Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Karachi mosque bomb kills 14

Karachi mosque bomb kills 14
moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
May 8, 2004, 03:00 PM

Hopefully Islamic extremists will apologize for the death and destruction they've caused, and investigative committees will be formed to assess which Mullah should lose his Minaret. Or maybe someone will try to blame the US or Israel for this, who knows?

On a serious note, this is just tragic... we see this kind of thing weekly in one part of the world or another. It's just sad.

from: http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/as...pakistan.bomb/

Karachi mosque bomb kills 14

Saturday, May 8, 2004 Posted: 0644 GMT (1444 HKT)

Police inspect the mosque after the bomb exploded during Friday prayers.

KARACHI, Pakistan -- At least 14 people have been killed and 200 injured by a suicide bomber at a Shiite mosque in the southern Pakistani city of Karachi, police said.

Hundreds rioted across the city after the bombing, throwing stones and torching buildings.

A suicide bomber dressed like a Shiite Muslim cleric is believed to have carried out the attack, a top investigator said Saturday.

The blast Friday was the latest in a series of sectarian and terrorist attacks in Karachi, Pakistan's largest city.

It provoked outrage at home and abroad, and calls for the government to do more to stop the recurrent violence.

Senior investigator Manzoor Mughal said police were trying to identify the maimed body of the bomber.

"The statements given to us by some injured worshippers and other evidence make us believe that a man, who was dressed like a Shiite cleric, was in fact the suicide bomber," Mughal said. He gave no other details.

No group claimed responsibility for the attack, which occurred during Friday prayers

President Pervez Musharraf condemned Friday's blast as a "heinous act of terrorism" and ordered police to trace the culprits, according to The Associated Press.

Police explosives expert Sadir Durrani said he had found no timing or radio devices at the scene, indicating it was possibly caused by a suicide bomber. But he said more investigation was needed.

Video showed the blood-spattered and shattered interior of the mosque with body parts littering the floor along with discarded worship caps and prayer rugs.

Men carried the wounded to ambulances, using the rugs as stretchers.

One of the men hurt in the blast described the devastation, which occurred shortly after 1 p.m. (0800 GMT), the hour of Friday prayers. "I was inside the mosque for Friday prayers when a bomb exploded with a huge bang," Kalb e-Abbas, 23, told AP.

"Something hit my arm, and I saw blood all over my body."

The mosque is housed in a religious school for students aged between 4 and 18. The school is run by the government and has separate mosques for Sunni and Shiite Muslim worshippers.

Witnesses told AP though that most of the victims were adults who were praying at the mosque.

There have been frequent terrorist attacks and sectarian violence in Karachi, Pakistan's largest city and its business hub. Police there have been on high alert since April when they raided a building and found weapons and explosives.

About 80 percent of Pakistan's 150 million people are Sunni, and the rest Shiite. They live mainly in peace, but radical groups on both sides frequently carry out deadly attacks.

'Anti-state elements to blame'

Two injured people are carried to hospital after the blast.

Aftab Sheikh, a senior politician responsible for law and order in Sindh province, where Karachi is located, blamed anti-state elements for the blast, but he would not elaborate.

Sheikh said "today's bomb attack was carried out by those people who were behind other terrorist attacks in Karachi."

"I condemn this attack, it was a barbaric act," he said.

Further north on Friday, in the Pakistani city of Quetta, a small bomb also exploded opposite a hotel due to host an investment conference, police said. Three people were wounded.

The chief minister of Baluchistan province Jam Mir Mohammad Yusuf said the blast was an attempt to sabotage the meeting.

The Serena Hotel, where Prime Minister Zafarullah Khan Jamali had been expected on Saturday to chair the conference, was not damaged.

CNN Producer Syed Mohsin Naqvi contributed to this report
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
May 9, 2004, 05:16 AM

see? No one cares....
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

christ
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 05:54 AM

Originally posted by moki:
Hopefully Islamic extremists will apologize for the death and destruction they've caused, and investigative committees will be formed to assess which Mullah should lose his Minaret. Or maybe someone will try to blame the US or Israel for this, who knows?
If I understood the report that you posted, no-one knows who did this yet. (Except you, of course, who is demanding an apology from 'Islamic extremists'.)

If it were 'Islamic extremists', then why would they apologise for something that the perpetrator apparently intended to do?

"[investigators] believe that a man, who was dressed like a Shiite cleric, was in fact the suicide bomber" from this you surmise that the man was an Islamic extremist? Because any other agitator would never dress as a cleric to gain entry to a mosque of course - that would be dishonest.

You may, of course, be right, but you have shown a truly staggering disregard for due process.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

eklipse
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 05:56 AM

What's to say?

'it was a barbaric act'

The article doesn't say much about who the barbarian was or why he blew himself up - only that 'anti-state elements were to blame'. It would therefore appear that the Pakistani government have pissed some guys off - maybe they should look into who they have been pissing off?

Everyone agreeing that the bombing was a horrendous act, then all joining hands and singing, isn't going to make the problem go away.

PacHead
Baninated
May 9, 2004, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by christ:
If I understood the report that you posted, no-one knows who did this yet. (Except you, of course, who is demanding an apology from 'Islamic extremists'.)
Oh, please.

The probability of this being an islamic extremist is probably somewhere around 99.9%

When was the last time anybody ever heard of a suicide bomber who wasnt ?

PacHead
Baninated
May 9, 2004, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by eklipse:

The article doesn't say much about who the barbarian was or why he blew himself up - only that 'anti-state elements were to blame'. It would therefore appear that the Pakistani government have pissed some guys off - maybe they should look into who they have been pissing off?

It sounds like you are an apologist for these guys. Maybe Pakistan should look into who they pissed off ?

What makes you think they pissed off anybody to begin with ? Islamic Terrorists kill because they are wackjobs. You dont need to piss them off inorder for them to go on their bloody rampages. They obviously enjoy killing innocents, for no reason whatsoever.

PacHead
Baninated
May 9, 2004, 06:30 AM

Also, it is quite interesting and ironic that this thread hardly gets any replies.

Had the title been "USA humiliates an Iraqi, causing him to get a stomach ache", then it would be 3 pages long by now.

my 2 cents

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2004, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by PacHead:
Also, it is quite interesting and ironic that this thread hardly gets any replies.

Had the title been "USA humiliates an Iraqi, causing him to get a stomach ache", then it would be 3 pages long by now.

my 2 cents
Not really. 80% of the members of this forum are USAsians. If 80% of this forum members were Pakistanis we'd be on page 12 now of this thread.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

christ
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 03:54 PM

Oh, please

The probability of this being an islamic extremist is probably somewhere around 99.9%

When was the last time anybody ever heard of a suicide bomber who wasnt ?
I take it that this is another vote for racial profiling, and against due process.

Noted.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

PacHead
Baninated
May 9, 2004, 04:10 PM

I take it that this is another vote for racial profiling, and against due process.

Noted.
That is the most ridiculous thing I have read. Racial profiling ? Who gives a crap what race they are ? Islamic terrorists can be of any race. Black, Brown, White, Yellow, Purple, Green etc.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 04:17 PM

It would therefore appear that the Pakistani government have pissed some guys off - maybe they should look into who they have been pissing off?

So basically all any mass-murdering scumbag of any stripe has to do according to this 'logic' is blow up a church full of people, then float some bullcrap about being pissed at the government, then it's on the government to �look into� why they pissed the nuts off?

This is exactly the reason I compare this 'logic' to the Klan. Imagine the stupidity of reacting to 1950's church-bombings by the Klan with this same silly argument. It's nearly an identical profile: Hey, those KKK guys don't much like the government or the 'zionist conspiracy' that controls it, so they blew up a church and killed a bunch of people that have nothing to do with either. Conclusion: the government should stop pissing the Klan off.

THAT's exactly how stupid it sounds to suggest in this case that the government is at fault for pissing some radical scumbags off.

Nicko
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by moki:

On a serious note, this is just tragic... we see this kind of thing weekly in one part of the world or another. It's just sad.

from: http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/as...pakistan.bomb/

Once again moki is talking out of his ass.

No body cares? do you care?
I lived in Karachi for a year (pre 911), they have a bombing or a shooting, or someone throws a grenade in a market ect... every week. Karachi is a sprawling city of almost 20million. There are many religious and tribal factions and some of them don't exactly get along.

Again,

christ
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 07:48 AM

That is the most ridiculous thing I have read. Racial profiling ? Who gives a crap what race they are ? Islamic terrorists can be of any race. Black, Brown, White, Yellow, Purple, Green etc.
You see 'suicide bomber', you think 'Islamist extremist'.

This is exactly the same thinking as:

You see 'black guy', you think 'mugger', or

You see 'arabic air traveller', you think 'hijacker'

Hence, I assume that with your 'suicide bomber'= 'Islamist extremist' equation, then you must be in favour of racial profiling. If racial profiling is ridiculous (which sentiment I happen to agree with), then so is your assertion that all suicide bombers must be Islamist extremists.

Which way do you want it?
Chris. T.

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 10:28 AM

Mostly all violence in Karachi is due to secratarian violence geared towards creating an imbalance in power. All terror attacks in Pakistan have never been linked to US or Israel. Karachi sits in the province of Sindh and the city has been infected by violence performed by different parties trying to gain power.

benb
May 10, 2004, 10:49 AM

Show me that more than 5% of suicide bombings are carried out by people that don't ascribe to Islam and I'll repent of my ways.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2004, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by benb:
Show me that more than 5% of suicide bombings are carried out by people that don't ascribe to Islam and I'll repent of my ways.
ditto.

I'd bet it's close to a 99.99% chance that a 'suicide' bomber was a follower of Islam.

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 12:34 PM

It is true suicide bombers are mostly followers of Islam but notice in what regions of the world you see suicide bombings? Palestine, Eastern Europe, you see them in regions where they are fighting for their freedom. If a palestinian throws a rock on an Israeli, Israeli's retaliate with a tank shell. Those regions are in such poverty that they are offered a decent amount of money to perform these acts so in turn their families might be able to see a better future.

benb
May 10, 2004, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by heresiarh:
If a palestinian throws a rock on an Israeli, Israeli's retaliate with a tank shell. Those regions are in such poverty that they are offered a decent amount of money to perform these acts so in turn their families might be able to see a better future.
So that's why they target Pizza Parlors and busses. The Israeli's are hiding tanks in them!

Here I was thinking it was to blow up Jews. Silly me.

BigMeatyChunks
May 10, 2004, 12:45 PM

This is exactly the same thinking as:

You see 'black guy', you think 'mugger', or

You see 'arabic air traveller', you think 'hijacker'

Hence, I assume that with your 'suicide bomber'= 'Islamist extremist' equation, then you must be in favour of racial profiling. If racial profiling is ridiculous (which sentiment I happen to agree with), then so is your assertion that all suicide bombers must be Islamist extremists.

Which way do you want it?
Get, perhaps it was some Irishman in Pakistan pissed off that the head on his Guiness wasn't thick enough? Who else in a Muslim country would be the most likely suspect to do something like this?

That's not racial profiling, that's basic detective work.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 12:48 PM

According to Aljazeera

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but it bore the hallmarks of a sectarian attack carried out by a small group of Sunni extremists.
Gee, shame on them for casting suspicion on Sunni extremists. There they go again 'racial profiling.' Personally I�m betting that it was more of those Swedish tourist suicide bombers. No one noticed the blonde lady wading into the crowd with her nail clippers. That's the thing about those pesky Swedish tourist suicide bombers- you just never know when one is going to set themselves off.

Pakistan has suffered decades of violence between the minority Shia and small groups in the Sunni majority.

In March, 44 people were killed and 150 wounded in an attack on a Shia religious procession in the southwestern city of Quetta that was blamed on Sunni extremists.

Pakistan�s Shia, who account for about 15% of the population, largely live at peace with Sunnis. Most of the violence is perpetrated by extremist groups from both sides.

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 12:57 PM

So that's why they target Pizza Parlors and busses. The Israeli's are hiding tanks in them!

Here I was thinking it was to blow up Jews. Silly me.

Palestinians do blow up pizza parlors, clubs and what not. The Israeli army has destroyed thousands of homes, killed many innocent women and children. So if Palestinians retaliate, don't be surprised. Keep in mind, who conveniently took over land in 1949 from people who were living there for almost 2000years. The funny part, Palestine was negotiated over a bomb that was designed by an Jewish chemical engineer during world war war I. The british conveniently negotiated palestine for that bomb technology, i believe in 1917, it was called the Balfour Declaration. Did anyone ask the Palestinians what they thought of the resolution???

On a side note, I feel people can live in harmony, but there are always these hidden elements that effect the balance of power.

benb
May 10, 2004, 01:53 PM

Keep in mind, who conveniently took over land. . .from people who were living there for almost 2000years.
Those pesky Romans in 70!

Get over it, this is the history of the world. You make it sound like its the greatest injustice ever done. It has happened everywhere. Nations (if you can even call the Palestinians that) rise and fall.

And somehow all of this justifies walking onto a bus and blowing yourself up. Yeah, ok.

How would you feel if some Native Americans blew up buses in Chicago? Because, I mean, they were here first. So its ok. They are fighting for freedom. So targeting normal people is good. We should probably encourage it too.
( Last edited by benb; May 10, 2004 at 01:59 PM. )

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 02:15 PM

Those pesky Romans in 70!

Get over it, this is the history of the world. You make it sound like its the greatest injustice ever done. It has happened everywhere. Nations (if you can even call the Palestinians that) rise and fall.

And somehow all of this justifies walking onto a bus and blowing yourself up. Yeah, ok.

How would you feel if some Native Americans blew up buses in Chicago? Because, I mean, they were here first. So its ok. They are fighting for freedom. So targeting normal people is good. We should probably encourage it too.
You totally missed my point. Israelis target normal people and Palestinians retaliate. They are both at fault, so don't judge just one party. More innocent Palestinians have been killed.

BigMeatyChunks
May 10, 2004, 02:19 PM

You totally missed my point. Israelis target normal people and Palestinians retaliate. They are both at fault, so don't judge just one party. More innocent Palestinians have been killed.
Probably (1) because they harbor terrorists or (2) the terrorists take refuge amongst civilians.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 02:21 PM

You totally missed my point. Israelis target normal people and Palestinians retaliate. They are both at faulth, so don't judge just one party. More innocent Palestinians have been killed.
That's your perspective, which carries with it the assumption that Israel is responsible for the cycle of violence. It's a chicken and egg issue really -- one can also view it from the perspective that the IDF is fighting a war against terrorists (not innocents) who intend to harm Israeli citizens, thus placing the blame squarely on the shoulders of Palestinian terrorists. Unfortunately, we're not going to make any progress toward peace until we move beyond the blame game.

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
That's your perspective, which carries with it the assumption that Israel is responsible for the cycle of violence. It's a chicken and egg issue really -- one can also view it from the perspective that the IDF is fighting a war against terrorists (not innocents) who intend to harm Israeli citizens, thus placing the blame squarely on the shoulders of Palestinian terrorists. Unfortunately, we're not going to make any progress toward peace until we move beyond the blame game.
You do bring up a good point about the blame game but what can Palestinians do against the war machine of Israel? Nevertheless, the point remains that this entire situation in the mid-east will not be solved anytime soon. Palestinians are determined to fight for their land and they will do so till whenever possible.

I personally hope both nations look for a better future and I hope this new plan proposed by Sharon works out for the best. But then again, I have my doubts.

christ
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by BigMeatyChunks:
That's not racial profiling, that's basic detective work.
Yup - Dirty Harry style. Stuff justice, I'm gonna kill me a bad guy - I'm 'probably' right.

(And even if I'm wrong, who cares about another dead Muslim anyway - its just one less potential terrorist).

As noted before, I don't like your style. (But you probably think that due process is only for wusses anyway, so I can imagine you not being too keen on my style either - never mind - I'm sure that you don't need my approval, and I sure as hell don't want yours).
Chris. T.

Forum Links
Forum Rules