Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Enlarging a HFS+ partition?

Enlarging a HFS+ partition?
pcfe
Mar 16, 2000, 06:17 AM

Hello,

I have a 1 Gigabyte LinuxPPC partition on my HD, along with a HFS+ partition. Because space is running low on the HFS+ partition, I need to reclaim the Gig from LinuxPPC.

Question is, will a HFS+ volume still work if I enlarge the size of the partition? (i.e. I'd like to delete the LinuxPPC partition and change the the size of the HFS+ partition.)

Has anybody done this, or lost his HFS+ partition's contents while trying to do so?

RU

PCFE

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2000, 10:47 AM

you can't enlarge an existing partition. you will need to reformat the HD to change partition sizes

Seagull
Mar 16, 2000, 08:01 PM

I don't know about other software, but I recently used FWB Hard Disk Toolkit 3 to modify partitions on a disk. With HDT 3, you can delete and create partitions on a drive without having to re-initialize the whole drive. You can also enlarge existing HFS partitions, not HFS+.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2000, 08:35 PM

well there ya go, i've never used third-party HD formatters...

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2000, 11:42 PM

Backup, backup, backup!!!!!

Altering any part of the format of a drive can cause problems. Backup before doing this.

drewman

pcfe
Mar 17, 2000, 05:23 AM

Hello,

does anybody know why HDT can enlarge a HFS and not a HFS+ partition?

Is there another difference between HFS and HFS+ besides the maximum number of allocation blocks?

The tool per se is no problem as I'll modify the partition table with LinuxPPC.

dmessing
Mar 17, 2000, 12:20 PM

Sort of off topic, but does linux need HFS to work, or will HFS+ work too?

bangeman
Mar 17, 2000, 12:30 PM

It doesn't matter whether your disk is HFS or HFS+ for LinuxPPC. When you install it, it reformats the partitions for its own use. A/UX or UFS if I remember correctly.

Indy
Mar 17, 2000, 12:54 PM

For the slightly more advanced, I use Silverlining to resize all of my partitions.

Though I am not sure if it will work with HFS+ as I was using only HFS.

However, always back up your data first as resizing partitions can cause MAJOR problems!

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2000, 06:43 AM

I bet you can't resize HFS+ partitions because they are actualy a file inside of an HFS wrapper.

If you boot up to a system that doesn't support HFS+ then you get a HFS volume that explains that the file you see is the actual HFS+ partition.

So while the program could increase the size of the HFS wrapper, making a file on it larger without messing with its contents could be much trickier....

drewman

Raven
Mar 22, 2000, 10:09 AM

I have a 4 gig Hard Drive and have it broken up into 3 parts.
My main MacOS partition is HFS+, and about 2.8 gigs.
In the last couple of months, I have used pdisk (a freeware Mac application) to change the type/number of/sizes of the remaining space. From a partion(s) usable for LinuxPPC back to HSF(+).
Drewman is right you should always backup your data before doing this. But, in all the times I've fooled with that extra space, I've had zero problems w/data loss ect.
Instead of trying to enlarge your primary MacOS partition, why not just change the type of your Linux partition to HSF?

FYI: When you use the "Erase Disk" function under the Special menu on other Mac partitions, you will be given the option of reformatting as a HFS or HSF+.

Raven
Mar 22, 2000, 10:16 AM

All the installs I've done of LinuxPPC have been Hard Drive installs. I'm not sure about the new release (LinuxPPC 2000), but with '99 you could only do a Hard Drive installation from an HFS partition. Also, files to be exchanged from Linux-Mac, or Mac-Linux needed to reside on a HSF partition. Again, I'm not sure about the new release.

pcfe
Mar 22, 2000, 11:26 AM

Speaking of pdisk, where can I get pdisk?

Raven
Mar 22, 2000, 12:03 PM

I'm pretty sure I got it with one of the distributions of Linux I've installed. I would try version tracker, download.com, or one of the various Linux sites.
This isn't real user friendly software, but heck if I can figure it out.....
If you are having problems, dl the LinuxPPC install pdf. It covers using pdisk in the Linux installer, and the steps and commands are the same as the Mac version.
***I don't know any of your user levels....so please be careful when messing w/this stuff. I never had any problems, but.....A HD back up is never a bad idea***

Justin

Seagull
Mar 22, 2000, 12:21 PM

I know that backup is the wise way to go. But I found FWB HDT 3 to be quite safe. If pcfe use HDT 3 to delete the Linux partition, I think that will not do any harm to the HFS+ partition. In the case that pcfe does not have any backup devices, what pcfe could then do after deleting the Linux partition is to create 500MB or so HFS partition that could hold all the files from the HFS+ partition and restart the Mac from this new partition.

The use HDT 3 again, delete the HFS+ partition and create a new HFS+ partition using all the available space on the hard disk. So the result is that pcfe will have two partions on the disk, one 500MB or so HFS partition that could store some files and one HFS+ partition that could be use as the main partition.

[This message has been edited by Seagull (edited 03-22-2000).]

Seagull
Mar 22, 2000, 12:42 PM

By the way, you can get pdisk at http://ftp.linuxppc.org/ftp/install/...tils/pdisk.sit The size 55K. It is not easy to use, as someone said.

pcfe
Mar 23, 2000, 04:44 AM

Thanks for the URL.

I do have a daily backup (losing a 40MB HD was a lesson 7 years ago)

I know how to convert the format of the partition from Linux to HFS+, but enlarging my main partition would be nicer. Alsa that won't work as pointed out in another post.

Thanks for all the help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules