Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > SideTrack 0.8 released

SideTrack 0.8 released
Basilisk
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2004, 12:16 AM

After a lot of work I'm pleased to announce the release of SideTrack 0.8.

* [FEATURE] SideTrack 0.8 is a major rewrite of all portions of SideTrack with a focus on driver robustness.
* [FEATURE] Corner taps. Each of the four corners of the pad can have a tap action assigned independent of the main trackpad tap. Corner taps can generate mouse button commands (mouse 1-6) or simulate keystrokes. Panther users, try setting the corners to mouse 3-5 and use it to control Expose!
* [FEATURE] Redesigned preference UI to more closely resemble the standard mouse/trackpad controls in the "Keyboard & Mouse" system preferences.
* [FEATURE] Driver uses trackpad speed settings instead of mouse speed. Allows the use of different accelerations for trackpad versus external mouse.
* [FEATURE] Option to invert direction of scroll regions.
* [FEATURE] Trackpad calibration can now be reset to the machine default.
* [FEATURE] Calibration now allows "under-calibration" for users with dead zones at the edge of the pad.
* [FEATURE] Base settings for scroll regions and corner tap regions are now automatically scaled to the current calibration.
* [FEATURE] Option to allow trackpad tap for left click prior to user login (tap at loginwindow).
* [FEATURE] Option to ignore trackpad main taps that occur within the scroll regions (excludes corner taps).
* [FEATURE] Adjustable acceleration, Apple trackpad, Apple mouse, and Redmond switcher acceleration.
* [FEATURE] Allow scroll area positioning at both edges (left and right, top and bottom).
* [FEATURE] Artwork and icon from Patrick Sullivan.
* [BUG] FileVault compatible. User preferences will load at login on FileVault enabled accounts.
* [BUG] Correct problems retrieving console username and preferences after sleep/wake.

Enjoy

Alex
( Last edited by tooki; Mar 21, 2004 at 05:34 PM. )

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2004, 12:42 AM

Keep up the great work, basilisk!

One feature that I have been thinking of, but have been too timid to ask for is the ability to set the button and pad tap behaviors on a per application basis (like USBOverdrive can for mice).

With the new addition of corner taps this would add even more versatility.

I could have a corner tap do one thing in Safari and something else in the Finder...

Anyway, thanks again for an already great app!

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2004, 12:49 AM

What a great update! SideTrack is one of my absolute favorite Mac apps of any kind! Definitely the most useful PowerBook enhancement.

I actually was thinking about the possibility of corner taps that could be assigned to other buttons or keystrokes but figured it would be too much to ask. Now my trackpad has just as many functions as my desktop mouse!

Mobile Mod
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2004, 12:59 AM

At the site all I see is 0.7.7... where is .8???

Justin
AlPB 15" Rev. C (1.5GHz) | 30GB 5G Apple iPod Video | SE S710a

Apple Certified Portable Technician, Apple Certified Desktop Technician, Apple Certified Help Desk Agent

wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2004, 01:05 AM

basilisk...you are amazing. and sidetrack is, as kp said, the best app for a powerbook. the scroll function works better on my pb now (don't even know if you updated that function). the corner functions are outstanding! great job!
15 inches of aluminum fury

Basilisk  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2004, 01:53 AM

Thanks for the kind words

Now for the questions...

One feature that I have been thinking of, but have been too timid to ask for is the ability to set the button and pad tap behaviors on a per application basis (like USBOverdrive can for mice).
This is already on the "maybe" list... The infrastructure for this is actually surprising complex, and I haven't worked out how to do it well. I'll probably take a wait and see approach, if enough users provide a compelling argument for it I'll start to think about it...

At the site all I see is 0.7.7... where is .8???
Its up there, I promise... Try refreshing your browser. Or just click the download link, the filename hasn't changed so it should get the new one anyway.

the scroll function works better on my pb now (don't even know if you updated that function)
Literally every line of code was rewritten and the internals are a whole lot more sane (I've learned a lot since 0.7) so yes, virtually everything should work better and more reliably.

Alex

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Mar 19, 2004, 04:22 AM

Thanks for the new version! It`s one of those apps I couldn`t do without. The corner taps are a great idea.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2004, 10:30 AM

Great app!

Keep up the good work

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

threestain
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 11:31 AM

Just another word of thanks - your app is great!

Bostic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2004, 10:04 PM

Awesome changes. Finally the same features as the synaptics drivers on Dell and IBM notebooks I use from time to time. If I had my Monster Manual 1 handy I'd type in the entry for Basilisk in gratitude.

KidKit
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2004, 12:27 AM

I know this is a repeat of the above, but GREAT JOB!
Kudos is due, wasn't going to hold that back since you deserve the accolades... 0.8's added functionality is just awesome.
Hee... Your new icon for sidetrack in the system prefs pane gave me an idea for a suggestion. Is it feasible to incorporate 'gestures' into sidetrack? for example, shaping an 'L' along the top left corner to the bottom right along the edge could maybe be used to hide an application? I hope I didn't just make a fool of myself suggesting some lame harebrained idea

tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2004, 01:12 AM

Thanks for the great App! Being a switcher, this is a great app!!

Just wondering, when the beta of this program is done, will this be a freeware app or something we will need to purchase?

Keep up the great work

Tomster
Senior User
Mar 20, 2004, 02:17 AM

Fantastic update. Thanks for a wonderful utility!
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

s0litude
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2004, 04:06 AM

Basilisk, YOU ARE THE MAN! THANKS!! Great update!
Hi!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2004, 05:49 AM

Awesome software! I really like the corner taps. Great idea.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Basilisk  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2004, 04:58 PM

Well thanks again for all the enthusiam folks

Is it feasible to incorporate 'gestures' into sidetrack? for example, shaping an 'L' along the top left corner to the bottom right along the edge could maybe be used to hide an application?
Gestures have been suggested before, but they are unlikely to appear. Becuase of the relatively low resolution of the pad its hard to discriminate gestures cleanly, and I don't want to create problems for users having to be very careful not to accidentally draw a gesture while just moving the pointer. Nothing would be worse than breaking the pad's most basic functionality like simple mouse movement.

Just wondering, when the beta of this program is done, will this be a freeware app or something we will need to purchase?
To be honest, I haven't decided on final licensing for SideTrack. For now I've just been focused on fixing bugs and improving the product. Once 1.0 is ready I'll make a license decision. SideTrack 1.0 will either be donationware or low-cost shareware.

Thanks for all the positive feedback,

Alex

sugarkane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2004, 10:29 AM

thanks this is a great app so is menu meters

i like things the way they is now, an overly bizy track pad would be a horror.....

thanks again, side track is so good it should come with PB's

sk

igorsway
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2004, 11:59 PM

Great application and a welcome update.

Thank you,

cazlar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2004, 01:29 AM

Great update basilisk! I especially love the corner taps, I set the top left and top right corners to previous tab and next tab (for safari) which helps speed up my browsing.

However, I have for the moment reverted to my old version (0.72 i think) as I was having some stability problems, with some hangs mainly when entering my password (leaving the screensaver or waking from sleep). I can't yet pin the blame on Sidetrack, but reverting does seem to have helped. (10.3.3, 12" PB)

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2004, 04:07 AM

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Great update. Good work.

I love the corner tap. I've set the following:
Upper Left - Cmd + [ for browsing back a page
Lower Left - switch between the recent 2 apps
Upper Right - Expose all windows
Lower Right - Expose Desktop
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2004, 07:35 PM

Great app. It's so second-nature to use it that I forget I have it installed most of the time...until I go to use someone else's PB and can't scroll with the trackpad.

MM
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

burdendds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2004, 12:09 AM

Suggestion:

I have a Sony notebook with a Synaptics pad that has a pretty cool option that I would like to see enabled on the mac if possible.

There is an option to have the top "scroll zone" used as "Forward" and "Back" in your web browser. It is a really cool feature that I use A LOT more that I ever thought I would. You just swipe your finger from right to left that the top of the pad and the previous page loads (and vice versa). No more moving the cursor up to the arrows to go back a page.

Anyway, just a suggestion. Keep up the great work!

naderby
Mar 24, 2004, 08:20 AM

Great software - Apple should be building this into OSX as standard.

Basilisk  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2004, 01:08 PM

However, I have for the moment reverted to my old version (0.72 i think) as I was having some stability problems, with some hangs mainly when entering my password (leaving the screensaver or waking from sleep). I can't yet pin the blame on Sidetrack, but reverting does seem to have helped.
Obviously if this turns out to be a 0.8 problem please let me know directly in email. Its the only way these things get fixed.

There is an option to have the top "scroll zone" used as "Forward" and "Back" in your web browser.
You can already do this using the corner taps. Try setting a pair of corners to Cmd-[ and Cmd-]. Instant forward/back buttons for most browsers (those key shortcuts are common to almost every Mac browser).

The "swipe" aspect of the Synaptics is unlikely to be implemented. While I admit there is a visceral appeal to the gesture its really a waste of space. Using corner taps you can keep the scroll zone and still have back/forward all on the same edge.

Thanks for all the postive feedback everyone

Alex

janmc
Mar 24, 2004, 01:09 PM

Excellent work - let me add my thanks to all the others Here's hoping Apple will buy the software from you for lots of money!

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 02:26 PM

Hey Basilisk.. I think you should approach Apple and attempt to license the ideas or the technology behind Sidetrack to them!!

DeRobeHer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2004, 02:48 PM

Fantastic program, I just installed it today. I was worried about the potential confusion for other users on my laptop, but was pleased to see that SideTrack doesn't do anything until you explicitly enable it. Thanks! I look forward to seeing this program evolve further, although I really can't see what's left for it to do!
--
Donald Roeber
Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

grayware
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2004, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by macintologist:
Hey Basilisk.. I think you should approach Apple and attempt to license the ideas or the technology behind Sidetrack to them!!
Ditto, it seems so obvious an app. What a phenomonal piece of work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules