Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Like FPS games? Seen the Portal demo?

Like FPS games? Seen the Portal demo?
Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2006, 03:50 PM

Portal Demo by Valve, makers of Half-Life.

Fun new trick for FPS games

J

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 03:56 PM

the Team Fortress 2 trailer is equally impressive
we don't have time to stop for gas

hickey
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2006, 03:58 PM

thats so cool. So is this currently in Valve, or will it appear in a future release?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 19, 2006, 04:00 PM

Wow, that is really cool. What platforms is this coming out on?

Is that your only weapon in the game?

"Hello, what have we here?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 04:02 PM

There are similar portals in Prey for the 360 and PC (which just came out).

The above game is coming to PC, 360 and PS3.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2006, 04:04 PM

Way cool. I'm sold.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Jeff Lebowski
Jul 19, 2006, 04:05 PM

Landos- Valve only makes games for PC. Sorry.

I would looove to play that game. It looks so much better than the mindless shooters out today. Valve has redeemed itself as a game developer.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
Landos- Valve only makes games for PC. Sorry.

I would looove to play that game. It looks so much better than the mindless shooters out today. Valve has redeemed itself as a game developer.
Bootcamp..?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2006, 04:09 PM

Seems nobody is sure exactly what it is.

Thank god for Bootcamp if it is only PC.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/718/718911p1.html

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 04:12 PM

Half-Life 2 Confirmed for PS3, X360
Valve's acclaimed shooter comes to the next gen -- with some tasty extras.
by David Adams
July 13, 2006 - While speaking at Electronic Arts' annual summer press event, Valve Software's Gabe Newell announced that Half-Life 2 will definitely arrive for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Better yet, the ports, which are scheduled to ship simultaneously with Half-Life 2: Episode Two for the PC, will include official Half-Life 2 content available at that point, including Episode Two.

While Newell didn't announce every bit of what will be on the disc, the PS3 and X360 versions of Half-Life 2 will include adjunct titles like Half-Life 2: Episode One and the just-reconfirmed Team Fortress 2. Counter-Strike: Source is also a possibility.

Half-Life 2: Episode One and Episode Two are the first chapters of a planned trio of episodic add-ons to the original Half-Life 2, extending the game's story.

Of particular interest is a single-player game called "Portal," which will come bundled with Episode Two. Portal lets players use a special gun to create gateways similar to those used in Prey. A player could create a portal nearby, for instance, and then make a second portal on the other side of a chasm; walking through the first would transport him safely out the second. Unlike Prey, however, it seems players can dynamically create an unlimited number of portals on just about any surface available. The demo on display showed dozens of ways players could exploit this new technology both in terms of offensive and defensive strategies. Valve has yet to announce which games will use the new technology, but players can get taste of it when Episode Two ships.

Stay tuned for more details on how Half-Life 2 will arrive for next-gen consoles as soon as news comes in.

UPDATE: Electronic Arts has clarified that Counter-Strike: Source is not yet confirmed for the PS3 and X360 versions of Half-Life 2.
( Last edited by ort888; Jul 19, 2006 at 05:10 PM. )

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2006, 04:17 PM

I got pray last week. Pretty nifty and not like that doom crap. The puzzles in it are actually original.

Judge_Fire  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2006, 04:31 PM

Hmm, gotta give Prey a try. Haven't really been inspired by any game since Far Cry, even HL2 was a big disappointment. :/

J

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire
Hmm, gotta give Prey a try. Haven't really been inspired by any game since Far Cry, even HL2 was a big disappointment. :/

J
mmm, i liked far cry -- but went off it when all the mutants attacked, sounds silly but i loved fighting the mercs only

Judge_Fire  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Peter
mmm, i liked far cry -- but went off it when all the mutants attacked, sounds silly but i loved fighting the mercs only
True. And it also kinda went from nicely non-linear to more of a rollercoaster ride at that point. And I like my games non-linear.

J

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 05:06 PM

I have Prey from Gamefly, but haven't started it. I enjoyed the Demo though. It looks like just what I was wanting... a fun and somewhat original FPS game.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2006, 05:31 PM

the Team Fortress 2 trailer is equally impressive
Where is this trailer? It's not on Steam or on Valve's website.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 05:38 PM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
Half-Life 2 Confirmed for PS3, X360
Valve's acclaimed shooter comes to the next gen -- with some tasty extras.
by David Adams
July 13, 2006 - While speaking at Electronic Arts' annual summer press event, Valve Software's Gabe Newell announced that Half-Life 2 will definitely arrive for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Better yet, the ports, which are scheduled to ship simultaneously with Half-Life 2: Episode Two for the PC, will include official Half-Life 2 content available at that point, including Episode Two.

While Newell didn't announce every bit of what will be on the disc, the PS3 and X360 versions of Half-Life 2 will include adjunct titles like Half-Life 2: Episode One and the just-reconfirmed Team Fortress 2. Counter-Strike: Source is also a possibility.

Half-Life 2: Episode One and Episode Two are the first chapters of a planned trio of episodic add-ons to the original Half-Life 2, extending the game's story.

Of particular interest is a single-player game called "Portal," which will come bundled with Episode Two. Portal lets players use a special gun to create gateways similar to those used in Prey. A player could create a portal nearby, for instance, and then make a second portal on the other side of a chasm; walking through the first would transport him safely out the second. Unlike Prey, however, it seems players can dynamically create an unlimited number of portals on just about any surface available. The demo on display showed dozens of ways players could exploit this new technology both in terms of offensive and defensive strategies. Valve has yet to announce which games will use the new technology, but players can get taste of it when Episode Two ships.

Stay tuned for more details on how Half-Life 2 will arrive for next-gen consoles as soon as news comes in.

UPDATE: Electronic Arts has clarified that Counter-Strike: Source is not yet confirmed for the PS3 and X360 versions of Half-Life 2.
Best news I've heard in a while, Microsoft just sold an xBox 360.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2006, 05:44 PM

That is a cool looking game. If you like the idea of Portal, and have access to a PC or Bootcamp for games, then Narbacular Drop is a free game that the developers did first, and got Valve interested in them (Valve hired the same developers to make a version of the game with the Half Life game engine).

I've watched my brother play this, and it does your head in!!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ink
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2006, 05:45 PM

Speaking of FPS; I was at a LAN party last Friday with about 20 computers there. I only had my 12" Powerbook on me, but they were playing an open source game called "Tremulous". I downloaded the Mac version and joined in; it's a blast (and free!):

http://tremulous.net/ [windows or linux]
http://tremulous.tjw.org/ [osx]

Apparently, it uses the Quake III engine. After about 8 hours, my poor powerbook was hot hot hot.

Jeff Lebowski
Jul 19, 2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by ink
Speaking of FPS; I was at a LAN party last Friday with about 20 computers there. I only had my 12" Powerbook on me, but they were playing an open source game called "Tremulous". I downloaded the Mac version and joined in; it's a blast (and free!):

http://tremulous.net/ [windows or linux]
http://tremulous.tjw.org/ [osx]

Apparently, it uses the Quake III engine. After about 8 hours, my poor powerbook was hot hot hot.
That looks pretty nice. I'll have to bring it up with my other fellow lanners. We always love a good free FPS game. Thank you.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2006, 06:33 PM

Looks like the years of waiting will finally pay off. Thanks!

All glory to the hypnotoad.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2006, 12:28 AM

Damn... now I want to go out and buy a Macbook Pro....

Curse you apple! Not being able to play games was one of the best features of owning a Mac...

Portal.... mmm....

Quake4SMP
Baninated
Jul 20, 2006, 09:35 AM

Valve? F them. They'll probably port it like 90% of the way to mac and hten kill it. Bastards.

Jeff Lebowski
Jul 20, 2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Quake4SMP
Valve? F them. They'll probably port it like 90% of the way to mac and hten kill it. Bastards.
No, Valve doesn't do Mac games. They have no plans to port any of their games to Mac. They're pc people.

Quake4SMP
Baninated
Jul 20, 2006, 12:14 PM

Jeff, they finished porting half life to the mac. It was almost done, and they were working on networking issues with the PC. Then they decided not to do it.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2006, 12:29 PM

What have they done for Macs since?

Quake4SMP
Baninated
Jul 20, 2006, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
What have they done for Macs since?
Exactly my point. Everyone is talking about this game like it's coming to the mac. They will NEVER EVER port ANYTHING to the mac. Their best game was almost ported to a mac, then they killed it just because they hate macs.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2006, 01:45 PM

Valve? F them. They'll probably port it like 90% of the way to mac and hten kill it. Bastards..
They will NEVER EVER port ANYTHING to the mac.

ink
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
That looks pretty nice. I'll have to bring it up with my other fellow lanners. We always love a good free FPS game. Thank you.
It's a cross between an RTS and an FPS. They concentrate on balancing the gameplay so that everything is fair. It's a lot like Starcraft melded with Unreal Tournament. When you get 8-10 players on each team, it becomes very fun -- but it's still a good row with just 4 players.

That, and it's VERY easy to setup for a LAN party because you don't have to worry about Steam, licenses, alcohol (well, unless it's the liquid kind...) and all that crap.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2006, 04:02 PM

Exactly my point. Everyone is talking about this game like it's coming to the mac. They will NEVER EVER port ANYTHING to the mac. Their best game was almost ported to a mac, then they killed it just because they hate macs.
With bootcamp that isn't much of a problem anymore.

Plus, I was just excited about HL2, Ep One, and Ep Two being released for 360.

Quake4SMP
Baninated
Jul 20, 2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
What's hard to understand? There was a time they were going to bring HL to the mac. They got ALMOST DONE WITH IT, then killed it. Ever since, they have publicly hated macs, and refused third party companies from porting their stuff to macs.

Hence, they have never ported anything for the mac. Porting one game 90% of the way then deleting it doesn't really count, does it?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2006, 04:25 PM

That's nothing compared to what happened to Bungie right before they were going to release Halo 1 for Mac only.

Oh well, I'd say deal with it.....cuz HL2 is a pretty damn sweet game, and Portal looks awesome too.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2006, 04:34 PM

What's hard to understand? There was a time they were going to bring HL to the mac. They got ALMOST DONE WITH IT, then killed it. Ever since, they have publicly hated macs, and refused third party companies from porting their stuff to macs.

Hence, they have never ported anything for the mac. Porting one game 90% of the way then deleting it doesn't really count, does it?
I know what you meant, I existed when they cut off half life. I was pointing out the fact that you said they they'd start development on it, then you said they'd never ever make a Mac game. Moot point with bootcamp though.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2006, 04:47 PM

What's hard to understand?
He's a bit slow with these things. He specializes in playing mod and backing up others when they try to make another member look bad (and usually fail).

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
He's a bit slow with these things. He specializes in playing mod and backing up others when they try to make another member look bad (and usually fail).
FYI other people do it too, not just me. And at least I don't mock countries whose laws I don't understand.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2006, 09:26 PM

Valve = Everything except Macintosh. I think John Carmack's soul infested Gabe Newell sometime in the 1990s. Before, Carmack said he hated Macs with a passion, now he makes games for them. Gabe hasn't changed a bit.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules