes. I did a VERY minimal one to be sure the iPod worked okay.

The only bad part is the buttons, but it's not a huge bad or a real problem. They are touch sensitive like the 1st and 2nd gen iPods. You can literally swipe your finger over the edge of the button and that will activate it. So it's a good thing the hold button is on there. I've never really used the hold button before but this is one time when it is really handy.

Still need to do more with it but this is the initial impressions to this point. For those who want a GREAT audio player, get it! If anyone has any more questions, feel free to ask away.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 07:54 PM

The only bad part is the buttons, but it's not a huge bad or a real problem. They are touch sensitive like the 1st and 2nd gen iPods. You can literally swipe your finger over the edge of the button and that will activate it. So it's a good thing the hold button is on there. I've never really used the hold button before but this is one time when it is really handy.
Erm, correction: the 1st and 2nd gen iPods did not have touch sensitive buttons.

tr
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Ahh, 2.0. Someone needs to get to work fast cracking it so I can upload it onto my classic iPod!

Thanks for the reply man, and also, did you own a classic iPod, or is this your first? Which do you like better?
2.0 won't work on your old iPod

from this thread:

iPod software 2.0 and its features are only compatible with new iPods.

iPod software 1.3 allows existing iPod customers to play back AAC music purchased from the iTunes Music Store or ripped from a user's CD collection on their iPod.

Gayle
AppleCare Discussions

tr

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by tr:
2.0 won't work on your old iPod

from this thread:

tr
LoL, that's why I said "crack" the software. iBook's don't support screen spanning out of the box either, but you can bet your bottom dollar there are iBooks out there w/ a screen spanning hack. I want my iPod to use a 2.0 software hack.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

derekn  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by andretan:
Erm, correction: the 1st and 2nd gen iPods did not have touch sensitive buttons.

Ooops, I mean't to put "unlike" not like in there. LOL

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 08:46 PM

AssassyN, nope this is my frist ever iPod. Damn happy with it too. LOL

And no eBay selling damnit. LOL I've waited since Christmas to get one of these, I'm NOT giving it up. You can have my Mac AND my iPod when you pry my cold, dead fingers off them!

Now for the mini review....

First as you can tell by the pics, the packaging is VERY nicely done. More like a presentation than a purchase.

For the iPod itself, the only other MP3 player I've owned is the RioOne so I can't make any sound comparisons. Listening via headphones though, the iPod was indistuingishable from my G4. That was only with MP3s BTW, I'll rip a CD later in AAC and transfer that over and check the quality there.

The On the Go playlists are interesting. You hold down the selection button on an MP3, scroll back and choose a playlist and hold the button down again. You guys are gonna knock me over the head but I haven't actually tried it yet. I just recently did a system reinstall and trashed all my MP3s that I converted to AAC. I just recently moved all the MP3s back so I still need to redo my playlist in iTunes. I did a VERY minimal one to be sure the iPod worked okay.

Still need to do more with it but this is the initial impressions to this point. For those who want a GREAT audio player, get it! If anyone has any more questions, feel free to ask away.
Cool stuff.

Did your iPod come with a CD full of installations (maybe a 2.0 software restore program? ) If so, could you PLEASE PM or email ([email protected]) me!

Thanks.

ender2002
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 09:08 PM

Does it have the new games? GAMES!?

tr
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 11:44 PM

LoL, that's why I said "crack" the software. iBook's don't support screen spanning out of the box either, but you can bet your bottom dollar there are iBooks out there w/ a screen spanning hack. I want my iPod to use a 2.0 software hack.
OHHHH...didn't catch that! well, i'm sure it will be availabe sometime soon!

tr

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2003, 07:32 AM

Questions questions questions!!

does the backlight still switch on if you press and hold the menu button?

AJ

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2003, 08:01 AM

Ooops, I mean't to put "unlike" not like in there. LOL

Do take MORE pix dude!

derekn  (op)
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 12:16 PM

ender2002, yes. LOL I only played Parachute though, blast as many helicopters out of the sky as you can before they drop paratroopers. If they do, shoot them too.

AJ, yes. When you turn it off it fades out too, really cool effect especially with the red buttons now.

andretan, I'll be taking more pics today when MY 15 gig gets in. That 10 gig is my Dads. I was suffering from iPod insanity last night so if my 15 doesn't arrive today you can find me at the looney bin someplace. LOL

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2003, 12:36 PM

ender2002, yes. LOL I only played Parachute though, blast as many helicopters out of the sky as you can before they drop paratroopers. If they do, shoot them too.

AJ, yes. When you turn it off it fades out too, really cool effect especially with the red buttons now.

andretan, I'll be taking more pics today when MY 15 gig gets in. That 10 gig is my Dads. I was suffering from iPod insanity last night so if my 15 doesn't arrive today you can find me at the looney bin someplace. LOL
Cheers derek! Cannot wait for it to arrive - it should be fun! But over here in Europe, it will take at least another couple of weeks. Bah!

AJ

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2003, 01:28 PM

Awesome dude. You've got a pro-Apple family!

I'm jealous! LOL!

derekn  (op)
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by andretan:
Awesome dude. You've got a pro-Apple family!

I'm jealous! LOL!
Semi, first PC is already in the house, belongs to my sister. LOL My Dads been using Apples since the Lisa so it's been all Mac for a LONG time.

The iPods the first non computer gadget I've gotten from Apple though. All Macs before this and one monitor WAY back.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 1, 2003, 05:54 PM

Semi, first PC is already in the house, belongs to my sister. LOL My Dads been using Apples since the Lisa so it's been all Mac for a LONG time.

The iPods the first non computer gadget I've gotten from Apple though. All Macs before this and one monitor WAY back.
Did it come with a CD?

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2003, 05:58 PM

What is battery life like?

Busemann
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 06:04 PM

I tought the touch sensitive buttons would not be accidentaly pushed if you leave it in your pocket. Doesnt it only work when a finger presses it?

Also, is it fast navigating it? I heard the 20 gigger could be a bit slow when having thousands of songs in its list.

Anyways, im waiting for my 30 GB to arrive so it can replace my trusty original 5GB

aaanorton
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 06:59 PM

I got a question for ya derekn:
Can you plug the audio-out from the iPod dock into the audio-in on your computer and play music through attached speakers?
Thanks for any info and the preview.

derekn  (op)
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 08:44 PM

agasthya, yes. Haven't actually inserted it yet so I'm guessing that it has the restore, iTunes, Musicmatch software etc.

AJ, not sure exactly. It came with nearly a full charge. Went down a notch after a bit of use and has since been fully recharged. I'll let you know now that that has taken place.

Busemann, haven't tried it with anything but a finger, I'm guessing not though. I have a light that works along the same principle I think and anything but something "living" won't turn it on. One of my dogs tapped the light with his nose and it went on. I'll check that too.

Navigation is fast when scrolling through a lot of MP3s.

aaanorton, not sure on that yet. My 15 gig didn't end up coming in today (but my MDD Power supply and fan did come along with my Radeon 9000 LOL). I was thinking along those same lines though since I'm thinking of moving my entire music collection off my Mac and onto the iPod. I'm hoping it will and will report back as soon as I get the 15.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 1, 2003, 09:13 PM

agasthya, yes. Haven't actually inserted it yet so I'm guessing that it has the restore, iTunes, Musicmatch software etc.
If you get a chance, could you please check and see if the CD has a 2.0 software restore program? If it does, is there any chance I can get it from you and try to give it a go on my older iPod?

Thanks.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2003, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by agasthya:
If you get a chance, could you please check and see if the CD has a 2.0 software restore program? If it does, is there any chance I can get it from you and try to give it a go on my older iPod?

Thanks.
If Apple says it doesn't work on the old iPods you really think there is a loophole of launching the 2.0 software with the old iPods?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 1, 2003, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
If Apple says it doesn't work on the old iPods you really think there is a loophole of launching the 2.0 software with the old iPods?
Its worth a shot

derekn  (op)
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 11:38 PM

Okay there is a restore program on the disc but it's 33MB. I'd prefer not to pass that around if it's okay. LOL

BTW, one other thing in regards to the new cable. BE CAREFUL when disconnecting. LOL When you put the cable in, it locks into the iPod. There are two latches you need to hold down to disconnect the cable. So don't sit there and try to force it out. LOL Just push the latches on it and it'll exit peacefully.

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2003, 06:56 AM

Can you find out what filesystem your iPod is running?

There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer anywhere, and I guess some of us are wondering if it is FAT32 to maintain windows compatibility.

Plugging the iPod into teh computer and opening diskutil should tell you apologies if you already knew this )

AJ

BehindTheBar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2003, 07:54 AM

Has a nice Black Box like all of the Powerbooks now have. Very Pro looking.

So does 5/2 mean anything now?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 08:32 AM

Just tried updating my old iPod to 2.0 using the Windows updater. Its a no go. Apparently there are different hardware IDs or something and the updater checks to make sure you have a 3rd gen iPod.

Oh well.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by agasthya:
Just tried updating my old iPod to 2.0 using the Windows updater. Its a no go. Apparently there are different hardware IDs or something and the updater checks to make sure you have a 3rd gen iPod.

Oh well.
Crap! What kind of errors did you get? I'm presuming you did use a Windows machine, correct? And was your iPod already formatted as a Windows iPod?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

DannyVTim
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2003, 10:01 AM

Crap! What kind of errors did you get? I'm presuming you did use a Windows machine, correct? And was your iPod already formatted as a Windows iPod?
If they increased the memory to 64 mb then the iPod OS may not fit into the 32 Mb with room for songs also. If it does fit into that space, then a heck to the installer could get it to install.
Dan

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 10:03 AM

Yeah I used my roommates WinXP computer. My iPod is formatted in HFS+ but the updater didn't really care..didn't ask me to format.

Here is the log that the updater.exe produced:

(0x5D6C, 315014677) iPod Updater log
(0x5D6C, 315014677) Date: 05/02/03, Time: 00:40:56
(0x5D6C, 315014687) Updater Firmware: 2.0
(0x5D6C, 315014687) Updater build No: 2.0.80.0
(0x5D6C, 315015708) MainWindow::InitWithStaticLib
(0x5D6C, 315015708) iPodManagerNT::iPodEnumerate start
(0x5D6C, 315015748) iPodManager::iPodUpdateList: add ipod to the empty list, ipod: 0xcd65a0
(0x5D6C, 315015748) iPodManager::iPodUpdateList: set IPOD_NOTIFY_CONNECT, ipod: 0xcd65a0
(0x5D6C, 315015748) iPodManagerNT::ScanForDriveLetters: start
(0x5D6C, 315015748) iPodManagerNT::ScanForDriveLetters: checking drive: H:
(0x5D6C, 315015758) iPodManagerNT::ScanForDriveLetters: the drive is ipod
(0x5D6C, 315015758) iPodManagerNT::ScanForDriveLetters: searching for ipod in the list
(0x5D6C, 315015758) iPodManagerNT::ScanForDriveLetters: ipod found: 0xcd65a0
(0x5D6C, 315015758) iPodManagerNT::ScanForDriveLetters: assign letter H: to ipod: 0xcd65a0
(0x5D6C, 315015758) iPodManagerNT::ScanForDriveLetters: end
(0x5D6C, 315015758) iPodManagerNT::iPodEnumerate end
(0x5D6C, 315015758) iPodDeviceXP::MountDrive: start
(0x5D6C, 315015778) iPodDeviceXP::MountDrive already mounted
(0x5D6C, 315015788) iPodDeviceCommon::ReadiPodSerialNumber CreateFile failed
(0x5D6C, 315015808) vendor bytes:
(0x5D6C, 315015808) 01 4E 31 33 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 E9 6F 6E 20
(0x5D6C, 315015828) vendor bytes:
(0x5D6C, 315015828) 01 4E 31 33 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 E9 6F 6E 20
(0x5D6C, 315015828) CUpdaterDlg::CheckHWVersion: hw version: 0x0000
(0x5D6C, 315039733) iPodManager::~iPodManager: worker thread terminated

The guy that sent me the updater.exe was kind enough to upload the entire CD image to me in Nero format. As soon as my roommate wakes up I'll burn it on his PC and try the mac updater.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 10:38 AM

Very interesting.

I just got the CD burned and I'm messing around with it on my Mac. The "Firmware" file inside the iPod updater package for 2.0 is 3.9MB and the firmware file in the 1.3 updater is 4.6MB!

Maybe Apple has more things embedded into the iPod this time..

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 12:30 PM

Wow, this obviously clears up the question of "Will the new software fit on the old iPods?"

Any further luck/discoveries? Anyone you know can crack this to possibly install on the classic iPods?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

derekn  (op)
Senior User
May 2, 2003, 02:41 PM

Just got my 15 now. Same stuff as the 15 but now I get to play with the dock. It's weighted down so you can't really knock it over or anything. The only gripe is that the iPod is a bit "rocky" on there, not to the point that it falls off but it can kind of rock a tiny bit. It makes a cool little sound when you plug it into the dock.

Just transferred all my stuff over and it ran fine, a LOT faster than my old Rio One (USB). Transferring on that was a test of patience. LOL

m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2003, 03:27 PM

Is it possible that some of the stuff on the new ipod (games...etc) is harcoded into the ipod somewhere?

Although this doesn't seem like a good idea, because it really limits future upgradability..

M2

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by m2bored:
Is it possible that some of the stuff on the new ipod (games...etc) is harcoded into the ipod somewhere?

Although this doesn't seem like a good idea, because it really limits future upgradability..

M2
Nah, I'm willing to bed the games are all in the software...they wouldn't hardcode anything to the iPod when they get it to do anything they need it to by software updates. Making software for it would be easier for them anyways.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Forum Links
Forum Rules