Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Playstation to USB (Macintosh) setup

Playstation to USB (Macintosh) setup
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2007, 05:55 AM

Anyone tried using an adapter to connect a (Sony or third-party) Playstation 2 controller to a Mac? I know adapters are out there, so this can be done, but what about the software support?

FreudChicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2007, 11:47 AM

I recently purchased an adapter (about 10 dollars at Wal Mart) that allows me to connect Playstation (2), Xbox, and Game Cube controllers through the USB port on my Mac. I tried USB Overdrive (News), but it was having trouble with the right analog joystic on the Playstation game pad - it only recognized up and down axes, and only the left analog could be assigned mouse function. Today I found software on Xbox HID Driver for Mac OS X which looks like it will help (haven't had a chance to try it yet). Check out the HID Wizard link on their page.

The adapter is a good deal considering its functionality, as it also serves as a USB hub.
( Last edited by FreudChicken; Jun 29, 2007 at 11:49 AM. Reason: left out information)

FreudChicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2007, 11:36 AM

Update: The aforementioned utilities are no help - HID wizard isn't an application, it's more of a patch for a limited number of games. USB overdrive has trouble with the PS2 Dual Shock game pad because all the buttons are pressure sensitive. The only function that it recognizes this feature is in the left analog stick, which acts as the mouse. All other buttons and the right analog stick seem to send intermittent signals to the game, so a button assigned a "fire gun" command will give you short, unreliable bursts of fire, and a button assigned a "walk" or "move forward" command is the same. Controller mate isn't FREE... I'm going to return this adapter and just buy a USB game pad for the mac.

Any recommendations?

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by FreudChicken View Post

Any recommendations?
Xbox 360 Wired Controller with Xbox 360 Controller driver 0.05 - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by the_glassman View Post
I'd rather use a PS2 controller myself.

Would the usual emulators (SNES9x, MAME, etc.) support a PS2 controller plugged in via an adapter without additional software? Anyone tried this out?

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
I'd rather use a PS2 controller myself.

Would the usual emulators (SNES9x, MAME, etc.) support a PS2 controller plugged in via an adapter without additional software? Anyone tried this out?
The Xbox controller is superior in every way (except the d-pad) and doesn't require any kind of adapter since it uses USB. But whatever floats your boat.

The last couple versions of MAME have had some issues with any kind of controllers. I've previously used a Macally iShock with varying levels of success in all the emulators. You might look into one of those as it's pretty much a replica of your precious PS2 controller, except it's also USB and therefore doesn't require an adapter.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by the_glassman View Post
The Xbox controller is superior in every way (except the d-pad) and doesn't require any kind of adapter since it uses USB. But whatever floats your boat.

The last couple versions of MAME have had some issues with any kind of controllers. I've previously used a Macally iShock with varying levels of success in all the emulators. You might look into one of those as it's pretty much a replica of your precious PS2 controller, except it's also USB and therefore doesn't require an adapter.
Though I generally like the PS2 controller, the issue is actually that I already have PS2 controllers and I was hoping I would be able to sue them with my Mac instead of spending more on yet another set of gamepad controllers.

I ask about the emulators because I've seen what I ask done on a PC with an emulator and PS2 controllers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules