Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Best iPod hookup with a car stereo?

Best iPod hookup with a car stereo?
hoek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2002, 08:04 PM

I'm planning on getting an iPod and am looking for advice on hooking it up with my car stereos. One car has CD and one cassette. Do the fm tranmitters sound very good and work well? I've been told you have to tweak them often and have the positioned just right. I could go the fm modulator route for a more direct connection but then I've have to buy one for each car and invest the time for installation. The third option is to just go with a cassette adapter and only have it in on car.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2002, 10:09 PM

Or you could go with a "AUX IN" CD Player....that's what I did. Sounds AMAZING!

jimsmac
Jul 29, 2002, 08:19 AM

I'm wandering too about options as I have a CD player in my car. The CD player is a standard Ford UK one and has "CD Multichanger Compatible" written on the front. I presume from this it must have some kind of spare audio input on the back. (I've never removed it from the dashboard and don't want to unless I absolutely have to.)
James
eMac 1.25, iBook 600, Airport Extreme, iPod G4 20gb

losta
Jul 29, 2002, 05:06 PM

I've used one of the that broadcasts on FM band. Arkon Soundfeeder. It's great, no extra cables besides the box itself, works anywhere you have a radio. It broadcasts on your choice of 4 low usage FM bandwidths I have seen other versions available too from the Apple Store and Dr Bott.
Thanks in advance.

macrophyllum
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2003, 02:52 PM

OK, I just got a new iPod and I am looking for the best way to hook it up to my car's CD player (it doesn't have an input). It seems like things like the iTrip and iRock are OK, but one might have to change the channel frequently and such. So what about one of these http://www.speedsound.com/tek9.asp?p...cific=jpnrlqr4

dencamp
Senior User
Jun 3, 2003, 02:59 PM

Any advise on a cheap aux-in CD player (under 200). I asked in the lounge a month ago and got no real info...

Two steps forward (six steps back)

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2003, 05:12 PM

This site might help for some of you's:

http://www.rcainput.com/

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2003, 10:48 PM

Aiwa makes one with an Aux input on the front for under $100US, the CDC-Z127. Don't know if it's any good though.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2003, 11:42 PM

Wow! That rcainput.com site kicks butt!

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2003, 11:53 PM

I piss on Aiwa

I got a fairly cheap JVC CD deck with line in on the front last year, it was only $179 for the unit it self.

Worked well, to bad the car its in is Section 8, hopfully i will get it back so i can use my ipod more.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Aiwa makes one with an Aux input on the front for under $100US, the CDC-Z127. Don't know if it's any good though.
Get it when they offer free install.

It's the best thing for the least cash. I have had one (or maybe a previous iteration) for more than a year and half. My unit skips CDs over the smallest bumps, but I think that's due to poor installation, which I have yet to remedy because, well, it's either the ipod or public radio 99.9% of the time for me.

Now, if only I can get an XM radio unit with aux-in.
I, ASIMO.

dencamp
Senior User
Jun 4, 2003, 08:44 AM

Thanks much. Great info.

Two steps forward (six steps back)

jtbowden
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2003, 06:29 PM

I used an AUX adapter from pie (http://www.pie.net) to hook to my Accord's factory head unit. Works beautifully.

I also used a Belkin adapter and an extra AC socket from radio shack ot hook it all up under the console. I love how it turned out.

Check it out:

http://www.ee.byu.edu/~jtb8/iPod/index.html

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by d0ubled0wn:
This site might help for some of you's:

http://www.rcainput.com/
Nice! I've been wondering if such cables existed, but I could never find them. Thanks!

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Forum Links
Forum Rules