Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Fotos Faked...

Fotos Faked... (Page 2)
badidea
Professional Poster
May 8, 2004, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Some people will believe anything as long as it fits their narrow view of things.
That's how it all started!
( Last edited by badidea; May 8, 2004 at 12:44 PM. )

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by ebuddy:
I think all events like these need perspective.

As far as I know (without jumping to conclusions or reaching for conspiracy) Just as there are those evil enough to commit what I believe are acts caught in reality on photograph, there are those within the same organization that will blow the whistle and effect change. Justice will eventually be served within (while very flawed) the most fair, complex, advanced, and successful system in the World. IMHO. This is the difference. Our differences. Most importantly; our ability to represent, discuss, and vote in accordance with those differences. Our ability to differ without fear of death. We have been placed on a pedestal. A pedestal created not by us here, but those abroad. We put into practice a sweet simplicity we call freedom based on an ingrained desire to eventually endow all with equal pursuit of happiness.

The International Community was opposed to our actions in Iraq in the early 90's, then critiqued our having pulled out "pre-maturely". Those that hate us will simply continue to hate us or hate us more. There is nothing we can do to change those fringes. We are making difficult choices. Agree or disagree, we are indeed making difficult choices. Ladies and Gentlemen, the World as we know it, is no longer and it wasn't 9/11.

9/11 unfortunately, will always eventually occur and will occur again. Our reactions were supported by the masses because of emotion and no administration would've acted better or worse or even differently. I think to be clear, our actions in Iraq are not to be confused with retaliation of any sort for the terrorist attacks on 9/11. 9/11 became an opportunity for the US to position itself strategically on the Globe. Not planned mind you. Let's face it folks, at some point whether you like it or not there will be a developing ideal as we move toward a socially globalized earth. What do you want the predominant ideal to look like? I don't really want to know. Just know that eventually, some ideal will dominate. We cannot grow or spread if there is a nurtured and educated hatred for our kind in certain regions and under certain administrations. Iraq is right smack-dab in the middle of where we need to win hearts and minds. Not oil people. The long-term political implications behind planting an "American-friendly" government in Iraq are far more valuable than oil. Inaction did nothing. We have many broken agreements and resolutions to prove that. At some point, because of our human limitations, we will eventually come to a head. America does not teach hate formally. It is not sanctioned and funded by the government. The education we receive here embraces cultural diversity. It's required to by law and even the schools use "magnet" programs and require alternate and augmented bus routes to encourage school attendance outside the child's "comfort" zone. We are the most blessed country in the world. We are the most charitible country in the World. I believe in the ideals of democracy, including capitalism, and rugged individualism. I "buy-in" on the ideal that I will get out of this country exactly what I put in. Which do you believe is the more successful system or ideal in the world, because again; it will come down to two at some point.

I don't like to hear comments on; "well, Iraqis have been committing atrocities for centuries, where's the outrage?" Well, first of all it seems to me that most of Saddam's regime understands our rage. So does OBL btw. The crimes we committed in the prisons there were disgusting, dispicable, below us, and not indicative of our collective ideal here. I think most people understand that. For those that don't, watch these perps get their just deserts. Learn.
Excellent post! I don't agree that America is the most blessed country on earth (I think Australia is the most blessed country on earth), but let's not split hairs.
weird wabbit

thesearcher
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2004, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
The photos HAVE to be fake. It is totally uncharacteristic for the US to do anything like that, it could never happen.
Canadian soldiers wouldn't do that either, eh.

angaq0k
Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by thesearcher:
Canadian soldiers wouldn't do that either, eh.
Actually some did, and they were tried for that.
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
The crap part is... some of the photos out there are real.

Most people want to believe that the US is evil.
Lol..... so the fact that the U.S. bombs any nation it wants and invades any country it wants has absolutely nothing to do with it ? We/They needed photos of priosner torture to convnce em eh ? ...lol

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 08:23 AM

Conclusion:

Pictures of American soldiers torturing Iraqi prisoners are real!

Rumsfield admits it, the Pentagon admits it, and even the lady in the photo admitted to it.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

voyageur
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 08:27 AM

Not sure what to think about this editorial illustration from the Frankfurter Allgemein, but I don't think Apple will like it:

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2004, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Some people will believe anything as long as it fits their narrow view of things.
Look in the mirror and say it.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by voyageur:
Not sure what to think about this editorial illustration from the Frankfurter Allgemein, but I don't think Apple will like it:
Haha... Get your iPod mini. Sorry, but that's awful.

Krusty
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 08:41 AM

NOW RUNS ON AFGHANIS AND IRAQIS !!

BTW, Happy Mother's Day Voyageur

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 08:51 AM

That was awesome! A good feeling.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 08:53 AM

Wow, something like this sends ripples all the way up to the president. Very bad news for Pres. Bush.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...d=544&ncid=716

voyageur
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by Krusty:
BTW, Happy Mother's Day Voyageur
Thanks Krusty, you're a sweetheart!

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 12:35 PM

Ouch! Steve will be pissed, I'm sure.
weird wabbit

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
That was awesome! A good feeling.
I hate to say this, and videos like that will be used as examples of bloodthirstiness by the Arab media, but that is war, and generally what happens in war. People get shot, and shooting at the wounded is part and parcel of the whole thing, sick as it is.
weird wabbit

ambush
Banned
May 9, 2004, 10:03 PM

New ones.

In God We Trustļæ½

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Look in the mirror and say it.
Haha, good one.

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by heresiarh:
Haha, good one.
Side Note: Some columnits write that US Gov should not apologize for the mistreatment of prisoners and write that Saddam was never opposed by the Arabs for his terrible tortures. The difference is that Saddam Hussein was a tyrant and the American Gov is not. If some soldiers performed such acts, they should punish them and set an example.

BigMeatyChunks
May 10, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by ambush:

New ones.

In God We Trustļæ½
The horror. That prisoner is obviously being dipped in a big vat of hot oil

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by BigMeatyChunks:
Do you think your opinion will make any difference in the way that the Arab world sees this?
weird wabbit

BigMeatyChunks
May 10, 2004, 04:48 PM

The photo could show a bunch of prisoners sitting around playing bridge or pinochle and still the Arabs would find something wrong with it.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 04:52 PM

The photo could show a bunch of prisoners sitting around playing bridge or pinochle and still the Arabs would find something wrong with it.
And you would still claim that photographic evidence of Nazi like abuse is only normal. the ironic thing, and it is a bitter irony, is that all those SS veterans of WWII must be laughing. After 60 years of being accused of being the butchers of the century, they must feel vindicated right now.
weird wabbit

BigMeatyChunks
May 10, 2004, 04:56 PM

Talk to me when we start firing up the ovens or making lampshades, shoes, and purses out of Iraqis.

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2004, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
And you would still claim that photographic evidence of Nazi like abuse is only normal. the ironic thing, and it is a bitter irony, is that all those SS veterans of WWII must be laughing. After 60 years of being accused of being the butchers of the century, they must feel vindicated right now.
This is the most ridiculous statement yet! Are you on medication?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 05:21 PM

Do you find something wrong with it?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by hagheid:
This is the most ridiculous statement yet! Are you on medication?
Only Cocaine.
weird wabbit

BigMeatyChunks
May 10, 2004, 05:29 PM

Do you find something wrong with it?
No, it could be worse.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 05:43 PM

No, it could be worse.
One thing we should Al Qaida be grateful for is that they made the Americans reveal their true, ugly face. I didn't know that America's moral measuring rod was Adolf Hitler and Saddam Hussein.

BigMeatyChunks
May 10, 2004, 05:56 PM

You guys are ones to talk.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 05:57 PM

One thing we should Al Qaida be grateful for is that they made the Americans reveal their true, ugly face. I didn't know that America's moral measuring rod was Adolf Hitler and Saddam Hussein.
Again, if you want to know why Americans are often suspicious of European posters' motives, look no further than comments like this one.

christ
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 06:00 PM

Talk to me when we start firing up the ovens or making lampshades, shoes, and purses out of Iraqis.
Because anything less than that is 'hazing'?
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 06:02 PM

Nope, except the prisoner died from the dogs attacking him. I guess it just part of the "hazing".

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
Again, if you want to know why Americans are often suspicious of European posters' motives, look no further than comments like this one.
Come on! This guy has been posting some very borderline statements over the last few pages, basically claiming that there is nothing wrong with this abuse and that prisoners have no rights, should be treated inhumanely etc, and this is the best you can come up with?
weird wabbit

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
Come on! This guy has been posting some very borderline statements over the last few pages, basically claiming that there is nothing wrong with this abuse and that prisoners have no rights, should be treated inhumanely etc, and this is the best you can come up with?
It didn't take me this long to realize that netgear/snickerdoodle/vanillacoke/bigmeatychunks/whatever his next username will be isn't generally worth arguing with. He's hardly representative of what most Americans think, and either way, it's not fair to generalize based on his ramblings.

Forum Links
Forum Rules