Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS-X slow as snails on BW-G3/400?!

OS-X slow as snails on BW-G3/400?!
NeuWest1
Sep 19, 2000, 12:34 PM

Got my Beta disk last night and after deep sizing my reg. HD and installing OS-X, it ran pretty sluggish on my BW-G3/400.

Is this what is to be expected?
Will a 32Mb PCI video card help (vs my 16MB ATi?).

Also, I hate to say it but, the new interface is kind of a bear to navigate around. Was kinda nice having items on a desktop, now I have to go searching for things.

Thanks!

------------------
-NeuWest
Team John 3:16

morkinator
Sep 19, 2000, 04:23 PM

How much RAM you got? I run DP4 with 128 MB 350 G4 at work, and 192 MB 400 G4 at home, and I think the RAM is the difference maker, as well as having a defragged drive.

Your other problem might be the video card, since the G3's use an older ATI card. The G4 uses the newer 128 pro...

NeuWest1
Sep 19, 2000, 05:00 PM

Mork:

I'm running a super lean (bare essentials) BW-g3/400 with the 16MB PCI video card and 192MB.

Going from 8.6 to 9.0.4 was a big speed bump.

Someone mentioned that even their Beta on their G4/450 was kinda sluggish.

Maybe it's just a beta thing.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2000, 06:23 PM

Ya know, you can put stuff and the desktop by dragging it there, as well as in your HD's root directory (if you're logged in a as root. Nothing will get screwed up). I've heard a lotta people complaining about not being able to organize files or have a desktop...

but that was the answer!

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

Wetsponge
Sep 20, 2000, 10:26 AM

It's a beta, nothing is optimized, explain to me how "slow" it is? what exactly is "slow?" my B&W G3 350 w/ rage 128/16 is running PB like it's a beautiful thing! This interface snafus take a little getting use to, but once I did, I love it! It even run's Baldur's Gate Via Classic with no problem, of course, I can't quit Baldur w/o restarting......

NeuWest1
Sep 20, 2000, 11:25 AM

Gang:

Reinstalled OS904 on my main HD and OS X on an external SCSI-whew! BIG DIFFERENCE in useability!

Makes switching from Os X to Os 9 way easier! And as far a productivity, if I REALLY NEED to go back to 9 for production work and printing, I just restart with the external drive off and the CPU uses OS 9

FREAK: dragged stuff to the desktop...makes alias for me. Works ok, kinda hapazard fix IMHO. But thanks for the tip.

SPONGE: I run my G3/400 and my G4/2x450 really, really lean (no extensions I don't need, etc.) as well as a trackball with settings to near caffeinex10 levels....so as far as speed..

I'm used to windows opening/closing like blinks, faster drag/drop functions, applications open/close fast and the general "feel" of the machine to be streamlined....

Yes Os X is still in beta and once I get this thing onto my dual 450 here at work, I'm sure I'll go WHEEEEEE!

Until then, Os X is a toy on my external drive to experiment with.

Stuff that doesn't work on Os X.....

1. Quicktime-workaround? I restart and go back to OS 9

2. Downloads into a temp folder using Os X explorer. Sometimes the items show up, sometimes they don't.

Thanks for your responses guys!

-NW

sehix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2000, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by morkinator:
How much RAM you got? I run DP4 with 128 MB 350 G4 at work, and 192 MB 400 G4 at home, and I think the RAM is the difference maker, as well as having a defragged drive.

Your other problem might be the video card, since the G3's use an older ATI card. The G4 uses the newer 128 pro...
The B&W G3 he is using has the same graphics card, in PCI-66 rather than AGP...it's not *that* much slower.

I'm running the PB in a G3/400 with 512MB of memory. Runs pretty well, other than refusing to connect through DSL.

wyzeguy
Sep 21, 2000, 10:03 PM

My B&W 400 with 256Mb of ram and the PCI Rage128 runs just peachy...and then some. :-)

------------------
Life is what happens to you when you have something else planned. --Mark Roberts

technohedz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2000, 08:42 AM

Did apple make 2 revisions of the 400MHz B&W? If so which one do you have? I know on my r2 350 OSXPB runs quick enough. Actually DP3 seemed to be a bit faster starter, but this definately isn't a slug

Forum Links
Forum Rules