Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ~ The official Tiger buglist

~ The official Tiger buglist (Page 8)
beverson
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2005, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by LightWaver-67
Not true... I've used iCal since its introduction and I can guarantee that up until my update from Panther to Tiger... the app ALWAYS showed the current date in the dock icon while running. Now, I cannot even figure-out how to FORCE it to show it.

I have it set to automatically launch at starup and have ever since I've been using it and the date-in-the-dock functionality ceased after the Tiger upgrade.
My iCal icon actually does a much better job (so far) of displaying the correct date in the Dock. In Panther, for as long as I can remember, it would occasionally get stuck on a date. It would stay that way until I quit and re-launched iCal. It would even stay stuck after quit, changing to the default 17 July date only when bouncing in the Dock, and then settling on the proper date after it stopped bouncing. Anyway, now it seems to stay on the correct date -- again, at least so far. So your problem may be isolated.

badtz
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Erik Vlietinck
Dashboard: install a new widget and try using it. Then leave Dashboard. Go back and the widget has lost its icon, at least on my machine. Restart and everything is fine again.

make sure you install the widget into /library/widgets or ~/library/widgets

when you double click it from anywhere else, and click "Accept" ... it's just to test out the widget until you close that widget (it won't be in your dashboard dock)

JLL
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by MacGallant
The scrollbar leaving trails was exactly the problem I was trying to describe when I spoke of scrollbar "artifacts"

I hope Apple fixes this.
I haven't seen that on either of my Macs - can it be a videocard driver problem?
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 5, 2005, 01:31 PM

10.4.1 to correct lots of bugs

Already, insiders tell AppleInsider that recent builds of the system update have addressed nearly two dozen bugs located in Tiger, including sleep issues with iMacs, random crashes related to the new H.264 video codec, PDF printing problems with Safari and Bluetooth over FTP.

Problems with AddressBook, .Mac registration, iPhoto, Pages, iCal, iSync and iDVD have also been rectified, sources said.

Of interest to some users, sources said Mac OS X 10.4.1 will also correct DHCP issues experienced by some Tiger users who own certain D-Link wireless routers.

Oh and it's 8B. 8A428 is so April.

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2005, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by iDriveX
Here's another one. In a wireless distribution system via multiple Airport Expresses, the handoff between the Airport expresses used to be seamless, now whenever you roam, when you hand off from one to another there is about a 15-30 second lag before you have any internet access and a thing called "Network Diagnostics" comes up. Before you can get through the entire screen, the internet is back about 15-30 seconds later (even though you have full airport bars the whole time).
I have exactly the same problem too!
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2005, 06:23 PM

Some of the key areas to be targeted by the (10.4.1) update include: AFPServer, AddressBook, AppKit, Bluetooth, Carbon, CoreFoundation, CoreGraphics, DashBoard Widgets, DVD Player, Directory Services, Fonts, Help, iCal, iSync, Mail, Preview, Printing, OpenLDAP, Quartz, SecurityAgent, and WebCore.
I don't see any direct mention to Spotlight...?

Lucky8
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 06:35 PM

World Clock : NO New Zealand Time!

real
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2005, 08:39 PM

Anyone find the reason for the iChatAgent going red(App is not responding) in the ActivityViewer, I have this same problem have not found a fix

As for people with laptops there is a option(System Prefs) to have your screen dim when you unplug from the power source.
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2005, 08:42 PM

i have a problem with spotlight and my international settings. i reset the keyboard settings so that my apple + spacebar would default to my input switching but whenever i reboot it reverts back to opening spotlight its a bit irritating.
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2005, 10:27 PM

Well this is an interesting thread! I don't even know how some of you found these quirky little bugs. Here's my impression:

iPhoto sucks after Tiger installation. I did a fresh install on a brand new firewire drive, and iPhoto is slow, and crashes occasionally.

The stickies widget sucks. Period. Make it resizeable.

I used to think the iCal icon would stay on the last date you launched the app, now it seems to revert to 17. Maybe it's no different, but I think it is.

Hopefully everyone is SUBMITTING THESE BUGS! Also, hopefully 10.4.1 will clean up a lot if these little things-

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 10:42 PM

I'll second that the stickies widget is totally useless. Thank god they left in stickies.app
12.1" Powerbook G4

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 11:11 PM

yeah...
hopefully stickies in dashboard will be fixed on 10.4.1...
buggy, fixed size, unable to import text into...

yikes!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Squozen
May 5, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by v.noir
Wasn't it ctrl-z? It's ctrl-z for me, and was on Panther too.
Don't use Ctrl-Z. Ctrl-Z stops execution of a job, it doesn't quit it. You can see all the stopped jobs by typing 'jobs' in a Terminal window, and if you haven't rebooted recently, you'll see all the zombie man tasks waiting for you to resume them (by typing 'fg <jobnumber>'

Back in university one of our mainframes used to grind to a halt every few weeks because hundreds of clueless students would quit EVERY task with Ctrl-Z, causing the OS to slowly run out of memory and CPU cycles, forcing a reboot.

Squozen
May 5, 2005, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky8
World Clock : NO New Zealand Time!
Try 'Pacific, Wellington'

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2005, 01:55 AM

I really can't believe I'm still seeing those truncated names in OS X. I have a file in my Desktop that's called

Exopolis_2004Reel.mo
v

Jobs hates the Finder, OK, but this is ridiculous.
( Last edited by mAxximo; May 6, 2005 at 02:05 AM. )

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 02:16 AM

wheres my address book?!!!! MAN!!! Gone in my mail app too. Crap

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2005, 05:26 AM

Does periodic still work for anybody with Tiger?

% sudo periodic daily
does anbsolutely zitch. Nada.

My periodic has lost its man page too.

And if I do a
% ls -Al /var/log/ | grep '.out'
to see when my daily, weekly and monthly tasks last ran, I see that Tiger no longer does the daily. WTF? Can anybody confirm that Tiger is still doing its cron tasks?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2005, 05:58 AM

cron has been replaced by launchd. Do a little research on google and you should be able to figure it out.

That said, my periodic still exists:
Code:
$ type periodic periodic is /usr/sbin/periodic

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2005, 06:00 AM

Oh, my periodic still exists too, but it's not doing anything. And it's not being ran by the system at 3am either.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2005, 07:54 AM

With Tiger I have been getting a weird crash if I try to put my computer to sleep using the finder menu on the top left of the screen. The mouse disappears and the keyboard and on/off button on the CPU all cease to work, but nothing else happens. It has happened to me twice now, and each time I have had to do a hard reboot.

Other methods of putting the computer to sleep don't cause the same problem.

Has anyone else seen this bug?

JLL
Professional Poster
May 6, 2005, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
Does periodic still work for anybody with Tiger?

% sudo periodic daily
does anbsolutely zitch. Nada.

My periodic has lost its man page too.

And if I do a
% ls -Al /var/log/ | grep '.out'
to see when my daily, weekly and monthly tasks last ran, I see that Tiger no longer does the daily. WTF? Can anybody confirm that Tiger is still doing its cron tasks?
Periodic is on my machine including it's man pages AND it runs in the night but controlled by launcd now instead of cron.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

insha
Senior User
May 6, 2005, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by pyn
so wheres Graphulator or Grapher :'(
Applications -> Utilities -> Grapher

Played with it a little and it's pretty good.

MartiNZ
Senior User
May 6, 2005, 05:32 PM

I've submitted a little feedback on some of the things I've noticed - and when submitting I had to also comment on the fact that there is no option to submit about Tiger: in the OS list they only go to 10.3 on the feedback page!

Thinine
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by mAxximo
I really can't believe I'm still seeing those truncated names in OS X. I have a file in my Desktop that's called

Exopolis_2004Reel.mo
v

Jobs hates the Finder, OK, but this is ridiculous.
How exactly do you want them to deal with this? Your file name is essentially one big string, so it can't really tell where to parse it so that it doesn't exceed the maximum name width. And saying just to never break file extension may not work, since then you'd have to break at an arbitrary place in the file name, which other people may not like. And if you say, put it all on one line, then you run into the problem of how many characters over the maximum width do you let people go? 1? 2? 3? Any choice here is arbitrary. So I think here is yet another instance of you making something out of nothing, just because you feel like complaining.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2005, 06:57 PM

Not going to read all the pages here but here are a few I've noticed.

My expose key bindings keep getting lost.
Dock incorrectly reports app crashes.
Dock app names get "stuck" and stay even after mouse has moved away.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2005, 10:15 PM

I recall seeing this problem years ago, and can't find a solution for it.

If I double-click a document related to a specific app, the app will open but the document won't. I have to open the doc from within the app.

Suggestions? This has to be a simple one!!

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2005, 10:55 PM

I am starting to think that the 2-4 week delay in the shipment of my Up-to-date Tiger order might just be a blessing in disguise...

Please beta-test the snot out of Tiger for me, everyone!! Maybe when I get it, 10.4.1 (or 10.4.2) will be out.
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

sokukodo
May 6, 2005, 11:29 PM

I don't have the option of Journaling ... the icon is grayed-out
Richard T.
1st generation G5 Dual 2Ghz w/ 8 Gigs of RAM;
ATI Radeon X800 XT
20" Cinema Display

UnixMac
Mac Elite
May 7, 2005, 12:10 AM

I don't know if it's been mentioned, couldn't find it with a search.. but on both my Macs I have problem navigating with Safari and secure sites, such as banks and other https sites.. I basically click a button which should transport me to a subsequent page, then I get a "safari can find the selected page, server might be busy" error, which is BS as I never used to get these errors before, and not all https servers can be busy all of a sudden.

Also, I too am getting the artifacts on the scroll bar on certain sites..

Tiger is certainly buggy, but I'm sure Apple will address them all by the next two or three updates.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2005, 01:56 AM

Bug:

I'm unable to select an iPhoto smart album (or even several of my static albums... though I haven't found a connection) in my "Change Picture every xxxx minutes" option in the Desktops & Screen Savers prefpane.

I get varying behavior, including (1) not being able to even select a photo from those albums, to (2) not being able to check the box, to (3) being able to check the box but the desktop reverts to Tiger-default-blue instead of beginning the random selection from that album.

Anyone else?
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

Jay Condon
May 7, 2005, 03:23 AM

Even though Iv'e never seen a finder window open the same way twice , Iv'e always kept the pane splitter set so it's "snapped" on icon view, and those handy little tooltips would pop up telling me which of my six partitions I'm about to click on.

For whatever reason, the splitter pane in Tiger keeps resetting itself just a tad over, and those tooltips won't appear. If I nudge the splitter pane back into "snapping" position, it will stick for maybe the next four or five finder windows I launch. But later in my work session, that dam pane has nudged itself over again and Iv'e lost those tooltips

Anyone else seeing this??

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2005, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by JLL
Periodic is on my machine including it's man pages AND it runs in the night but controlled by launcd now instead of cron.
Holy smoke. This night it actually did some maintenance for the first time since I installed Tiger. At 3.29am it did the weekly and at 3.31am the daily. Pretty weird, it took the weekly task to run first before the daily started. I'm anxious to see what happens this night.

gregrochedc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2005, 05:59 AM

Since installing Tiger I consistently get a 2" x 2" white square in the upper left of my screen. It appears just after the desktop icons and just before the menubar icons (bluetooth, airport, etc.) It floats above all other windows. It does not appear if I sign in under another user or if I log in under safe mode. I tried disabling all startup items under my admin user name, but it still appears. (I wanted to include a screen shot but could not figure out how!)

I haven't seen this issue posted anywhere.... Am I the only one with this problem?

OreoCookie
May 7, 2005, 06:05 AM

I just decided to make this thread a sticky. I hope I can unstick it with the release of 10.4.1
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

jaap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2005, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by hellmachine
major bug!!!!
man, tiger seems so rushed out...
spotlight:
if you have 2 partitions it seems to oversee one of the partitions. so spotlight don't find stuff one one of two partitions. i can reproduce it on a powerbook and an old g4/800...
i have 3 firewire drives, one contains my userfolder, 2 are full of mp3s. spotlight finds everything here. but on the internal drive nothing can be found :-(
problem here: it seems that spotlight is the only way to find stuff. so, if the indexing don't work there is no way to find something. bad...
Try this: Open terminal (Applications/Utils), then type:
sudo -s
then:
mdutil -s /Volumes/Name of my volume
to check state of indexing on vol. if off, use mdutil -i on /Volumes/Name of my volume

If index is for some reason incomplete (external drive), i think you can use:
mdutil -E /Volumes/Name of my volume to delete index (which should force a reindex)

Jaap

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 7, 2005, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by UnixMac
... I have problem navigating with Safari and secure sites, such as banks and other https sites.. I basically click a button which should transport me to a subsequent page, then I get a "safari can find the selected page, server might be busy" error, which is BS as I never used to get these errors before, and not all https servers can be busy all of a sudden.

Same thing here. Annoying, isn't it?
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

coldfusion1970
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2005, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
The bugs I have encountered after 2 hours using Tiger: (I've been filing bugs at Apple's website like crazy)

1. Dashboard always crashes after installing a new widget.

2. Smart folders have no way to choose "or" instead of "and" - and really, if you choose mutually exclusive criteria (like kind: images and kind: documents), then "or" should be the default.

3. The "file pathname" selector in smart folders doesn't work. It always returns 0 items.

4. Cmd-ctrl-D does not produce the dictionary pop-up window in Safari (but does in other apps).
Probably more a issue to do with your setup rather than Tiger.
I have no problems with numbers 1 & 4.
Did you do a erase and install like i did?

coldfusion1970
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2005, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by LightWaver-67
Not true... I've used iCal since its introduction and I can guarantee that up until my update from Panther to Tiger... the app ALWAYS showed the current date in the dock icon while running. Now, I cannot even figure-out how to FORCE it to show it.

I have it set to automatically launch at starup and have ever since I've been using it and the date-in-the-dock functionality ceased after the Tiger upgrade.
You mis-interpreted my comment.
I was saying that iCal always shows the correct date when the application is running (ie. when there is a black triangle under the icon in the dock).
This has not changed under Tiger as my iCal works perfectly.
Did you do a erase and install?

coldfusion1970
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2005, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by juanvaldes
Not going to read all the pages here but here are a few I've noticed.
Dock app names get "stuck" and stay even after mouse has moved away.
Now this is a problem i've had with Panther and Tiger.
I normally have my dock set to hidden and sometimes after i access an icon in the dock and the dock retracts, it still shows the floating name of the icon i clicked on.
I can get it to go away by selecting the dock again.

ecrelin
May 7, 2005, 09:41 AM

Not a real bug list!!!!!! Take that "official" OFF!!!!
Anyone reading this list be aware, many many many of these problems are unique to the user. Many are simply whining about change or disappointment at things not working the way they want.
Yes, there are bugs, surprise, an update is already circulating at Apple, make sure you notify them of your problem AFTER you've done some research and made sure its not permissions or some hack in your old system.
This thread should be renamed as potential problems that need answers.
Do you really want widgets to run contuinually in the background? Maybe that will be an option in the future but many are running it on cube's and old iron. If you have a slow internet connection and a machine close to minimum specs maybe you should stay with 10.3.
I have noticed some update delays and inappropriate crash notifications but nothing that stops me from getting things done, knowing what they've changed under the hood and where they are going I am more than willing to go slowly over a couple speed bumps. If you are really that pissed you can always buy a shiny new Dell and wait for Longshot.

LightWaver-67
Senior User
May 7, 2005, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by coldfusion1970
You mis-interpreted my comment.
I was saying that iCal always shows the correct date when the application is running (ie. when there is a black triangle under the icon in the dock).
This has not changed under Tiger as my iCal works perfectly.
Did you do a erase and install?
Actually... I understood just fine. I am saying that under Tiger... WHILE iCal IS RUNNING... (active application, black triangle underneath, window open on screen) the date in the icon does NOT reflect the current date. It shows the 17th.

I am perfectly aware that iCal needs to be running for the dock icon to be "aware" of the current date.

The functionality of seeing the current date in the dock icon of the RUNNING iCal application ceased when I switched to Tiger.

I did an archive & install. Everything else works fine.

BUT....

Since my original post, I must confess that as-of yesterday... it has started working again. I have NO IDEA what changed... but now the dock icon displays todays current date.

Quite odd.

kcmac
Mac Elite
May 7, 2005, 09:59 AM

The Epson Printer Utility.app cannot see your printer using Bonjour. It has to be directly plugged into the computer to use it.

This app is needed to clean your nozzles, fix alignment, etc.

LightWaver-67
Senior User
May 7, 2005, 10:13 AM

Anyone else having Drag & Drop issues...?

I cannot open documents by dragging & dropping on icons of closed nor open applications. Nothing happens when I do it. I must use the "Open" dialog boxes.

I first noticed it w/ Photoshop CS... but came to realize that it happens in other apps too.

Am I the only one...?

gvmelbrty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2005, 10:43 AM

Bug (reported to Apple):

When booting, waking from sleep or upon plug-in, USB barcode scanners, such as the cheapie CueCat, cause a dialog to pop-up asking you to identify an "extra" keyboard.

(This issue was not present on any 10.3.x version)

-t

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Thinine
How exactly do you want them to deal with this? Your file name is essentially one big string, so it can't really tell where to parse it so that it doesn't exceed the maximum name width. And saying just to never break file extension may not work, since then you'd have to break at an arbitrary place in the file name, which other people may not like. And if you say, put it all on one line, then you run into the problem of how many characters over the maximum width do you let people go? 1? 2? 3? Any choice here is arbitrary. So I think here is yet another instance of you making something out of nothing, just because you feel like complaining.
Yeah, when a word is too long let's send just one letter to the second line. Brilliant.

I'd say here is yet another instance of stupid �Finder� behaviour you fail to acknowledge because, well...you just can't. It's OK.

OreoCookie
May 7, 2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by mAxximo
Yeah, when a word is too long let's send just one letter to the second line. Brilliant.

I'd say here is yet another instance of stupid �Finder� behaviour you fail to acknowledge because, well...you just can't. It's OK.
How would you do it?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by tonewheel
I recall seeing this problem years ago, and can't find a solution for it.

If I double-click a document related to a specific app, the app will open but the document won't. I have to open the doc from within the app.

Suggestions? This has to be a simple one!!
If the app you're talking about is Photoshop, then you need to reinstall it. It's a known problem when required libraries are missing in Application Support.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
May 7, 2005, 03:31 PM

i'm on a powerbook with a d-link DI-614+ wireless 802.11b router. after i installed tiger, it shows 4 bars but i kind of doubt it now? i recently switched to high speed cable (~2500kbps) but it feels even slower. possibly getting dropped here and there.
iamwhor3hay

palple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2005, 03:56 PM

Shared disks mounting through the finder it's even buggier for me than in panther! While SMB access has always been problematic for me in panther too, macs access was good, but now in tiger when i click on the mac i want to mount it says that the alias is broken! moreover, when in column view, the 'connect' button that appears in the icon column doesn't work at all! Of course, everything it's fine when i mount it through the 'connect to server' menu, but then i have to remember the ip address of the other mac... the funniest part of this story is that in 10.2 jaguar network access through the 'connect to server' was excellent for both smb and mac shares, and all the accessible shares where shown in that dialog window...
iMac fp 15'' G4 700Mhz, 256MB RAM, 10.3.8
iBook 12'' G4 1.2Ghz, 768MB RAM, 60G, 10.4.0

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2005, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
How would you do it?
Give me one option to �Never Break Single Words� or, if I don't check that box, a slider to set the minimum amount of letters in the second line to whatever I like.

What's even more retarded with the actual �method� is that using the same amount of characters divided into two words doesn't send any stray letter to the second line whereas if it's one word only �same number of letters� one gets sent to the second line...

Forum Links
Forum Rules