Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Where are the new G5's?

Where are the new G5's?
booboo
Mac Elite
May 7, 2004, 07:42 AM

And when and what will they be?

My speculation is that they'll all use the same motherboard, but how about them all being dualies?

It's time for me to replace my G4/533 DP - I never want a single processor machine after this beauty, but I can only afford the entry model G5 . . . please make it the current middle machine . . . :-)

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 7, 2004, 07:48 AM

That's the 64 thousand dollar questions but as I'm sure you know apple they play close to their vest so who knows. Speculation is June 28th but really who knows. Others expected different dates for releases that they've been wrong.

I too would love to see a refresh since I'm toying with the idea of a G5. I have know idea of the type of speed bump that will be occuring either nobody knows at this stage - its all speculation

Mike

galarneau
Senior User
May 7, 2004, 08:04 AM

Ya, make the lowend G5 $1800 and dual processor, and I'll be selling the dual G4 800 that I bought and haven't even used yet :-)

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
May 7, 2004, 08:16 AM

At this juncture, even if the existing models stepped one rung up the ladder, it would be appreciated, especially if buyers knew that the latest revision power supply was used in all of them. I don't want any problems running pro-audio, and I'm not even going to risk a current model, in case it ends up being one without the latest revision psu. Of course, if I bought from a shop, I could be sure, but this usually carries a hefty premium even over the Apple Store (UK)

When I say one rung up the ladder, I mean

Low end (existing middle model) Dual 1.8
Mid-range (existing high-end) Dual 2.0
High end - Dual 2.2 - 2.4 GHz?

OzarkMtn
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2004, 08:40 AM

Put your fears to rest. My recently purchased Dual 2.0 is rock solid. It is unbelievably quite, no fan issues, no crashes/lockups, or black screen of death, etc. There are no noises, ticking, clicking coming from the PS.

I got tired of waiting and glad I went ahead & made my purchase. This thing is fast! I went from a QS DP800 and the performance is just fantastic.
Cheers,

Just say "NO" to PLASTIC SPEAKERS!!

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
May 7, 2004, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by OzarkMtn:
Put your fears to rest. My recently purchased Dual 2.0 is rock solid. It is unbelievably quite, no fan issues, no crashes/lockups, or black screen of death, etc. There are no noises, ticking, clicking coming from the PS.

I got tired of waiting and glad I went ahead & made my purchase. This thing is fast! I went from a QS DP800 and the performance is just fantastic.
Well there are issues - for pro-audio users - with all but the latest revision of the power supply.

Buying mail order, I know my luck, and don't want to risk it - especially as the revision is overdue . . .

teknik
Forum Regular
May 7, 2004, 03:20 PM

All I know is that the low-end model will definitely not be a dual processor model.

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
May 7, 2004, 03:35 PM

I am waiting for a new G5 also..

My wish is a low end single 2.0 GHz processor in the update. If I get tired of waiting I may save some money and get the G4 tower since i only use my pc for internet, email, chat, etc..

eddiecatflap
Baninated
May 7, 2004, 03:45 PM

..the dual 1.8 is SO sweet

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2004, 04:49 PM

There is a dual low-end, refurb 1.8s on the Apple Store for $1999. Or grab one of the deals on the single 1.8s still floating around at resellers.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
May 7, 2004, 05:49 PM

If Jobs plans to hold true on his "3.0 Ghz by the summer" promise then we better start seeing new G5's soon...
I know I'm holding off my purchase until rev. b

eddiecatflap
Baninated
May 7, 2004, 06:10 PM

..i think EVERYONE is

Peabo
Senior User
May 7, 2004, 07:08 PM

LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by teknik:
All I know is that the low-end model will definitely not be a dual processor model.
How do you 'know' that?

We've had 'dualies' across the range before . . . (briefly)
( Last edited by booboo; May 8, 2004 at 06:53 AM. )

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 07:29 PM

Mmmm Dualies

-Owl

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2004, 08:59 PM

I think they will all be duals in the future. The thing is that hardware upgraded much much sooner than software, so we can really not make full use of powerful systems until the software has been upgraded too.
( Last edited by heresiarh; May 10, 2004 at 04:11 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2004, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by z0ne81:
Keep listening to this
Oh man, Steve is going to be so incredibly fscked if he can't deliver on that promise. I can see the macnn forum server going down just because of all the rant posts on the day those 12 months are over and the 3GHz PowerMac isn't shipping yet...

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 07:46 AM

no kidding.

ryju
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 08:39 AM

I'm in no rush, but dual 3GHz G5's would be nice for boasting purposes.

djohnson
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 10:06 AM

I cant wait for the new releases, because that means I get my new G5

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 10:20 AM

If you guys do own a dual G5 2ghz, what purpose do you use it for?

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by heresiarh:
I thought of this too because I own a dual 1.8. I do web surfing, email, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, dvd ripping, basic webpages, etc. Nothing professional; however, it is nice that I have some headroom for the future and dual processors for X to roll around in.

For what I do, an iMac would've sufficed - and I'd be looking at a yummy 20" LCD right now instead of this 19" Viewsonic CRT.

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 12:11 PM

Yes iMac would have been more than enough for you.But whatever makes you happy.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2004, 12:29 PM

The only people who say that somebody bought more machine than they needed are people who are jealous that their machines aren't as powerful.

Buy what you want.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
The only people who say that somebody bought more machine than they needed are people who are jealous that their machines aren't as powerful.

Buy what you want.
Bingo.

Although I can use a dual G5 to run all my major graphic applications. Currenly I obtained an AMD build system from one of the members in this forum and had a dual opeteron built over the weekend for much cheaper price than the G5 dualies. But I hope one day I will be able to afford those wonderful G5 machines.
( Last edited by heresiarh; May 10, 2004 at 04:13 PM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2004, 02:46 PM

Buy what you want.
233MHz Beige G3 should be enough for everyone. (I hate you.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
May 11, 2004, 10:19 AM

I quit waiting for a G5 update and ordered my new 1.5GHz 17" pb..
-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

masugu
Senior User
May 11, 2004, 10:54 AM

I just bought a house...so no G5 for me for quite some time...

Hope the 1GHz TI PB lasts me a while.

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by heresiarh:
I guess many people don't exactly need the power of a Dual G5, though snappiness� is nice, but I do . . .

My friend upstairs just got his new G5/1.8DP and a Cinema display, and there is one thing conspicuously absent - noise. We couldn't even hear the machine, drowned out as it was by the Quicksilver on the other side of the room!

The G5 means the computer will finally deliver on its promise to be an entire studio - virtual instruments and effects processing, without practical constraint. Finally the hardware has caught up with the software's potential.

Can't wait.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
Oh man, Steve is going to be so incredibly fscked if he can't deliver on that promise. I can see the macnn forum server going down just because of all the rant posts on the day those 12 months are over and the 3GHz PowerMac isn't shipping yet...
I still figure they'll announce 3GHz PowerMacs (not duals, unless they're crazy) sometime this summer, but won't ship until 3-6 months later.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2004, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by itai195:
I still figure they'll announce 3GHz PowerMacs (not duals, unless they're crazy) sometime this summer, but won't ship until 3-6 months later.
3GHz will be dual unless it's not the top speed G5.

3 GHz will be the top speed; until recently they were still having problem getting 2.6GHz 970fx.

Announcing "this summer" would mean fulfilling the promise.

Shipping in fall/winter would not fulfill it. At least not in the eyes of most people. When he said "in 12 months we'll be at 3GHz" people took that as *the* announcement. People are waiting for the release, not another announcement.

If they don't start shipping by the 12 month deadline, a boat-load of finest manure will hit the fan. Here on macnn, on the web, in the PC world, in the media, and Steve will eat his words while he hits himself on the back head with a nice and solid 8 iron golf club.

OreoCookie
May 13, 2004, 08:58 AM

Maybe they'll just intro a 3 GHz G6 (PPC975 or whatever is supposed to come next).

We all don't know. What I am fairly sure about: Steve would have never made that promise without being reasonably sure that he can keep his promise. I'm rather interested in a mobile, so I want to go shopping for a PowerBook G5 not too long from now. But maybe I can't shell out the money right away and have to wait. But just right now, I'm already typing ahead of Safari and even with the RAM maxed out, multitasking really depends on what kind of what kind of apps I have. If I run Acquisition and Tomato in the background and listen to some songs with iTunes, my machine doesn't feel as fast anymore. What's even more annoying is that I'm excluded with my (G3 800) from many of the nice apps (or at least some of their features): no iDVD (a damn good app), FinalCut won't run decently without rendering, etc.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 13, 2004, 02:04 PM

3GHz will be dual unless it's not the top speed G5.

3 GHz will be the top speed; until recently they were still having problem getting 2.6GHz 970fx.

Announcing "this summer" would mean fulfilling the promise.

Shipping in fall/winter would not fulfill it. At least not in the eyes of most people. When he said "in 12 months we'll be at 3GHz" people took that as *the* announcement. People are waiting for the release, not another announcement.

If they don't start shipping by the 12 month deadline, a boat-load of finest manure will hit the fan. Here on macnn, on the web, in the PC world, in the media, and Steve will eat his words while he hits himself on the back head with a nice and solid 8 iron golf club.
He said 12 months at WWDC, but later revised it to "next summer" in Paris. So, he actually has until September 21.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2004, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
He said 12 months at WWDC, but later revised it to "next summer" in Paris. So, he actually has until September 21.
Right. Which is summer. Like we all agree on.

Summer is great.

Fall/winter is no go.

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 13, 2004, 09:07 PM

Right. Which is summer. Like we all agree on.

Summer is great.

Fall/winter is no go.
He can still announce in summer but not have them shipping until fall/winter. He did NOT say "we'll be shipping 3 GHz in 12 months" just, "we will have..." The 2 GHz machines took several months after the announcement to ship.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2004, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Person Man:
He can still announce in summer but not have them shipping until fall/winter.
Well of course he can. But he'll be hung by the next tree for doing so.

There is no need for another announcement. He already announced them last June. All people are waiting for is a release by 9-21.

He did NOT say "we'll be shipping 3 GHz in 12 months" just, "we will have..." The 2 GHz machines took several months after the announcement to ship.
Yeah, and that silliness caused lots of damage. But this whole argument is lawyer baloney anyhow. If somebody is bold enough to say "in 12 months we'll be at 3GHz" then he must deliver. Everything else is just vaporware. The public won't buy the bull.

Personally I don't care when they arrive because I want a G5 PowerBook and that's another story. All I'm saying is that he's dead meat if he doesn't release by 9-21 and ship more or less immediately.

You should have experienced what went on in here when they couldn't deliver the first G4's and back-scaled the whole line by 50MHz. And that's chicken sh!t compared to not delivering on the 3GHz promise.
( Last edited by Simon; May 14, 2004 at 11:43 AM. )

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 15, 2004, 01:45 PM

Yeah, and that silliness caused lots of damage. But this whole argument is lawyer baloney anyhow. If somebody is bold enough to say "in 12 months we'll be at 3GHz" then he must deliver. Everything else is just vaporware. The public won't buy the bull.
This is no different than what Apple has always done... Announce a new machine and say that the high end machine won't ship for two months later.

I don't think the backlash will be any worse. He never said they would have 3 GHz immediately available by summer. Just that they would be AT that point by then. And if he announces that they are "at" that point before 9/21, he will have fulfilled what he said. Not what people have *interpreted* (key word) his comments to mean.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 15, 2004, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by OzarkMtn:

Ditto. My Dual 2.0 is rock solid and I purchased mine in November of last year. No problems at all.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 15, 2004, 01:54 PM

Well of course he can. But he'll be hung by the next tree for doing so.

Personally I don't care when they arrive because I want a G5 PowerBook and that's another story. All I'm saying is that he's dead meat if he doesn't release by 9-21 and ship more or less immediately.

You should have experienced what went on in here when they couldn't deliver the first G4's and back-scaled the whole line by 50MHz. And that's chicken sh!t compared to not delivering on the 3GHz promise.
What is the public going to do? Nothing. Hardcore Mac users will all moan and groan and then whip out your credit cards once the machine is released and start dancing in the streets and forget what Steve Jobs said... until the next Macworld... where we will moan and groan again. This is an endless cycle.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 15, 2004, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by riotge@r:
What is the public going to do? Nothing. Hardcore Mac users will all moan and groan and then whip out your credit cards once the machine is released and start dancing in the streets and forget what Steve Jobs said... until the next Macworld... where we will moan and groan again. This is an endless cycle.
Agreed. This seems to be how it goes. Like you, I have the 2gig duallie with a 23" hdcd, and I'm waiting with baited breath for the 3gig duallie with the 30" vaporware display. If these fellas don't materialize by mid-summer, what am I gonna do? Kick sand, bitch and moan a bit, and keep waiting 'till Steve decides he wants 6 grand from me. Apple must be the only computer marque that has people line up wanting to spend the long dollar, and tells them, "sorry, we don't have enough production to take your thousands of dollars yet."

So as an aside, how many 2gig duallies with 23" hdcd's are gonna hit ebay after the new ones come out? Or am I the only one...
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 16, 2004, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Agreed. This seems to be how it goes. Like you, I have the 2gig duallie with a 23" hdcd, and I'm waiting with baited breath for the 3gig duallie with the 30" vaporware display. If these fellas don't materialize by mid-summer, what am I gonna do? Kick sand, bitch and moan a bit, and keep waiting 'till Steve decides he wants 6 grand from me. Apple must be the only computer marque that has people line up wanting to spend the long dollar, and tells them, "sorry, we don't have enough production to take your thousands of dollars yet."

So as an aside, how many 2gig duallies with 23" hdcd's are gonna hit ebay after the new ones come out? Or am I the only one...
Nope, I'm keeping my refurbished 2 GHz dual machine, with 17" VGA CRT monitor for a long while.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 16, 2004, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:

Perhaps I should start creating my auction template now.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

Link
Professional Poster
May 19, 2004, 10:05 PM

If these things come by the end of summer I might find myself getting a dual 3ghz as well
Aloha

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2004, 01:44 AM

I think since reports of 2.5GHz PPC 970's fabbed from IBM are circulating, that 2.5GHz is the top we can expect @ WWDC. Jobs promised 3GHz by "next summer"...but I don't see it. I am ready to upgrade my Quicksilver dual G4 and will jump on whatever tops the WWDC offering. Surely it will be sub-3GHz.

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

Link
Professional Poster
May 20, 2004, 02:01 AM

Nobody knows for sure, and um.. hey what happened to your table?
Aloha

jgcan
Forum Regular
May 20, 2004, 07:14 PM

To be announced at WWDC, delivery at Apple Expo (at the latest).

From the french and very reliable website: http://croquer.free.fr/

PPC 975, Power consumption at 3 GHz 65W � 3 GHz, 98 millions of transistors.
All models will have 4 HDD spaces and 2 SD spaces.
Sound: 24-bit 192Khz min. on high end models.
Apple will also offer an ATI graphic card PCI-express pro.Fire GL type.

Possible Configs (could change):

Mono PPC 975 � 2,2 GHz
AGP 8x
FSB 1,1 GHz
Superdrive

Dual PPC 975 � 2,6 GHz
PCI-Express 16x
FSB 1,3 GHz
Superdrive Extreme (double couche)

Dual PPC 975 � 3 GHz
PCI-Express 16x
FSB 1,5 GHz
Superdrive Extreme (double couche)

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2004, 07:21 PM

Hmmm, I'm not so sure... Let's see.

Originally posted by jgcan:
PPC 975, Power consumption at 3 GHz 65W � 3 GHz, 98 millions of transistors.
975? What's that? They just started shipping the 970fx in volume. Is this a re-branded fx or should they already have a new CPU?

All models will have 4 HDD spaces and 2 SD spaces.
So a case re-design less than a year after they did a completely novel case?

Sound: 24-bit 192Khz min. on high end models.
So they would have to make an extra version of the motherboard just to give the high-end machine that sound? Or is it on a PCI card?

Dual PPC 975 � 3 GHz
PCI-Express 16x
FSB 1,5 GHz
And what RAM will be on that 1.5GHz bus?

A machine like that would make people cry. But IMHO this is baloney. Too many ifs and buts. And what's this site's rep?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2004, 07:29 PM

Hmmm, I'm not so sure... Let's see.

975? What's that? They just started shipping the 970fx in volume. Is this a re-branded fx or should they already have a new CPU?

So a case re-design less than a year after they did a completely novel case?

So they would have to make an extra version of the motherboard just to give the high-end machine that sound? Or is it on a PCI card?

A machine like that would make people cry. But IMHO this is baloney. Too many ifs and buts. And what's this site's rep?
The 975 is under development, as is the 980.

A case re-design would not shock me at all. The lack of expandability is what has kept many people from seriously looking at the G5, including me. In fact, the lack of bays is the number 1 complaint I have hears about the G5s.

Whatever the fastest RAM available is. Apple certainly isn't using RAM that is as fast as the bus speed now.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2004, 07:38 PM

The 975 is under development, as is the 980.
The POWER5 and 6 as well. Nevertheless, that's far beyond Apple's ballpark presently.

A case re-design would not shock me at all. The lack of expandability is what has kept many people from seriously looking at the G5, including me. In fact, the lack of bays is the number 1 complaint I have hears about the G5s.
Of course we all want the re-design, but the real question is if it will happen after such a short time.

Whatever the fastest RAM available is. Apple certainly isn't using RAM that is as fast as the bus speed now.
Now: DDR 400 gives 800 and 2GHz x 0.5 gives 1000. 25% overshot. Close enough.
With this: 3GHz x 0.5 gives 1500. Overshot is almost 100% here. Welcome back the memory bottleneck.

jgcan
Forum Regular
May 20, 2004, 07:41 PM

DDR400

Forum Links
Forum Rules