Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mod-chips ruled legal in Australia

Mod-chips ruled legal in Australia
xenu
Senior User
Oct 6, 2005, 02:55 AM

"THE High Court of Australia has unanimously ruled that mod-chips are legal, but the implications of the case for game manufacturers are not clear.

The mod chips circumvent technology designed to stop Sony PlayStation consoles from playing illegally copied game discs.

The mod chips also allow gamers to ignore manufacturers' regional coding systems and purchase games and DVDs designed for markets outside of Australia, which are often cheaper than those from local suppliers.

All six High Court judges held that widely-used mod-chips were legal."

http://australianit.news.com.au/arti...nbv%5E,00.html

It's about time consumers came out on top.
Until the Government changes the law to screw the consumer again.

So buy 'em while they are legal people.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 6, 2005, 02:59 AM

And yet it's still technically illegal to use a MP3 player there*. What a country.

*No one is selling MP3s in Oz and it's illegal to rip MP3s from a CD there.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 6, 2005, 03:13 AM

Many people have Mp3 players here. Who told you they are illegal.. that's stupid. I have an iPod Shuffle. It's great.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2005, 03:27 AM

Cubeoid: It's true, they are illegal here. But its an unenforced law. We also don't have 'fair use' laws that allow the copying of our CDs to our computers like most other developed countries, yet that too is unenforced.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2005, 03:44 AM

You mean you do have fair use laws?

Also, are these mod-chips easy to acquire here in the states?

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2005, 03:51 AM

No, we don't have fair-use laws. We don't have laws that allow us to copy our own copyrighted material for 'fair use/personal' reasons. Our laws technically still enforce that copying of copyrighted material is illegal.

This is unenforced however, with no precedent for anyone being prosecuted for what would be regarded in the states as 'Fair/Personal Use'.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 6, 2005, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
Many people have Mp3 players here. Who told you they are illegal.. that's stupid. I have an iPod Shuffle. It's great.
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...5E2902,00.html

demograph68
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2005, 05:20 AM

Michael Kerin is an idiot. I bet most musicians think so too.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2005, 05:22 AM

"The 27-year-old is opposed to piracy, and once watched a pirated movie for only three minutes before the guilt overtook her and she switched it off."

Railroader
Banned
Oct 6, 2005, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by demograph68
Michael Kerin is an idiot. I bet most musicians think so too.
I agree 100% But, he is the worst kind of idiot... a greedy idiot with a little power.

Originally Posted by PurpleGiant
"The 27-year-old is opposed to piracy, and once watched a pirated movie for only three minutes before the guilt overtook her and she switched it off."
A little bit more of the quote:
"The 27-year-old is opposed to piracy, and once watched a pirated movie for only three minutes before the guilt overtook her and she switched it off.

"When I got my iPod I got online ready to pay. Hours later and after being devastated to find out Apple doesn't care about iPod owners, I had to give up," she said. '

You don't think she's a MS user and finds them to be a upstanding business do you?

Forum Links
Forum Rules