Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > broken sleep LED -- advice?

broken sleep LED -- advice?
beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2005, 04:10 PM

So the sleep LED on my 1.5 ghz 12" PB G4 is not working consistently. Sleep itself is fine, I'm pretty sure it's just the LED. I've read a few other threads, and seem to be having similar problems. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes I can make it blink by pushing down on parts of the case. Particularly, if I put it to sleep with the screen still open and push firmly under the trackpad button but to the left of the latch hole, then I can usually get it to stay on. Other times, it will only pulse while I'm pressing on the case, and then pulse more dimly or not at all when I let go. Pretty sure it's just a loose connection.

So, my question is, should I send it in for such a small repair (still under warranty/Apple Care) or take it apart to try and fix myself. I've already found the take-apart instructions at http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/53.7.0.html, and it looks daunting but not impossible. I'm not a tech, but I've done repairs and upgrades on my old iMac and iBook. I am a bit scared of damaging something, but I don't want to be without my PowerBook for several days while it's shipped out and back. School's starting soon, and I need to be planning classes. If only this had happened earlier in the summer when I was just slacking off.

Is it worth it? Anyone taken apart a PB before for this (or to get similarly deep into its guts)? How hard is it really? Or better yet, how risky?

bighead
Senior User
Aug 8, 2005, 01:47 AM

Take apart your book and break something, and you won't have a warranty to help you out.

I'd bite the bullet and mail it in. The LED is part of the bottom case IIRC (edit: no it's not. I was thinking of the 15"), and 12s are about as fun to work on as a prostate exam. Keeping your warranty intact is worth it in the long run, trust me on that.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

Forum Links
Forum Rules