Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Missing the color red

Missing the color red
forfeng
Mar 17, 2000, 05:33 PM

I seem to be missing the color red in all my applications, desktop etc. Its not a software problem evidently, just want to know if this is the first sign of my monitor frying itself. Thanks.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2000, 06:58 PM

No, it is most likely that your monitor cable is not plugged correctly (pushed all the way in) on either end, or that your monitor cable has a broken wire inside.

If you have already checked for that, then I wouldn't why your monitor behaves like that.

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2000, 07:14 PM

What kind of monitor do you have? Older Macintosh 15" AV Multisynch monitors had a problem with the red gun... over time the color red failed on them. I had two such monitors "die" on me.

Chris

DewD
Mar 24, 2000, 01:02 PM

If your Monitor is an Apple-branded MultiSync monitor , either 14-15 -or 17-inch size, made about 1996-97 , this was a manufacturing defect. A wire came unsoldered inside the monitor case which disabled the Red electron beam gun....the Green and Blue guns continue to work. Sometimes this was intermittent, but usually became a total failure .
Apple will replace your monitor for free, if you are the original owner, but you have to take it to an authorized repair outlet ( or at least I did...who knows these days ?)
BTW---the monitor I recieved for replacement had its own screwy defect...the image is slightly "tilted"..it's a quarter inch lower on the right side than the left. This was due to a screw coming loose inside that supported the cathode ray tube on one side.
Oh well.....

Forum Links
Forum Rules