Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How many dislike your powerbook now that macbook pro is out?

How many dislike your powerbook now that macbook pro is out?
Recontech
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2006, 06:39 AM

So, I have the latest generation 15" powerbook....upgraded the ram to 1.5gb, and with the 128mb graphics card, its a pretty darn great machine. However, I can't help but feel like I'm missing out with the macbook pro's out there. Should I be feeling this way?
Blackhole Forums

Discuss Computers, Technology, Philosophy

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 06:53 AM

You have a great machine.

Yesterday, I brought my rev A TiPB to the apple store for reparation (after >5 years of loyal service). Although I know I'll get a MBP before the end of the year, I had the feeling of bringing something special to the store, no matter how impressive the spects of the new machines are.

Like when you drive an old classic car (although my PB still boots OS X tiger in less than a minute). The performance of new cars may be impressive, but no new gen car is as cool as an Austin Haley, a MG, a mini, or an old Alfa Romeo Giulia to name a few.

My Ti, as my cube already is, will be an icon soon. As the Alu PBs will be soon afterwards.

Actually, the new MBP is just an imitation of the highly admired Alu book with new engine inside it.

See it that way....besides the G4s still have some muscle. I still see it in my bioinformatic lab when using dual G4s.

Cheers
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 07:03 AM

Cenutrio, know how you feel. I have a 667 TiBook. Having been thinking of upgrading for over a year now but I am resisting because this machine has been such a trooper.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 07:20 AM

Yeah, trooper fits perfectly in the overall picture I have about these machines that sometimes seem as if they won't give up.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

wilsonng
Senior User
Apr 28, 2006, 08:23 AM

I'm lusting for a 13.3" MBP but my trusty old Rev A 12" AlBook has been my constant companion since its introduction many years ago. It would be hard to let go of her.

Yeah, I'd love to tool around in a Ferrari but I can get by with my little Toyota on the highways.
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 08:27 AM

I think the only people who are going to have real 'penis envy' are the recent purchasers. People with old machines have already become accustomed to being 'inadequate'

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 08:31 AM

I had a MBP, and I like my 1ghz PowerBook more. The only things I liked better about the MBP were the Magsafe connector, iSight, and the speed. Until they come out with something smaller, the MBPs are too big for me.

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 08:36 AM

Don't say that! As I said I am thinking of 'upgrading'!!!

I am hoping you mean you had a 12" PB and the 15" and 17" are 'more than you can handle'

Seb G
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2006, 09:01 AM

As long as I can take my 3 year-old 1st gen 12", use things like Illustrator/Photoshop on it in public and hear lots of comments along the lines of "now that is a well-designed notebook", "wonderful size for a notebook, it's really portable...what, you have a cd writer in there?" or "those Apple guys really know what they're doing", I have no reason to feel inadequate.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2006, 09:28 AM

i have a 12" revC alubook, love it.
have a couple of friends with the mbp; i like it enough, but also am waiting for a 12" replacement...

hope apple takes it seriously, and it's not just an ibook in mpb clothes...

the first mbp's seem like a transitional thing; will be interesting to see what the next gen of apple 'laptops" are like (end 2006? 2007??)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ω
Don't say that! As I said I am thinking of 'upgrading'!!!

I am hoping you mean you had a 12" PB and the 15" and 17" are 'more than you can handle'
No, I have a 15" PowerBook and its footprint is already borderline too big. The 15" MBP I had just felt too long, like I was carrying around an oversized clipboard or something. I'd prefer something smaller, widescreen or not. Really looking forward to seeing what replaces the 12" Powerbook.

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2006, 10:36 AM

I love my 12" Rev B Powerbook, its maxed out out to the hilt. I came from a 17" Powerbook and love this thing. I am however buying a Macbook pro for work, so I can use windows there, and switch to OSX before I leave so I have the best of Both worlds..... sometimes being the renegade with a mac in an all Wintel world makes life a bit more difficult..... but not really...... Now I could be the one who deos it all.... with one ultra sleek machine. As far as your questions goes.... I would not upgrade just for the sake of having the latest and greatest....... because I went from a 17" ( which was the latest and greatest at that point ) to this. Many saw it as a downgrade..... but I saw it as a upgrade since I could just throw my 12" in my waterfield sleeve, and toss it in my my sling pack and ride my bike to work....... with the 17"...... you had to carry a military issued size pack or brief to just get it into something portable......... my fault..... but I corrected it. =)
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2006, 10:37 AM

BTW, I would not be selling the 12" when I buy the MBP...... I love the little guy way to much...... plus the wife has taken a liking to it as well.
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

reybart
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2006, 02:53 PM

I sold my PB 12' 3rd Rev after the announcement of the MBP15. I have May 9 as the estimated delivery of my new MBP 17 though I still have my PB 3rd rev 17'. I did not go for the 15 because I am used to 17' considering that I used the PB 12, It is hard for me to downgrade to a smaller screen! The 17" is still a cynosure wherever I bring it out. because of its size and I like it..

shiff
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2006, 06:01 PM

I absolutely love my 12 inch powerbook. I could go out and buy the new mbp but really have no need. For the things I do; it will not be any faster.

However, I will buy the 12 inch replacement machine when it comes out as long as it has a higher screen resolution. If this one had a higher resolution; I wouldnt buy a new mac for another year or so.

Right now I have docking station / 20 inch wide screen monitor at home and at work so that is how I use this and carrying this small laptop around the city as well as on the train is simple.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2006, 06:41 PM

I love my 17" Powerbook (last Powerbook version). I upgraded from a 12" to a 15" and finally to the 17". I do not like having a desktop and a laptop, and I do not find the 17" to be too big. I have a really nice sleeve and a great backpack.

I bought the Powerbook in November and I'll probably upgrade to the 2nd, or maybe 3rd, revision of the 17" MacBook Pro. I'm thinking that I'll get whatever 17" MacBook Pro is out in November 2007.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
I love my 17" Powerbook (last Powerbook version). I upgraded from a 12" to a 15" and finally to the 17". I do not like having a desktop and a laptop, and I do not find the 17" to be too big. I have a really nice sleeve and a great backpack.

I bought the Powerbook in November and I'll probably upgrade to the 2nd, or maybe 3rd, revision of the 17" MacBook Pro. I'm thinking that I'll get whatever 17" MacBook Pro is out in November 2007.
I used to think that 17 inches was too big for me, but I have to say the new 17 inch MBP is a fine machine. I got the 15' MBP and while I like it I think my next will be the 17. If you travel with your laptop a lot, the 12 is good, if you take it to the coffee shop sometimes, the 15 is the best, but if the computer is mostly at home yet you want the freedom to move it easily from room to room the 17 is the way to go.

Forum Links
Forum Rules