Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook RAM: brand-name or generic?

iBook RAM: brand-name or generic?
~scott
Sep 18, 2000, 05:33 PM

So I'm getting a new iBook, and I'm looking to add another 128MB of RAM to it. On various websites I've seen prices ranging from $170 to $105. This makes me wonder if there's going to be a problem with super-cheap RAM, or if I'd just be wasting money to buy anything other than the cheapest stuff available. Presumably, everybody's RAM has to function identically, right?

-scott

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2000, 06:36 PM

Nope. RAM performance will vary from one manufacturer to the next, and I've heard that bad RAM can harm your system. Personally, I don't think that you'll notice slight variations in performance with an iBook as much as you would in a high-end system.

I say, try to find the best deal, just prevent getting burned (been there) by making sure whoever you buy from will take the RAM back if it's not right.

Your iBook only has one free slot, so you'll know right away if RAM is bad because it won't boot. If it does boot, and you don't notice any other system problems, then your RAM should be fine.

FYI - I really like www.ramseeker.com for pricing RAM.

~scott
Sep 18, 2000, 07:53 PM

Thanks for your reply. Do you know where I can find more technical info about RAM performance, etc.?

FYI - I really like www.ramseeker.com for pricing RAM.
yep. That's where I found the $105 quote. Looks like I'll be ordering my 'book tomorrow. (And my aging 7600 will get a break!) And of course, it's going to be Key Lime.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2000, 01:41 AM

To some extent, all RAM will offer the same performance. Apple ships 3-2-2 RAM with their machine, and most RAM out there is 2-2-2, so it'll run at the 3-2-2 speed. That's because RAM, like chains, are as fast as the slowest chip. Quality is the issue, here. If you're planning to replace the module included in the machine, get high-quality RAM.

I've had a good experience dealing with Crucial, but I hear that NewerRAM is good. Check Crucial out at www.crucial.com .

Good luck, dude.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2000, 09:03 AM

Sorry to go off topic, but WHY does Apple ship 3-2-2 RAM with their systems? The computer is not cheap, so why put cheap RAM in them? Is the speed difference so little that the price difference makes up for it?

------------------
Why 1984, won't be
like "1984"

sehix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2000, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Sorry to go off topic, but WHY does Apple ship 3-2-2 RAM with their systems? The computer is not cheap, so why put cheap RAM in them? Is the speed difference so little that the price difference makes up for it?
Having just bought two Cubes (not for me...), I can say that both came with 2-2-2 SDRAM.

IIRC, current machines are all comeing with 2-2-2, which used to be more expensive...maybe it isn't any more.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2000, 02:27 AM

It wasn't ever really that much more. Apple was just being cheap, I think.

There's about a five percent speed increase with the faster RAM. That's RAM performance, not overall system performance. The gain is minimal, and unnoticible - unless you're doing heavy CAD work (or something like that).

Misha
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2000, 11:43 PM

My Pismo 400 arrived in Feb. with 3-2-2 RAM. I've had good luck with crucial (www.crucial.com)... never gotten a bad chip, and it's always 2-2-2.

Whatever you do, do not buy from Memory To Go. I was duped into their low prices, only to receive a 3-3-3 (!) module... I'll never buy from them again.

iBookUser
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2000, 01:59 AM

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you find out what speed the RAM is? Any info on this would be appreciated. I am interested to know what speed my RAM is.

Thanks,
Matt

Tim Michael (finboy)
Sep 22, 2000, 04:23 PM

Matt:
There are no dumb questions.

Look in the Apple System Profiler and it will tell you the speed of the RAM. At least it does on my blueberry OS 8.6 REVA ibook. Memory2go, 2-2-2, same chip as in my imac, total of 160M in both.

Forum Links
Forum Rules