Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Possible G5 buyer - some questions

Possible G5 buyer - some questions
Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 6, 2004, 09:54 AM

Ok,
I'm toying with the idea of picking up a G5, no I don't need one but I sold my home and I wanted to treat my self with a new baby for my new house.

Here are my questions (so far).
I plan to purchase either at an apple store or compusa so the BTO options are out of the question and I'm looking at the 1.8 and the 2.0. I'm going to a brick and mortar so I can travel to New Hampshire and avoid the sales tax.

How does the nvidia compare to the ati card. I prefer the ati card but that's only in the stock 2.0 GHz?

bluetooth, is that available with the stock configuration?

How's the airport extreme range on this baby?

I've heard some people complain of the fan noise has this been resolved?

Does VPC work the g5 yet?

my uses are pretty light as compared with others, some development work, internet/email, office apps and I'm just now digging into photoshop. Plus the occasional iMovie/iDvd/iPhoto

The only upgrade I'm planning on is getting the memory up to 1gig.

Of course with the specials that apple is offering which is set yo expire on june 26th I'm wondering if an upgrade is in the works to be released on june 28th.

Mike

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 6, 2004, 10:02 AM

1) The 5200 sucks in comparison to the 9600 Pro. However, if you're not gaming it doesn't matter. The 9600 only comes stock on the dual 2.0.

2) Fan noise: Dunno.

3) Bluetooth is a BTO item only. I don't think you can add it in later, unless you get a USB dongle.

4) Airport range: Dunno, but why wouldn't you use Ethernet? Airport is also BTO, but you can add it in later AFAIK.

5) VPC 6 does not work on the G5. Look for VPC 7 in the summer.

6) For the stuff you're getting into a 1.8 dual would be fine and 1 GB is a good start. More memory is preferred however.

7) Personally I'd wait until the end of June, just to see if the new dual 2.5 and dual 2.25 show up. The memory deal will be over, but it's no big deal, since you can just get the memory from a 3rd party for cheap.

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2004, 10:08 AM

Want to play games? Spend the extra money on the video card. It's well worth the investment because you won't have to worry about the "optimum settings" to play your games.

You just play, and you play it well. When it comes to games, the biggest stopping block is the video card, second is the CPU. The video card you upgrade to would last you for years in the gaming world.

-Q-
May 6, 2004, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
Ok,
I'm toying with the idea of picking up a G5, no I don't need one but I sold my home and I wanted to treat my self with a new baby for my new house.
Here are my questions (so far).

How does the nvidia compare to the ati card. I prefer the ati card but that's only in the stock 2.0 GHz?
Yep, the ATI only comes with the 2.0. I can't speak to how the card performs, but I do believe the ATI does better in gaming. Otherwise, for the apps/uses you've listed, I think the Nvidia card will be fine.

bluetooth, is that available with the stock configuration?
Nope. That's a BTO option. You can buy a USB adaptor for cheap, or see if you can find an apple reseller who'll sell you the part. They're pretty easy to install.

How's the airport extreme range on this baby?
No idea as I use a wired connection. But it does require the use of an external antenna in order to receive an AP signal. That aluminum is a great signal blocker.

I've heard some people complain of the fan noise has this been resolved?
Never really had a problem with that myself. They'll kick up a bit when something processor intensive starts, but they've never been too noisy to be intolerable. I do store mine under my desk, so that may be why I don't notice it so much.

Does VPC work the g5 yet?
Nope. Supposedly this summer. Not sure if it will be released with Office at the end of this month or not.

my uses are pretty light as compared with others, some development work, internet/email, office apps and I'm just now digging into photoshop. Plus the occasional iMovie/iDvd/iPhoto.
Are you sure you need a G5? You may want to wait and get a G5 iMac when they're introduced and save yourself some serious cash. Or go with a G4 iMac if you need a computer now.

The only upgrade I'm planning on is getting the memory up to 1gig.
Good idea. OS X loves RAM. I put 1.5 GB in mine and things have been running great ever since.

Of course with the specials that apple is offering which is set yo expire on june 26th I'm wondering if an upgrade is in the works to be released on june 28th.
Quite possibly. My reseller friends are telling me that's what they're hearing. It'll all depend on how well IBM has overcome their production problems. Rumor has it, they have. If you can wait, you might want to see what the WWDC provdes.

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2004, 10:46 AM

I can only advise you on the video card, if you want to run openGL applications, Nvidia is way much better than the Atis. that also goes for openGL games.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2004, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by heresiarh:
I can only advise you on the video card, if you want to run openGL applications, Nvidia is way much better than the Atis. that also goes for openGL games.
Uh... no. Click here -->

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2004, 11:24 AM

You can't compare the 5200 to the 9600pro. 5200 is bottom of the line nvidia. go for 5900ultra, i dont know if they make it for the mac, but its a fantastic card, even the 5700ultra, but only for openGL games and applications.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
May 6, 2004, 11:49 AM

I thought ati was better, so everyone just confirmed that fact. I'm not an incredable game player but I do enjoy them now and then, so the 9600 is probably better suited and the 9800 would be overkill in price and capability for what I want to use it for.

I'm really surprised at the BT option, I would have thought that apple would have made that standard or at least an option that can be added in the store. At least there is alternatives available.

I was hoping the G5 compatible VPC was already out - bummer.

I'll see if I can hold off until June, I might be signing up for school then so I can then opt for the student discount. I live in Taxachusetts and I'll get nailed by the sales tax which will probably bring the price up to what I would pay if I bought the stock option in New Hampshire.

Originally posted by -Q-:
Are you sure you need a G5? You may want to wait and get a G5 iMac when they're introduced and save yourself some serious cash. Or go with a G4 iMac if you need a computer now.
Your right I don't need it, I thought it would be cool, I'm still not decided that I want to dump $3k+ into a computer when I have a perfectly acceptable PB. I realize things will be a lot more snappier on the G5, also that baby is awesome

As for the G5 iMac, who knows when that's going to be released next month, next fall, next year? The same can be said for the G5 PB, but that will probably a lot further off then the iMac G5. Anyways the iMac doesn't work for me since I already have a display that's larger then the imac's screen.

Mike

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2004, 12:07 PM

You can't compare the 5200 to the 9600pro. 5200 is bottom of the line nvidia. go for 5900ultra, i dont know if they make it for the mac, but its a fantastic card, even the 5700ultra, but only for openGL games and applications.
The 5900 Ultra doesn't exist for the Mac, but the Radeon 9800 Pro does.

In PC benchmarks, the speed of the two cards is very similar, with the 5900 Ultra maybe edging out the Radeon in few benches, but the Radeon 9800 Pro has reportedly better image quality and more well-designed driver software.

But like I said it's moot because that nVidia card doesn't exist on the Mac.

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2004, 12:28 PM

Well, I guess Nvidia is out of the question.

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2004, 02:07 AM

hey i've got a g5 -

the airport range is strong as long as you plug the little antenna to the back of the machine (comes with the computer)

the fan noise: depends on your environment. if you are in a well air conditioned room the machine is virtually silent (aside from the hardrive, which is amplified by the aluminum enclosure and the billion cheese grate holes. i have the single 1.8 and the 160 gb hd. you can install an airport card after you buy it, but not a bluetooth. if you still want bluetooth and the stock doesnt ahve it, you will either have to break the warranty and solder it on, or just buy a usb bluetooth adapter.

the complaints about fan noise, i believe, have been addressed in a software update dedicated to the reworking of how the fans are put to use. mine only turn on if i open up an application like photoshop in 85 degree weather with no a/c.

i personally love the nvidia card and have heard awful reviews on the 9600. its been giving lots of people trouble ever since they got it, and so has the 9800 (but much less) no complaints on the 5200. as for gaming, i dont know of any mac game that uses more than 64mb of VRAM so you're covered there. i have over 13gb of games and can play every single one of them with no problem.

im sure you will be happy with your g5 whenever you get it, remember the longer you hold out, they will keep releasing new ones, and you'll never get one. get one when you need it - you cant go wrong.
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 8, 2004, 02:20 AM

That is such a load of ****.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2004, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
That is such a load of ****.
Actually its true. NVidia seems to be doing much better with OpenGL (in benchmarks the 6800 spanks the X800 in OpenGL), but ATI is doing better with DirectX (in DirectX benchmarks the X800 beats the 6800). NVidia is also the only company to support pixel shaders 3.0.

If you meant the 5200 is better than the 9600... well... yes, that is such a load of ****.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Peabo
Senior User
May 8, 2004, 07:05 PM

I say if you want to get a G5, wait for the speedbumps coming up in about 6 weeks time!
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2004, 07:48 PM

Yea, wait for the upgrades.

Link
Professional Poster
May 8, 2004, 07:56 PM

There's a 95% chance of updates happening by the end of June.. and they'll definately be worth the wait.

BTW I think you can BTO systems and 'purchase' them at the apple store of your choice. Basically you pay for it online but pick it up at the store.. this might mean no sales tax
Aloha

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2004, 08:19 PM

I own a Dual 2.0 G5, and as for fan noise, I can honestly say that I never notice it, except ONCE in a great while for a couple seconds when something cpu intensive starts, other than that, no noise issues.

Also, I have the Radeon 9600 card, and I've been playing games with everything turned up to the max, and have had no problems at all.

If you're buying at a CompUSA in New Hampshire, go to the one in Nashua. The Apple guy there (Bob) is a pretty good guy, very knowledgable, and helpful too. I bought mine from the Apple Store, but he was (and is) very cool to talk to about anything. I work all over New England, and he's the best Apple rep in a compusa store I've seen yet.

Robe
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 08:02 AM

I just decided to get the Dual 2G - and I love it! I was comparing with the sisters 1.6 G5 and I have a graphics card question.

I can not tell what card I have. The 1.6 shows the 5200 FX (I think) and mine shows: ATI (0x 1002) or something like it. I know this is a paranoid, stupid question but did I get the right card? please help calm my paranoia!

Robe

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by Robe:
I just decided to get the Dual 2G - and I love it! I was comparing with the sisters 1.6 G5 and I have a graphics card question.

I can not tell what card I have. The 1.6 shows the 5200 FX (I think) and mine shows: ATI (0x 1002) or something like it. I know this is a paranoid, stupid question but did I get the right card? please help calm my paranoia!

Robe
Yes, you have the right card.
The dual 2.0's come with the ATI Radeon 9600.

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2004, 11:42 AM

You decided to get a great system. Enjoy!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
Ok,
I'm toying with the idea of picking up a G5, no I don't need one but I sold my home...
where will you live? The G5 box isnt that big...
we don't have time to stop for gas

kcourt
May 9, 2004, 06:39 PM

One more thing - I bought my last computer from MacConnection and they charge NO TAXES. Also, sometimes they have a no freight charge special on the web sso there is more savings. They are very knowlegable and I will probably get my new G5 again from them. I am also waiting for the nexr upgrades to come out.

Kathy

Robe
Forum Regular
May 10, 2004, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Yes, you have the right card.
The dual 2.0's come with the ATI Radeon 9600.
Cadaver - Thanks for the reply. It is just that the system profiler listed it in "cryptic" form and I was just making sure.

This is how it is listed - what not just say ATI Radeon 9600!?

ATY,RV350:

Type: display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-1
VRAM (Total): 64 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Thanks again,

Robe

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by kcourt:
One more thing - I bought my last computer from MacConnection and they charge NO TAXES.
I've purchased stuff from macconnection myself and they good. Since I'm pretty close to NH and I like that instant gratification thing I'll probably pop up there in the course of time. First I want to wait to see if any speed bumps appear on 06/28/04.

All things being equal, I really like the 2GHz, but it is a bit pricey so the 1.8 seems to hit the sweet spot, but if new machines appear then the 2.0 is will slide down in price.

Plus its easier if I do wait, no use in buying, unpacking playing with it, then repacking it up for my move, so it makes more sense to settle into my new home first.

Now I must learn patience

Mike

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by Robe:
Cadaver - Thanks for the reply. It is just that the system profiler listed it in "cryptic" form and I was just making sure.

This is how it is listed - what not just say ATI Radeon 9600!?

ATY,RV350:

Type: display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-1
VRAM (Total): 64 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Thanks again,

Robe
A little cryptic, yes. But Apple System Profiler is reading the data straight off the card. The RV350 GPU core is marketed as the Radeon 9600. R=Radeon, V=Value, 350=chip model number. The Radeon 9800's GPU is the R350.

ATI doesn't encode the marketing name of the graphic card in the firmware (neither does nvidia), so for the System Profiler to know the card is actually a Radeon 9600, it would have to be pre-programmed with all the various codes for all possible Mac video card combinations, then updated every time a new card is released that works on a Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules