Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > trouble with belkin router and cable modem

trouble with belkin router and cable modem
suprz's ghost
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2006, 09:58 AM

Hi, I am having a problem with my new belkin wireless router.

I used to have it when i had DSL and it worked fine. NOW I have moved and my new place has cable for internet and is currently using a Linksys wireless router which is acting up. I want to use my belkin and get rid of the Linksys router but when i connect my belkin router up to the cable modem it WILL NOT recognize the signal coming from the cable modem. there are lights in the front of the belkin router that show "power" and show connections to computers via ethernet wires and it shows a wireless signal is being transmitted. BUT the light that shows a signal IN from the cable modem just blinks which means "NOT CONNECTED" . I dont understand what would need to be done in order for the belkin to "see" a signal going to it from the cable modem. HELP!!
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"...Albert Einstein

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 11, 2006, 11:07 AM

Turn off the cable modem. Plug the Belkin device into the modem but leave it off. Turn on the modem and let it cycle through its startup process (give it a TIMED two minutes just to be sure). Now turn on the Belkin router and let IT go through its startup process (another timed two minutes). By now the modem should recognize the router and allow it to connect.

This is common with cable modems, by the way, and this process works in most cases.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

suprz's ghost  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Turn off the cable modem. Plug the Belkin device into the modem but leave it off. Turn on the modem and let it cycle through its startup process (give it a TIMED two minutes just to be sure). Now turn on the Belkin router and let IT go through its startup process (another timed two minutes). By now the modem should recognize the router and allow it to connect.

This is common with cable modems, by the way, and this process works in most cases.
thanks for the reply, I will give it a try when i get home. for some reason everyone i talk to thinks i have to configure the router to accept the modem. which doesnt make sense to me. i think that if the router is gettign a signal from a modem, (whether a cable or dsl ) it should just see a signal and let it go through! BUT just in case it doesnt work, then what? I was on the belkin website, and it has tutorials about setting up a router etc.....and about IP addresses etc.....it is confusing, i dont remember having that much trouble when i used it for my DSL
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"...Albert Einstein

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 11, 2006, 08:36 PM

The only thing you'll need to do to the router is tell it that its Internet connection is through a cable modem-a DSL modem would need a username and password. The cable modem should automatically assign the router an address so you shouldn't need to worry about it. You might connect to the router with a cable and make sure it's not expecting to connect to a DSL modem before you do the restarts, but that should be it.

suprz's ghost  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
The only thing you'll need to do to the router is tell it that its Internet connection is through a cable modem-a DSL modem would need a username and password. The cable modem should automatically assign the router an address so you shouldn't need to worry about it. You might connect to the router with a cable and make sure it's not expecting to connect to a DSL modem before you do the restarts, but that should be it.
Thanks! I was talking to someone yesterday and he told me that i would have to reconfigure the router to recognize the cable modem instead of the DSL modem it used to be connected to. he said something about different "protocols" etc... The Belkin website said i have to connect the computer directly to the modem to get the ip address and other info and then connect the router between the modem and computer and put the ip address in the browser window and i guess it accesses the router and you set it from there....I dont know, it sounds like a pain in theA$$, but it has to be done....

MacBook91
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 01:48 PM

try using a DSL filter on your phone jack. If you have one. Play aorund with that, i did and it fixed it. I had the same problem.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 7, 2006, 03:59 PM

You need to connect to the cable modem, then use the Belkin's web interface to change the basic settings so it doesn't try to establish a DSL connection. This should be as simple as plugging directly into the router, entering an IP in your browser (the default is 192.168.2.1, and the password is blank), and clicking a few options. You'll probably want the settings under "Internet WAN", and you'll probably just need to click on "Dynamic" (because the cable modem assigns an address to the router) and enter your ISP's host name (if they gave you one). I looked in section 5 of the manual for their "Wireless G Router." Your model may be different, but it's all in the manual.

Forum Links
Forum Rules