Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Jesse Ventura Is Awesome

Jesse Ventura Is Awesome
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2011, 12:10 PM

I was watching (more listening to) youtube videos earlier while trying to take POS Samsung laptop to pieces and I stumbled across a bunch of videos featuring Jesse Ventura.

I know who he is, he was a fixture on WWF when I was a kid, and he was in Predator and Running Man. I am also aware that he went into politics as governor of Minnesota and he has an awesome voice. I did not know that he used to be a Navy Seal or that he was so damned sharp.
Having watched him tear strips off Bill O'Reilly and Sarah Palin (I know its not exactly difficult, but its always fun to watch) I was really glad to see him questioning things that others simply refuse to. He is the first person I've seen ask questions about 9/11 without sounding like a conspiracy nut. I don't think I heard him say a single thing on any subject that I could disagree with. What a absolute legend.

You guys could do much worse than elect him as president. You probably will in fact.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2011, 12:38 PM

I like Jesse, always have. He's very libertarian and has a, how do I describe it... "nobility of motive" that I've always admired. I don't agree with him on every subject, but I get the feeling you'd always know where you stand with him.

I'd vote for him over the current crop, without a doubt.
( Last edited by Shaddim; Oct 18, 2011 at 12:48 PM. )
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2011, 01:25 PM

I like it when non-politicians get into office. Whether you agree with them or not, they seem to be more honest about how the feel; and being new to the political scene without a history of their own, they don't seem to pull any punches when confronting other politicians or issues.

I've noticed this with not just Ventura, but also with Governor Schwarzenegger and Senator Al Frankin. Unfortunately, they also tend to make fairly ineffectual politicians because they alienate too many people with their honesty.
( Last edited by olePigeon; Oct 18, 2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Al Frankin, not Lewis Black. Gah!)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Senator Lewis Black
You mean Al Franken? Although Lewis Black as a Senator would be something to see.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
You mean Al Franken? Although Lewis Black as a Senator would be something to see.
God damn it, yeah. I always get them mixed up. I don't know why.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2011, 01:47 PM

Senator Lewis Black... I'd vote for him just to see the what would happen.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Senator Lewis Black... I'd vote for him just to see the what would happen.
That would be the most awesome thing to happen to this country in a long time. Probably why I keep mixing him up with Al Franken. I just want it to be true.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
That would be the most awesome thing to happen to this country in a long time. Probably why I keep mixing him up with Al Franken. I just want it to be true.
"For the first time in history, the terms "d*****bag and "c***sucker" were heard on the Senate floor. The words were used to describe Senators Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell, respectively." - courtesy of CNN Reports
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
how do I describe it... "nobility of motive"
I always thought it was notable that part of his platform was if elected, he would only serve one term, and not waste the peoples' time and money trying to get reelected.
( Last edited by subego; Oct 24, 2011 at 06:02 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
He is the first person I've seen ask questions about 9/11 without sounding like a conspiracy nut. I don't think I heard him say a single thing on any subject that I could disagree with. What a absolute legend.
He's likewise come up with one of the few cogent arguments I've heard against women in combat.

His rationale has nothing to do with womens' ability, and he's quick to point out there are plenty of women who can "carry their side of the log" so to speak.

However, he makes the point that culturally, men are taught they should protect women, and that would be yet another thing which would need to be beaten out of someone to make them a good soldier, just like they have to do so you don't shit yourself when someone tries to light you up with a machine gun.

I'm not sure I agree with his conclusion, but the argument is rock solid. Not to mention he's a SEAL, and I'm just some asshole on the Internet.
( Last edited by subego; Oct 24, 2011 at 06:04 AM. )

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2011, 11:44 AM

He's a nut. He's wacko.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2011, 03:25 PM

Damn straight.

Lewis Black will **** your shit up.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2011, 04:39 PM

Jesse Ventura's a tard. He was a much better WWF commentator than anything else. JMO.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2011, 05:02 PM

C'mon people. Is it that hard to throw in a discussion point or two with your opinion?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
C'mon people. Is it that hard to throw in a discussion point or two with your opinion?
Read my mind.

I remember very little of Ventura's governing days. In fact, all I remember is him reading a passage from Jewel's poetry book on Conan.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2011, 05:16 PM

I only remember he ain't got time to bleed.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2011, 07:21 PM

I saw his conspiracy show a few times. It was insipid tripe.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2011, 08:56 PM

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2011, 09:12 PM

@ mckenna -

Ventura was interesting and at times a contributor of ideas, but to see his name in the same sentence as "awesome" tickled me. The only thing worse than a fear monger is a belligerent one that drums up fear over issues beyond anyone's control.

I think he served a team that would later be absorbed into the Seals. Like 8 years later. He never engaged combat. I appreciate his service don't get me wrong, but for him to go about touting his "Seal" experience and close with their rallying call is a little disingenuous. Makes you wonder what he won't do for relevance.
ebuddy

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2011, 01:44 AM

Is there policy someone has a problem with, or is it just he's responsible for bad television?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2011, 07:43 AM

Is there policy someone has a problem with, or is it just he's responsible for bad television?
Was there some policy offered in the OP that we should be discussing? Why this lopsided criteria for substance all of a sudden?
ebuddy

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 25, 2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Why this lopsided criteria for substance all of a sudden?
Easy there, killer. Can't a third party politely ask for some substance without paying for the sins of the OP?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2011, 08:58 AM

Was there some policy offered in the OP that we should be discussing? Why this lopsided criteria for substance all of a sudden?
Because the path you're walking requires me to have seen his show, which I haven't.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Easy there, killer. Can't a third party politely ask for some substance without paying for the sins of the OP?
Yeah, but what if I thought a couple of substantive points had already been made? What if I'm not the killer, but the victim?
If I were this hungry, I wouldn't be going after subego. I assure you I'm no killer to him.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2011, 07:42 AM

Because the path you're walking requires me to have seen his show, which I haven't.
That's why I asked.

- He's awesome because of some documentaries, his voice, his take on 9/11, and his service in the Seals.
- He's not awesome because of some documentaries, his voice, his take on 9/11, and his non-service in the Seals.

To be honest, I've tried watching his Conspiracy Theory program and couldn't handle more than 10 minutes. He's all over the place and exemplifies the typical conspiracy theorist that appears to buy off on every last one of 'em.

I gave mckenna a thumbsup for the simple fact that, love him or leave him, he's one of the few in this forum who doesn't give a flying rat's ass what anyone, from any side of an argument, thinks of him. It's refreshing. He cracks me up with how brazen he is in his endeavors. I originally posted laughter, but saw that you had beat me in response to him with the sheep pic and my laughter would've been lost in context.
( Last edited by ebuddy; Oct 26, 2011 at 07:51 AM. )
ebuddy

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2011, 08:18 AM

In my defence, I have not seen his conspiracy show. Didn't know he made one, not especially interested in seeing it as I find conspiracies for the most part tiresome. There are only two that I don't tend to utterly dismiss out of hand.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2011, 08:41 AM

That's why I asked.

- He's awesome because of some documentaries, his voice, his take on 9/11, and his service in the Seals.
Ahh. I added serving one term was in his platform (which is genuinely awesome) and I thought his argument against women in combat was solid.

At least more solid than women get cranky during their period.

Either way, here's a good 10 years of his statements on policy. Discuss.

Jesse Ventura on the Issues

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2011, 10:26 AM

Not too much there I'd disagree with. Some stuff I know nothing about, not being american.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2011, 10:51 AM

Me neither. However, there is a fair amount of "I would do what's totally awesome", where I haven't the slightest clue on how he'd back it up.

Overall though I'd say he comes off as in the center WRT economic issues, and pretty hardcore pro-civil liberties, which is what I consider myself.

I look to the board to help correct my confirmation bias.
( Last edited by subego; Oct 26, 2011 at 10:59 AM. )

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2011, 07:40 AM

Me neither. However, there is a fair amount of "I would do what's totally awesome", where I haven't the slightest clue on how he'd back it up.
This was my general take-away and granted, that breakdown is pretty exhaustive using clips of statements made throughout a political career which would make probably anyone appear lacking in substance. For example, Against kicking snow seals.

Overall though I'd say he comes off as in the center WRT economic issues, and pretty hardcore pro-civil liberties, which is what I consider myself.
Overall, his positions are agreeable to me, but then there are little snippets like; "Drug addiction is a health problem, not a crime" and while there are far too many people in prison for weed, drug addiction and crime walk essentially hand-in-hand. It is indeed both. He claims the Drug War is an abject failure, but advocates increase in Federal funding for Drug War. Does not compute. Otherwise, the general take on him was that he was a decent governor and from what I'm reading, the folks of Minnesota are ecstatic about their light-rail transit system which was considered DOA until he backed it. I think on domestic issues he's a good guy and on foreign policy he's less than awesome.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules