Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > DP G4 1Ghz Geforce 4 Ti (Help me decide!)

DP G4 1Ghz Geforce 4 Ti (Help me decide!)
Locutus27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2002, 12:36 PM

I ordered the DP G1 Ghz BTO w/Geforce 4 Ti 02/15/02. I have been waiting ever since. Then Apple forced me to cancel my order because I took advantage of the Employee Purchase Program. They said I could downgrade my video card and purchase the GF4Ti at a later date or cancel my order! So I cancelled and received this message below. With the stories about a mythical DDR Memory faster bus G4 coming what would you do? Thanks for all you comments...

To Our Valued Apple Customer:

Thank you for your patience regarding your order for the Power Mac G4 with the nVidia GeForce4 Titanium card. On Monday, we sent you a note about the significant delay on the nVidia GeForce4 Titanium card and asked you to change your order to another graphics card and purchase the Titanium card later,
or cancel your order till the Titanium card is available. We've rethought that decision and want to offer you the following options:

- If you requested we change your order to another graphics card and ship your system, you will receive the Titanium card at no additional charge to you,when it's available.

- If you requested that we cancel your order till the Titanium card is available, we will be glad to reinstate your order with one of the available graphics cards and ship the Titanium at no additional charge to you, when it's available.

Thank you again for your patience.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2002, 01:04 PM

Get your name back on the order list. I know I would.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2002, 01:54 PM

ditto

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2002, 04:30 PM

I'd take the machine, and when the Geforce 4 Ti comes, sell the other video card that you replace with the Geforce 4 Ti. One suggestion, stay away from the Geforce 4 MX.

There's always a mythical newer machine coming. DDR ram has been rumored about for the last year at least. The dual 1GHz is not going to be obsolete when new machines come out this summer (could be late summer).
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

careca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2002, 07:15 PM

A week ago I got the same email. I told them to ship my 933Mhz G4 with the GeForce 4MX and I'll take the Ti later when it's available. Two days ago my order showed "shipped" and I got the computer yesterday morning, 20 hours later. They upgraded shipping from free ground to overnight air at their expense. The fact that you get the lesser card price now and the upgrade free makes it worthwhile!! Take the deal.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2002, 08:27 PM

So if one was to order a Dual GHz now w/ a GF4ti, does this deal apply to new orders as well?
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

msykes
Senior User
Mar 28, 2002, 08:35 PM

I'd take it, sounds like a good deal, you'll get a free GeForce4mx in the deal by the sounds of things.

G4's with faster bus, RAM, etc *might* come out at Macworld NY in July. Heck, G5's *might* too. Then again, they might not... we might see dual 1.2 GHz machines, or no upgrade at all.

raferx
Senior User
Mar 28, 2002, 08:48 PM

Take the order!!! A DP1GHz screams... plus you get a free GFTi!!!
The DP1GHz were supposed to implement DDR, but motherboard problems kiboshed that from happening, don't hold out for DDR, I don't think you'll see it for a year.
Cheers,
raferx

careca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2002, 02:54 AM

Originally posted by Justin W. Williams:
<STRONG>So if one was to order a Dual GHz now w/ a GF4ti, does this deal apply to new orders as well?</STRONG>
Not as far as I can tell.

Locutus27  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2002, 10:42 AM

I went for it! I called the Apple store and asked If I could get the Radeon 7500 instead and get the Geforce Ti later for free! She paused and said I dont think so. I said please just do it. I have heard bad things about the Geforce 4MX. She did it! I do need the new Mac now. Im sure I will be happy with machine. Now I can return the loaner DP G450 a friend loaned me. Its been months since I sold my trusty B/W G3 400. I can always sell it to one of my friends when and if the DDR systems ever comes out...

I did get a smoking deal on this system. : )

Thanks for your responses!

Locutus27

Forum Links
Forum Rules