Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.6.3

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2010, 01:04 PM

10.6.3 update is out-
Here's link to Combo.
(784MB)

Here's link to incremental.

enjoy

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2010, 01:07 PM

Thanks

DrTacoMD
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2010, 01:35 PM

Installed here. No obvious changes, except that Safari's "Top Sites" seems to finally be glitch free (so far).
Trust me. I'm a Taco.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2010, 02:34 PM

I'm hoping it fixes 10.6.3 Server LDAP corruption and crashing. I'm still stuck on 10.6 Server until I can use 10.6 with Time Machine.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2010, 02:40 PM

I'm hoping it'll fix printing issues with the Color LaserJet 3600 over Broadcom wireless chipsets.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2010, 03:42 PM

I'm hoping it'll fix that no PPC support problem.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2010, 03:56 PM

No issues here, except that it uninstalled the Canon Printer Driver update that I did two days ago. Is it just me or is accessing the iDisk via Finder and apps like iWork a lot faster? That could be because they did heavy maintenance the other day though...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2010, 04:33 PM

Didn't fix the LaserJet 3600 printing problem (which apparently affects the 1022 as well). It's all HP's retarded host based drivers.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Didn't fix the LaserJet 3600 printing problem (which apparently affects the 1022 as well). It's all HP's retarded host based drivers.
I haven't had a decent experience with a HP printer and OS X for the longest time...

P
Mar 29, 2010, 05:08 PM

I'm out of the country at the moment. Can someone please check exactly how large the OpenGL update was? Did it include a GLSL update? Last I saw in the betas, it had all of OpenGL 3.0 except the GLSL update.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2010, 05:22 PM

AFAIK, 10.6.3 breaks SmartScroll. Or, has anyone had different results?
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2010, 08:10 PM

Just updated m 2.5.3 Mini and all went as expected with no problems. Took maybe 20 minutes or less start to finish.

I do wish these updates would not reinstall all the language files that I so painstakingly removed previously.

Forgot to mention I did the Combo Update downloaded from Apple
( Last edited by Douglashh; Mar 29, 2010 at 09:26 PM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2010, 10:36 AM

As usual for my primary machine (Core i7 iMac), I'll wait a while before installing, and will let you guys (and my laptop) be the guinea pigs.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2010, 01:07 PM

10.6.3 breaks Macfusion too, although in the meantime you can mount your SSHfs volumes with the sshfs binary here: MACFUSE_FS_SSHFS - macfuse - The SSH File System for MacFUSE - Project Hosting on Google Code

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2010, 04:13 PM

Funny, the Nighthawks desktop picture is much better now, you can appreciate the different hues and lush colors. See comparison below:

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 30, 2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
10.6.3 breaks Macfusion too, although in the meantime you can mount your SSHfs volumes with the sshfs binary here: MACFUSE_FS_SSHFS - macfuse - The SSH File System for MacFUSE - Project Hosting on Google Code
Grr, best hold off rebooting then.

Edit: Actually I don't really care. It's rare that I write to my Windows 7 partition, I can live without.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2010, 05:06 PM

For those interested in tracking the Macfusion problem:

After Mac OS update 10.6.3, MacFusion broken - MacFusion-devel | Google Groups

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 30, 2010, 05:23 PM

Rebooted, MacFUSE & NTFS-3G still working fine over here

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Rebooted, MacFUSE & NTFS-3G still working fine over here
The problem affects 64 bit SL kernels, I believe. If Macfusion worked out of the box for you without having to delete the nosshdelay.so SSH workaround, I don't think you are affected, and NTFS might be a totally separate animal altogether.

Don't quote me on this, I'm pretty confused on much of this. SSHfs works great when you can get it installed and working as it is supposed to, but right now it's kind of a mess when you factor in the 32/64 bit kernels, the MacFUSE betas designed to work in Snow Leopard, etc.
( Last edited by besson3c; Mar 30, 2010 at 05:44 PM. )

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 30, 2010, 05:39 PM

Yep, you're right.
Booted into 64bit mode, not working.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2010, 05:45 PM

Yep, you're right.
Booted into 64bit mode, not working.

What version of MacFUSE do you have? Perhaps it is worth just booting back into the 32 bit kernel and possibly downgrading if the precompiled sshfs build I'm using gives me troubles...

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 30, 2010, 05:53 PM

2.1.5 Beta

Just wondering, what advantage does booting into 64 bit mode give you?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2010, 10:27 PM

2.1.5 Beta

Just wondering, what advantage does booting into 64 bit mode give you?

None for me personally, although it might a very wee bit if I used VMWare Fusion, I don't know... I was just screwing around one day and booted into 64 bit mode and left it that way.

Still, I'm not able to get Macfusion to work in 32 bit either. You?

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2010, 10:31 PM

According to the developer, an updated SmoothScroll is to be released on 31 March.

That seems like fast support...
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2010, 10:42 PM

What I want to know is whether developers are actually able to test their software with new kernel versions before they are released to the public?

I grow ever-so-tired of the release, break, fix cycle with various shims and OS X add-ons. Either Apple needs to make prereleases freely available if not so already, or else they need to support sanctioned ways to develop kernel extensions, Safari add-ons, and the like that won't constantly break, or else they need to break up some of their fixes into pieces outside of these big point updates so that if we want the fix we can get it without having to update the OS constantly and go through this aforementioned cycle.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2010, 11:03 PM

There have been multiple developer builds since January. As of a few weeks ago, membership is only $99/yr.
Vandelay Industries

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2010, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
There have been multiple developer builds since January. As of a few weeks ago, membership is only $99/yr.
What good is paying $99 so you can access point updates that might change going to do in this case? The kernel development needs to be open so that developers can be in open communication with the developers so that they are aware of what changes are being planned, how to prepare for them, etc. I take back what I said, Apple needs to do more than simply make these pre-releases available. The pre-releases are useful for testing the OS X update itself and helping Apple catch bugs, but not so great for coming up with a strategy to make the appropriate updates to your software and put it on a sustainable path that ensures its long term stability.

Plus, you could also make the argument that $99 for the privilege of developing software for OS X is rather lame.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2010, 02:56 AM

Apple doesn't develop in a very open way. It's not Linux. And Apple certainly isn't going to change that anytime soon.

The solution is to not apply every update as soon as it comes out. While you hold back, developers can update their stuff. You apply the OS update once you know updates for the apps/kexts/etc. you require are available.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2010, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Apple doesn't develop in a very open way. It's not Linux. And Apple certainly isn't going to change that anytime soon.

The solution is to not apply every update as soon as it comes out. While you hold back, developers can update their stuff. You apply the OS update once you know updates for the apps/kexts/etc. you require are available.

That's always the solution no matter what OS you are dealing with, but my point is that if you want certain fixes included in the update you can't just install these, it's all or nothing, and these point updates are usually pretty substantial and therefore require a fair amount of time to test in advance.

Plus, it is not always practical to Google every piece of software you count on to ensure that it works with the point update. I read over the 10.6.3 update description and there was nothing in there (unless I missed it) that suggested a potential problem with Macfusion. The point updates are therefore almost always a gamble to install, you sort of have to cross your fingers and hope for the best (or have a working mirror of your setup in a VM in the case of OS X Server). For OS X Server especially the software update mechanism is frankly completely retarded for a server OS.

What I'm proposing is breaking up the updates into smaller pieces and documenting precisely what they are. If I could have held off on the kernel update I would have, I didn't need that. A lot of intelligence could be built into this system that isn't there right now. For instance, if you enable Apache the updater could offer to update Apache with newer versions, or backports of fixes.

In OSes like Redhat, you don't always get new versions of services, but you get backports of important bug and security fixes. In OS X I have absolutely no idea whether version x of whatever open source component is the stock version or a version with fixes. If I run a web server on OS X Server and use Apple's bundled software I might want to know these things!

Obviously this example is far more server oriented, but Apple could at least dumb this down a great deal and push out various pieces with some sort of weighted importance as these fixes are available, rather than waiting for the next massive point update. Obviously having more patches to install looks bad, and perhaps creates some support issues, but on the other hand it might make support a little easier in some cases. How many times do we see cryptic reports like "OS version 10.x.x broke such and such" and how often do people suggest voodoo like suggestions such as installing combo updates and such? The problem is that people don't really know what they installed. If, on the other hand, a problem happened immediately after a particular update, it should be clearer as to what was installed that caused the problem.

Plus, with the current way there is no way to downgrade. This is also a problem. I don't really know why Apple doesn't provide this option now, but I would assume that there is less that can go wrong rolling back, say, an update to iCal than an update to an entire point update.

I don't mean to blow these problems out of proportion. For the most part the Apple way works great, until it doesn't. I just don't understand why Apple has set the bar so low in their whole software update mechanism. If nothing more, making it a little more intelligent will make OS X Server a better product.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Funny, the Nighthawks desktop picture is much better now, you can appreciate the different hues and lush colors. See comparison below:

The gamma settings have not changed?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2010, 11:05 AM

Gamma value of 2.2 as by default. Prior to Snow Leopard it was 1.8.

Actually, the picture it is quite different from what came with 10.6.0, 10.6.1 or 10.6.2. Which is great cause the older one had an horrid 'inkjet printer from the 90s' quality.

Spot the differences !!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2010, 11:09 AM

I see Apple hasn't lost its attention to detail yet ... it's nicer now, the picture.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2010, 10:56 AM

I know the Combo update has its own web page (and it's in Software Update), but is there a reason the update is NOT listed on the Mac OS X Updates page?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2010, 01:50 PM

Does this update fix the problem where multitouch stops working after every other reboot?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2010, 07:32 PM

What do you mean? I've not heard of this problem.

Cold Warrior
Apr 1, 2010, 08:01 PM

I get that on my 2009 MBP. About every other reboot, the multitouch trackpad won't do anything more than track. No swipe, scroll or right-click.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2010, 08:04 PM

Weird. No problems here on mine, no matter what software.

losta
Apr 1, 2010, 09:12 PM

I have been having serious issues with OS X 10.6.3 on 2 MacBook Pros 13" & 15". I think most are coming from Conflict Notifier but I'm getting constant beach balling and it hangs the whole computer. I had no problems before the update but both have had this issue the past few days since I updated.
Thanks in advance.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2010, 09:29 PM

Try the combo update? Repair disk permissions?

losta
Apr 2, 2010, 08:22 AM

I had run disk maintenance and cleared caches but it didn't really help. I had to manually remove some old duplicate calendar entries from 2003 to have any effect.
Thanks in advance.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2010, 12:48 AM

For those also stuck with the 10.6.3/Macfusion incompatibility problems, you can download the Macfusion 2.0.4 prerelease via the link posted here or my Twitter feed.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2010, 09:14 PM

Unfortunately it doesn't fix the Time Machine problems we're having. Now instead of the server freezing, the clients freeze. Extremely frustrating.

Forum Links
Forum Rules