Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's the weirdest animal you have been bitten by?

What's the weirdest animal you have been bitten by?
Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2007, 09:40 AM

A girl?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2007, 09:44 AM

I got bitten by a giant centipede last year, I don't make a habit of screaming like a girl but when I saw what bit me it was a bit of a shock.

Anyone been bitten by something equally strange?

zro
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 10:24 AM

A cat. Not a playful little bite mind you. A real teeth in as far as they could go bite. Did not feel very good.

Other than that, no other bites I can think of.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 11:07 AM

When I was a kid I was with some friends walking through a wooded area and I felt something bite me in the thigh...deep, like a sting. I slapped my thigh in an attempt to kill it (it appeared to be inside my pants) and got stung on my hand. I was starting to panic and pinched the area where the insect from hell was, trying to kill it. It wasn't working, and I was getting multiple stings on my hand.

As I was pinching with both hands, I saw the stinger come through my pants and I freaked. I quickly started taking my pants off to get to the insect or at least let it get out...while, by the way, my pals were in various states of mirth and bemusement...and as I got my pants down I was finally able to get a good grasp on the mutant insect and throw it to the ground.

It was really extremely weird. And the little bugger looked EXACTLY like a safety pin.

Naplander
Senior User
Jul 2, 2007, 11:10 AM

A plasmodium carrying female anopheles mosquito - not pleasant, trust me!
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2007, 11:25 AM

Prairie Dog.

( Last edited by IceEnclosure; Jul 3, 2007 at 12:22 AM. )
ice

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2007, 11:47 AM

iguana
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2007, 12:41 PM

worked for a guy that bred marmosets, tamarins and had a pet spider monkey.

all three species drew blood.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2007, 12:59 PM

I got pinched by a crab. That hurt a lot more than any bite I've had. Took a good chunk out of me.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2007, 01:05 PM

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2007, 01:07 PM

A squirrel when I was younger. I was feeding them in my backyard from my hand and I wiggled my thumb a little too much. Latched on and I flung him over my head (he held on good). He flew through the yard, landed, and made his way up a tree like it was no big deal. I bled and freaked out (being about 10 years old). Went to the hospital and they said that there hadn't been a report of rabies in forty years from a squirrel or bat bite in Miami, and that we shouldn't worry about it. Fixed me up and I was good to go. I never fed the bastards again.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2007, 01:31 PM

My aunt's cat bit me on New Year's Eve when I was around 8 years old. He was trying to hurt me. I ended up not needing to go to the ER or anything, but that cat was possessed by the devil himself.

Later, my aunt and her family went to Florida on a vacation. Their housekeeper came home one day to find the cat dead, having eaten an entire hand towel in one sitting.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Cold Warrior
Jul 2, 2007, 01:38 PM

My brother got bitten by a bat once. That sucker swooped out of the sky and bit him on the forearm.

I got attached by a hornet swarm once. Multiple stings. Also been pinched by a crayfish. I've had my fingers inside the mouths of baby sharks and a stingray, but luckily no bites.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2007, 01:50 PM

yea, i also rolled down a hill once and knocked a bee hive off of a post and into my clothing.

'Fad, your squirrel flew just like my friend's prairie dog, 'cept the prairie dog whacked the wall mid-flight and slid down it like a cartoon. He had been latched onto my closed fist and I slung his ass across the room.
ice

andi*pandi
Jul 2, 2007, 01:57 PM

in childhood: rabbit (nasty teeth there).

On my honeymoon, I was stung by a stingray on the foot. I stepped on it in a tidal pool, it was hiding under the sand. We were both very surprised, but luckily I was wearing water shoes and not much damage.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2007, 02:29 PM

crikey!
ice

MrsLarry
Senior User
Jul 2, 2007, 02:38 PM

An Agouti nipped at me - crazy furry thing in Barbados. At the time, we didn't know what it was called, so we just called it "The Bunny Goat". In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have tried to pet it.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 02:41 PM

A Ladybug bit me once on the chest while I was sleeping. I guess it's more of a pinch, but it hurt and shocked the heck out of me.

Cipher13
Jul 2, 2007, 08:51 PM

So many different bites I've had over the years...

The strangest? Probably an Antechinus.

There was another one that slips my mind at the moment, which was probably stranger than the Antechinus, but I can't recall what it was called at all.

The most painful bite was from a big ****-off ant of some sort, right on the ankle... swelled like a mofo.

I was *almost* bitten by a male Sydney funnel-web (Atrax robustus) not long ago, too; while out in the bush I ended up laying down on top of one. That was a little freaky.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 10:32 PM

Jellyfish.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2007, 11:06 PM

Dolphin.

Not a weird animal but a weird thing to be bitten by I thought…
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2007, 11:18 PM

The MacNN hampster bit me once. I tried to retaliate, but it just time traveled out of the way.

Cold Warrior
Jul 2, 2007, 11:52 PM

Emu.

Not me, but a buddy who took a trip to Australia and pissed one of them off.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 3, 2007, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Dolphin.

Not a weird animal but a weird thing to be bitten by I thought…

you got bit by one? did you get cut, stitches?
Real wild dolphins do their own thing. Some are mean. As a dude in the water I'm sometimes not that excited to have a bunch of dolphin swimming around.

I do however LOVE having them run out in front of a boat I may be in, they're faster than most boats and it's so cool to watch from the bow.

(pasted it here cause their site hurts mi ojos)

DISCLAIMER: DolphinLovers.com is only carrying this article in order to present a well rounded set of facts about Dolphins. We believe that the VERY FEW dolphin "attacks" in recent years are a result of the dolphin's natural habitat being threatened. It is our opinion that if a dolphin truly wanted to hurt a human, they could do much more damage than "minor cuts and bruises."

Author: Matt Villano

Further damaging a reputation tarnished by reports of violence, a bottlenose dolphin off the coast of Florida bit a 14-year-old French tourist who tried to pet it this week. The girl, who was swimming in the Intracoastal Waterway near Nokomis, Fla., suffered only minor cuts and bruises. She was taken to a local hospital, treated and released.

While this attack certainly wasn’t fierce, local whale and dolphin experts say it may serve to accelerate a changing view of dolphins in the wild. The incident comes just months after an extensive report published in The New York Times cited similar occasions on which the seemingly friendly creatures display violence toward humans. In this case, 14-year-old Pricilla Jones was the unassuming victim. Witnesses say that Jones, a tourist from Paris, swam out to greet the dolphin and tried to pet it on the back. In response, the dolphin thrashed around in the water around her, biting her on the hand.

Sarasota County Fire Department paramedics bandaged the wound at the Point Countess Coast Guard station where her family had gone for help. Local newspapers quoted the girl as saying that she “preferred something else to take home to France as a souvenir.” According to Randall Wells, director of the Mote Marine Laboratory Center for Marine Mammal and Sea Turtle Research, the dolphin in question was most likely a dolphin named Beggar, or another dolphin that may have learned to mimic him. Beggar, named by Mote researchers for his habit of approaching boats in the Nokomis area and seeking handouts, is the only one with this particular personality problem of 2,500 dolphins in Southwest Florida monitored regularly by Mote. “Others will occasionally beg, but he's the one who does it most regularly and most dangerously,” Wells said. Beggar's reputation is widespread. “He's quite famous,” said Trevor Spradlin, a marine mammobiologist with the National Marine Fisheries Service in Silver Spring, Md. Spradlin and Wells said that at least one person bitten in the past by Beggar suffered a severe infection, but later recovered. Both experts insisted that the real problem is not the dolphins, but the fact that humans bother and molest the animals despite federal warnings and prohibitions. The Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1973 forbids these interactions, threatening abusers with fines of up to $25,000.

“It's the natural response for a wild animal [to bite when bothered],” Spradlin said. “The law prohibits such harassment and feeding of marine mammals.”

Already, residents have suggested capturing Beggar and moving the dolphin, almost 10 years old, away from a populated area. Conservationists, in turn, have responded by calling for the waterway to be closed to swimmers. Both demands are humorous to Wells. While the researcher described the call to close area beaches as “ridiculous,” he said the idea of making Beggar adjust to life away from the Intracoastal Waterway in Nokomis was even crazier. “Why should he have to [leave]? That's his home,” Wells said.

Meanwhile, the incident raises new questions about the nature of dolphins, animals once thought to be friendly and calm. Recent studies and an article in The New York Times cited repeated instances of dolphin violence against humans, and Spradlin said he feared that news of this most recent attack would further damage the animals’ reputation. Neither Spradlin nor Wells could offer a solution to this scenario, though both vowed to increase their efforts to educate the community about the dangers of taunting wild animals.

/end article

aaand special agent dolphina:

(unless you're talkin bout the tasty fish dolphin in which case **** it)
ice

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2007, 12:59 AM

I haven't been bitten by anything weird (thankfully), but I wanted to mention that when I was getting gas yesterday a Praying Mantis got on my trunk and climbed up the antenna. Very cool little bug.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2007, 04:04 AM

Talking about dolphins did you know that Susan Sarandon was once attacked by a dolphin while she was on LSD (Susan not the Dolphin).

What a way to ruin a nice afternoon.
( Last edited by moonmonkey; Jul 3, 2007 at 04:11 AM. )

OreoCookie
Jul 3, 2007, 04:22 AM

My sister.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2007, 08:20 AM

Dakar

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakarʒ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2007, 08:27 AM

You touch me, I bite.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2007, 06:12 PM

Better known as a tick, it happened last week, I realized about it a couple days later
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Rumor
Jul 3, 2007, 07:37 PM

I once was bit by a sabertoothed crotch cricket.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2007, 07:59 PM

I had one of these down my shorts one summer. Nasty thing.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2007, 08:09 PM

A fish. In the ear. While diving.

My first time diving in the open ocean, I was just waiting on the floor doing skill tests with my dive class. Suddenly I feel my ear pop. Not in a good way. Then it happens again. Then again, on the other side. I'm now a bit freaked out and have the random idea that my ears are exploding. I look over at my dive buddy who is motioning for me to cover my ears. I see this blue fish dart past me. As soon as I cover my ears the little guy moves onto my dive buddy and starts pecking her ears.

Seems the little guy was trying to clean out our ears. I took it as a hint that I had ear hair.

On that note I have also been bitten by iguanas, spiders, ticks, flies, fire ants, miskitos, snakes, cats, dogs, sisters, girl friends, crabs (ocean kind), fish, birds, turtles, centipedes(japanese mukade!), small children, ferrits, rabbits, hampsters, mice, and a whole host of other animals who I've forgotten over time. I don't see what the big deal is. Things bite.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2007, 09:08 PM

A radioactive spider. You could say it was a blessing in disguise...

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2007, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
you got bit by one? did you get cut, stitches?
No, it didn't even break the skin and it wasn't even full grown.

Did I mention it was in the feeding tank at Sea World Orlando?

Hurt more when I smacked my hand on the side of the concrete tank when I jerked it away than the bite did.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Forum Links
Forum Rules