Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > New iTMS payment system!

New iTMS payment system!
kman42
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2006, 03:26 PM

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2006, 04:16 PM

Hmm, interesting idea.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2006, 06:18 PM

I like the new pricing a lot... now if they would only do something about the quality.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2006, 07:18 PM

It's similar to just purchasing an entire season at a discount, although daily show and colbert report don't really have seasons since they air year round. I wonder if you will be able to buy the entire season of the Sopranos or Lost since they don't really work as monthly deals (especially Lost which only airs about one new episode every month lately). A little tweaking could make this scheme applicable to any series.

I'm assuming we will see movie rentals soon enough.

kman

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2006, 07:38 PM

It works out to be a month's worth of shows (4/week x 4 weeks), but you actually appear to be buying the next 16 new episodes of The Daily Show (or The Report). So when they take a week off, you're not buying a week of reruns or just getting 12 episodes that month.

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2006, 07:42 PM

...by the way, Comcast should be very worried. The Daily Show is one of the few reasons I'm still paying for cable, and they charge me a lot more than $10/month.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2006, 08:05 PM

But do you really want to regularly pay for video downloads from iTMS given the comparatively low quality encoding offered? I would never pay for an iTMS season of South Park at $25-$30 when I can get full quality DVDs for the same price.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
But do you really want to regularly pay for video downloads from iTMS given the comparatively low quality encoding offered? I would never pay for an iTMS season of South Park at $25-$30 when I can get full quality DVDs for the same price.
does the video quality realy matter that much when watching south park.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2006, 08:19 PM

Sure it does. Okay, you made me laugh with that comment, but I still care about video quality. If I am going to pay as much as I would for the DVDs, I want the download to be near DVD quality regardless of the content in question.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2006, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
There aren't really DVDs of The Daily Show or The Colbert Report, though--except the "Indecision 2004" package. So it's not like there's really a higher-quality alternative, unless you want to record it yourself.

Originally Posted by kman42
I wonder if you will be able to buy the entire season of the Sopranos or Lost since they don't really work as monthly deals
Uh...they already do this.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
There aren't really DVDs of The Daily Show or The Colbert Report, though--except the "Indecision 2004" package. So it's not like there's really a higher-quality alternative, unless you want to record it yourself.
Good point. . .

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2006, 08:30 PM

But you can't buy them in advance like you can with the Multi-pass. That's the big difference as far as I can tell. I don't want to pay for last season's Lost, but I might pay for this season if I could cancel my cable.

And I don't really care about the quality either as I am still using a crappy 27" TV I bought for $150 at Costco about 7 years ago. I understand why some people do care and I suppose iTMS isn't really for them anyway. At least until the bandwidth is there to download HD files.

kman

Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by beverson
...by the way, Comcast should be very worried. The Daily Show is one of the few reasons I'm still paying for cable, and they charge me a lot more than $10/month.
Ditto. I can buy this subscription, and MLB.com's silly TV webcast subscription, and get everything I currently pay for cable for. The only real problem is getting the iTMS/MLB.com content to my TV. I am so ready for a video-enabled AirPort Express!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2006, 10:01 PM

I didn't even see what shows were available; the past few months worth of content for both the Daily Show and the Colbert Report are available, ad-free (or at least the ads are blocked by filterset.g), on comedycentral.com at similar quality. No wonder they're so cheap.

Forum Links
Forum Rules