Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB 17" or 15" I need some help

PB 17" or 15" I need some help
guigo
Nov 17, 2003, 02:20 PM

Hi folks

I'm going to buy a Apple PB. I ordered a 1.25 15" but with all the problems, I'm thinking about change my order to a 1.33 17"

I have to say I will use this most at home. Sincerely, my ex-PB ti 667 go out my room three or four times in a year.

the difference is $ 400, as you must know.

I wanna heard from the owners, please, if someone could help me.

thanks a lot

best regards

Guilherme

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2003, 02:42 PM

Guilherme --

I've got both the new 17" AlBook and the new 15" AlBook... I couldn't be happier with the 17"... The 15" has been back to Apple several times for screen problems.

YMMV.

PHYMAC
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2003, 02:47 PM

I've had the 17" for 6 months, and it has been completely trouble free. I use it everday, took it to europe and other trips, and actually take it to and from school and use it in classroom, and don't think that it is too big. If you are using it basically only at home, go with the bigger monitor, and it will probably be more reliable, at least initally.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2003, 03:28 PM

i believe Beyonce said it best:

"...my 17's bootylicious for ya babe"

nagromme
Senior User
Nov 17, 2003, 05:34 PM

If you like the 15", problems are the minority, and are covered by warranrty if you get unlucky.

But if the 17" is worth the $400 to you, go for it!

I almost got the 17", but I liked the 15" so much in the store that I changed my mind. I'll save the $400 towards a future PowerBook!

The 15" was noticeably lighter and more portable, but I don't think you'll care about that. The 17" is still highly portable.

The 17" supposedly has better speakers--I couldn't test--but did seem to have a SLIGHTLY dimmer screen. I think it has better battery life than the 15".

I did like how ultra-THIN the 17" seemed, compared to the 15". It's only .1" different, but it was very striking.

Note that the 15" is really 15.2", and that it has a higher DPI than the 17". So the increase in pixel space isn't as huge as you'd think, going to the 17". Nice, but not $400 nice, for me.

The 17" being a more proven model is a good thing. If it was only $200 I might have gotten it. As it is, I'm eagerly awaiting a 15" 1.25 on backorder. Most people have no problems, but I'll test it thoroughly before putting too much stuff on it, just in case.
nagromme

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2003, 08:05 PM

I have a 15'' 1 Ghz and no problems so far, I've had it for about a month and it runs like a dream, no white spots, no latch problems, no creaking. I would recommend it over the 17. The 17 is a fine machine, it is just way too big to be considered a laptop.

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2003, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by anaphora68:
I have a 15'' 1 Ghz and no problems so far, I've had it for about a month and it runs like a dream, no white spots, no latch problems, no creaking. I would recommend it over the 17. The 17 is a fine machine, it is just way too big to be considered a laptop.
I also have a 1GHz/1GB TiBook... It is a nice machine and doesn't suffer from the problems of the current crop of 15" AlBooks... It does have its own set of problems (screen hinges, paint chipping, SuperDrive alignment, and minimal clearance between keyboard and LCD screen) and is limited to 1GB of RAM.

IMHO, all of them are nice machines.

From the three machines (17" 2nd Gen. AlBook, 15" 2nd Gen. AlBook, 15" TiBook), I'd pick the 17"...

YMMV.

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2003, 09:13 PM

I would agree with the assessment that the 17"ers are exceptional laptops. I have had zero complaints and no problems in the six months I've had this beauty. It is not too big to be considered a laptop. I really don't understand the thinking behind those who think that it is, except that it is, of course, larger than the 15". I take it everywhere with me...and I mean everywhere...flying, in the car, to the coffee shop, to all of my clients offices, on trips, to the beach, to the mountains, not once have I had to say, "darn, this thing is just too big to be a laptop." Now, if you live in a tiny studio apartment with one room, drive a mini and fly only in small puddle-jumper planes, you might consider a 15"er. But to say it's not a laptop because it's bigger than a 15" laptop is either an error in thinking or a lack of using the machine. The $400 difference is worth it.

Now, the 17" toshiba PC laptop? That thing weighs a ton, is bulky and not very elegantly designed.

http://www.macnn.com/news/19990
http://www.forbes.com/2003/07/01/cx_ah_0701tentech.html

So, for those who want to lock it in their heads that the "thing is just too big", let them think that and miss out on owning one of the finest computers ever made, it's no skin off my nose.
( Last edited by wanderlust; Nov 19, 2003 at 06:26 AM. )

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2003, 12:07 AM

I wasn't saying that it was too big, just too big for many people's needs in my opinion. And I don't care what anyone says, the desk footprint is too big and there is way too much space between the edge of the machine and the keyboard. Yes, it is a nice laptop and a fine piece of engineering, and it may be worth the 400 dollar price difference for some people.

Hell, it's an apple, it has to be good.

beachmark
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 12:23 AM

Absolutely the 17inch.

I use to have a 15inch but switched earlier this year to a 17inch one. Not one second I have regretted this move. If you do nto needthe extra .33mhz I would go for an 'older' 1 gig 17inch. You can pick these for less than a 15inch and that little bit of speed difference you won't notice in general. Maybe when you are editing movies and such all day there is a point for the 1.33 17 but otherwise go for the 1.0 17inch.

One thing I advise you and that is to buy a good bag. Tom Bihn ID's are very good and can stand a drop or fall and are nowadays available in trendy colors.

I got an Incase one but that one is nearly not as good as TB.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2003, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by anaphora68:
I wasn't saying that it was too big, just too big for many people's needs in my opinion. And I don't care what anyone says, the desk footprint is too big and there is way too much space between the edge of the machine and the keyboard. Yes, it is a nice laptop and a fine piece of engineering, and it may be worth the 400 dollar price difference for some people.

Hell, it's an apple, it has to be good.
The space between the keyboard and the edge on the 17" is the almost the same on the 15". The 17" is just wider.

wanderlust's post summed up my thoughts nicely.
( Last edited by RayX; Nov 18, 2003 at 07:17 AM. )

nagromme
Senior User
Nov 18, 2003, 05:00 AM

Two minor comments:

* The new 1.33 Ghz 17" is significantly faster than the old 1 Ghz. Two main reasons: a new generation of G4 (with more L2 cache), and a new GPU. The results at barefeats.com show the new AlBooks consistently faster than the old ones, by more than just the 330 Mhz. In fact, even the new 1 Ghz 15" is faster than the old 1 Ghz 17".

* The space in front of the keys IS greater on the 17". (Good for use on a lap, I'm sure--maybe not as good on a desk.) The 17" is deeper front to back.
nagromme

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2003, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by nagromme:

* The space in front of the keys IS greater on the 17". (Good for use on a lap, I'm sure--maybe not as good on a desk.) The 17" is deeper front to back.
The difference is 1.8cm, not exactly significant.

I don't know where some of you pull your comments from - the 17" is fine on a desk.

jendmb34
Nov 18, 2003, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by beachmark:

One thing I advise you and that is to buy a good bag. Tom Bihn ID's are very good and can stand a drop or fall and are nowadays available in trendy colors.

I got an Incase one but that one is nearly not as good as TB.
Did you have a Tom Bihn ID? Did you buy the Brain Cell as well? Could you fit all of your accessories in the bag? Any comments would be appreciated

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2003, 08:21 AM

Rayx, I pull my comments from the fact that I work IT at my school, and I have worked with both machines SIDE by SIDE on multiple occasions for several hours at a time.

It's all relative anyway.

beachmark
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2003, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by jendmb34:
Did you have a Tom Bihn ID? Did you buy the Brain Cell as well? Could you fit all of your accessories in the bag? Any comments would be appreciated
I had a Brain Cell in an ID and should have stated that a Brain Cell is essential (in my humble opinion).

Sorry for the mishap.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

nagromme
Senior User
Nov 20, 2003, 03:40 AM

My comment comes from liking my keyboard close to the front of my desk. The 17" would require me to reach further back than I'd wish--except when in my lap, when I'd appreciate the extra distance.

It's not a huge factor, but it's true.
nagromme

M.A.S.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2003, 09:12 AM

i've had my 17" since July and i haven't had any problems what so ever.

I was waiting for the Al 15" but needed a mac so i plumped for the 17", now i couldn't imagine having anything else, it is fantastic, the screen size is great, the placement of the keyboard has never given me a problem either.

Yeah it is bigger than the rest (my friend has the 12", and it is almost the size of two 12"!) but for me the size is so worth it for the screen size.

If the money aint a problem for you go for the 17" you wont regret it!

guigo  (op)
Nov 21, 2003, 09:44 AM

thanks for all who could help....
I'm going to buy a 17" 1.33 with 1GB ram....
I think that will be a happy marriage...
regards
Guilherme
Brazil

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2003, 12:21 PM

If that 400 dollars seems to be weighing you down, I'd definitely spring for the 17. It sounds like the computer that would best suit your needs. I've got the Rev. A and love it. I don't need to take it out often as my school has a plethora of computers on campus, but I know that if I have to, it's not a problem. Pop it in my case and I'm off. Pretty nice.

Originally posted by nagromme:
I did like how ultra-THIN the 17" seemed, compared to the 15". It's only .1" different, but it was very striking.
I know exactly what you mean! I didn't think that .1 or .2 of an inch would make that much of a difference, but we just got a 15" at work and I can't get over how much fatter it looks than my 17". The sleek profile of my 17" never ceases to amaze me.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

Forum Links
Forum Rules