Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > A Friendly Newbie forum, any need?

View Poll Results: So, how do you find?
Poll Options:
Great, lets do it! 4 votes (28.57%)
It might turn out ok 4 votes (28.57%)
It probably wouldn't take off 1 votes (7.14%)
There's really no need 5 votes (35.71%)
Other... 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll
A Friendly Newbie forum, any need?
Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 08:18 AM

Some sites have a dedicated forum for newbies, where a bunch of FAQs and 'good reads' are stickified and 'stupid' (and too frequently asked) questions can be posted without needing to worry about pissing someone off.

To veterans, the forums seem quite friendly enough (well, except for a few spesific ones), but to a new Mac user the added comfort might be important and encouraging.

Also, having certain FAQs and stuff in the Newbie/Switcher whatever section could keep things cleaner in the other areas? Like 'good Mac links', 'rumor sites', 'folklore', 'PC switcher links', 'Unix switcher links' etc. I could compile a list or two.

I'm not really suggesting this, but would like to hear your opinions on the idea. I'm sure it's been proposed before, I just couldn't find the thread. As the Mac user base grows up, a forum like this could be a nice welcoming gesture. Besides, I like to pass new users this way for information and I'd like them to be treated nicely.

A good example (though quite a bit different than MacNN) is the Atari Forums for UT2K4, where theres a 'Beginner's' section.

J

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 05:00 PM

Hmmm, I think the lounge can be intimidating for newbs... although I think it is kind of OK that way, as people have usually 'found their voice' before they start to post there so things are kept in check.

If you have a dedicated newb forum, how may established members will go there just to bait the new guys?

Could be more hassle than it's worth.

Now a 'switcher' forum... that could genuinely be useful.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Apr 18, 2004, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
If you have a dedicated newb forum, how may established members will go there just to bait the new guys?
no. he's basically suggesting a FAQ forum, which has previously been suggested a whole bunch of times. i've been a fan of this every time it's come up.

i further suggest that flaming in such a forum results in a ban. people come to a forum like this because they have a problem they need to fix. well, apart from all the freaks and gimps who are here purely for the Political Lounge.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 05:17 PM

No need. Just got to jump in feet first and start swimming. Either you survive or you drown. If you drown, big deal. It's an effing internet forum. There's thousands of them out there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules