Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Region Free Firmware Hack for SuperDrive UJ-816

Region Free Firmware Hack for SuperDrive UJ-816
phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2004, 09:43 PM

Anyone tried the the new firmware hack from http://superdrive.cynikal.net/ ?

How's the result?
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

igorsway
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2004, 09:34 AM

I downloaded the firmware but I don't have the guts to launch it. I want someone else to go first.

bamchum
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2004, 09:50 AM

Well, a guy here:

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=24508

reports success...

YMMV.

igorsway
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2004, 05:58 PM

^bump^

bamchum
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2004, 06:11 PM

Bump, what?

We're all waiting for you to report back how it worked...

igorsway
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2004, 09:49 PM

LOL,

I was hoping for a larger set of empirical data before I brave my own hardware.

At work, I can usually test firmware upgrades on other people's PCs -- but unfortunately, I've got the only 17" PB.

phantomo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2004, 10:26 PM

I am pretty sure it will let the SuperDrive read multi region DVDs but I am worried if the hack break something else i.e. iDVD burning capabilities or things alike.

Since I got AppleCare with 2.5 years to go, ability to reinstall the original firmware version (from the web site) is also important. Anyone tested the reverse operation also?

Thanks for everyone's input.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

igorsway
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2004, 10:26 AM

I just flashed the superdrive on my PB17 and I'm happy to say that it went very smoothly. I tested region 1 and 2 DVDs that were region-locked and now they work fine.

However, I did have to use the Region X utility to emulate the correct region on the drive. You can find this utility at http://superdrive.cynikal.net/files/RegionX_1.0.9.dmg

I have always found region-locked DVDs to be incredibily annoying and inconvenient - this is a great fix.

bamchum
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2004, 11:07 AM

Great! Very brave.

Now, anyone care to test the downgrade process? We need to know that we can get the old firmware back if need be...

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 11:51 AM

I flashed my Rev A 17's drive a few months ago and have no problems. Can I get DVD-RAM to work like a big floppy? Haven't tried.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by bamchum:
Great! Very brave.

Now, anyone care to test the downgrade process? We need to know that we can get the old firmware back if need be...
I want to run the firmware updater on my new 15" AlBook with a 2x Superdrive because I want DVD-RW playback. Toast 6 lists my drive as a "Matshita DVD-R UJ-816" but drutil info in Terminal.app lists it as being "-R, -RW".

I inserted a DVD-RW in the drive and my laptop failed to mount it, yet Toast saw the volume when I went to "Disc Info" and I was able to format it. After formatting it the volume still did not mount. Maybe I do have -RW compatability and maybe these Memorex discs are just crap, eh?
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

bamchum
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2004, 03:55 AM

Your drive should have DVD-RW capability already without the firmware "upgrade." If all you want is that, no need to apply the updater.

I've used Memorex DVD-RWs with no problems on my 15" Albook.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by bamchum:
Your drive should have DVD-RW capability already without the firmware "upgrade." If all you want is that, no need to apply the updater.

I've used Memorex DVD-RWs with no problems on my 15" Albook.
Interesting. I'm really curious why Toast was able to recognize the disc and the Finder would not mount it. Good to know about the firmware, though.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 22, 2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
I want to run the firmware updater on my new 15" AlBook with a 2x Superdrive because I want DVD-RW playback. Toast 6 lists my drive as a "Matshita DVD-R UJ-816" but drutil info in Terminal.app lists it as being "-R, -RW".

I inserted a DVD-RW in the drive and my laptop failed to mount it, yet Toast saw the volume when I went to "Disc Info" and I was able to format it. After formatting it the volume still did not mount. Maybe I do have -RW compatability and maybe these Memorex discs are just crap, eh?
My UJ-815 is very picky with -RW. Strangely enough, Pioneer DVD-RW didn't work, but the Sonys I tried worked fine. Cheap DVD-RW consistently doesn't work. I've never tried Memorex, but IMO Memorex is a 2nd tier brand for DVD recordable media (but much better than the noname stuff).

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
My UJ-815 is very picky with -RW. Strangely enough, Pioneer DVD-RW didn't work, but the Sonys I tried worked fine. Cheap DVD-RW consistently doesn't work. I've never tried Memorex, but IMO Memorex is a 2nd tier brand for DVD recordable media (but much better than the noname stuff).
Pioneer DVD-RW media? Never heard of it. Hmm. I'll check around, it does suck, however, that I found that my Sony DRU-510A (DVD+-RW) doesn't want to work in the external case that I made its home. Unfortunately it was a much nicer drive when it worked, and I burned a few backups on it.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2004, 04:09 PM

SuperDrive is all well and good, but does anyone know of a firmware patch for the Combo Drive in the new 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook? Does anyone even know its model number?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

bamchum
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2004, 01:56 PM

Is anyone else who tried this patch finding that their superdrive only burns CD-Rs at 8x?

My CD-Rs say they're burning at 16x but it takes 2 seconds for every second counted off by Toast. This is on 3 different brands of media: Maxell, TDK and Verbatim.

This happens with the XXJ3 firmware. It also happens when I downgrade to DXJ3, which is supposed to be the officially supported Apple firmware.

I don't think it was happening before.

Can those of you who have used the region-free firmware updater please check your drives and report back?

Thanks in advance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules