Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > tool

tool
madcow
May 7, 2001, 01:03 AM

Does anyone know where I can get the extra long tork 15 driver need for the older all in ones? I have looked all over town and can't find one. I can't seem to find a place online either.

Brent
Moo

Cipher13
May 7, 2001, 05:42 AM

No idea - I improvised and used a component screwdriver with the star socket at the end, plugged into two extenders (not really extenders but they did the purpose - one square extender into the driver, a hex socket on the extender, and the star head into the hex socket), and that worked.

I'm assuming you mean the 5000 model Macs? Even after getting the screws out I couldn't get the front off

Cipher13

------------------
AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

madcow  (op)
May 7, 2001, 01:42 PM

No, I'm trying to get into my SE/30. I used to have this thing from Radio Shack that worked but I lost it and they stoped selling it.

Brent

------------------
Moo
Moo

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2001, 09:44 PM

The front cover on a 5XXX machine comes off really easily. Not even tied down w/ screws. You just have to be VERY careful not to cut yourself. You just pry up the 2 tabs and it comes off...

As to the really old macs like the SE/30...be careful with those when you take them apart. You might need a case cracker too. I've never had to take apart one of those suckers, and never will...

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2001, 12:31 PM

Sears is the place to go in the USA to get that tool. What you want is the "Craftsman Professional T-15". The part number is 47431. It'll be with their black-handled screwdrivers.

etphonehome
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2001, 06:29 PM

I have that same screwdriver. It isn't officialy sold for the purpose of opening Macs, but it's plenty long enough to do the job.
<font color = blue>"Thank god for adequacy.</font> <font color = green>It gives people who </font><font color = red>suck </font><font color = green>something to strive for."</font>

[email protected]

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
May 8, 2001, 07:24 PM

I tried for ages to find one, then gave up.
I got a long crosshead screwdriver (long & thin enough to reach the handle screws) and a regular torx driver (the right size for the screws, but it was way to short for the ones in the handle). I cut the ends off, and had my brother (an expert welder who works in an auto shop) weld the torx end on to what was left of the long croshead. I ground off burs so it was all the same size.
So I now have a decent extra long compact Mac opening driver. Instead of the bit of bent rod Apple sold me. Pro Case opening kit my ASS!

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules