Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > how do you change the search address in systems preferences?

how do you change the search address in systems preferences?
austeros
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 05:10 PM

defaults to www.excite.com/apple and i want to change it to google... but i cant seem to find a place where to do so.

quite annoying, but it has to be there somewhere.

tia

There's someone in my head but its not me...

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by austeros:
defaults to www.excite.com/apple and i want to change it to google... but i cant seem to find a place where to do so.

quite annoying, but it has to be there somewhere.

tia
I have no clue what you mean. I guess you talk about a web browser?

Brass
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 07:42 PM

It depends on what application you're using. Check your application's preferences for applications settings, not system preferences.

austeros  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by Brass:
It depends on what application you're using. Check your application's preferences for applications settings, not system preferences.
yeah, i know i can do it for the independant applications, thats not what i was asking. camino for example (in its preferences under the navigation tab) can set use system preferences to set homepage and search page. if you open system preferences, you can infact change the homepage but its the search page i cant find.

this isnt anything new, this could be done in os9, i just cant find the system wide search setting. any ideas where i change this?

There's someone in my head but its not me...

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 08:37 PM

yeah, i know i can do it for the independant applications, thats not what i was asking. camino for example (in its preferences under the navigation tab) can set use system preferences to set homepage and search page. if you open system preferences, you can infact change the homepage but its the search page i cant find.

this isnt anything new, this could be done in os9, i just cant find the system wide search setting. any ideas where i change this?
You can't. There's no System Preferences option for setting a search page.

jszrules
Senior User
Jun 19, 2003, 08:58 PM

camino for example (in its preferences under the navigation tab) can set use system preferences to set homepage and search page.
i only see this option for setting the homepage. the Navigation window in Camino's Preferences has a tab for Home Page where you can "change your system preferred home page in Internet Preferences" but it says nothing about a search page.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by msuper69:
You can't. There's no System Preferences option for setting a search page.
That's why I stated that I don't understand the question: there is not such a thing in System Preferences.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 06:17 AM

austeros: are you using Internet Explorer? I think that is the only program that actually uses this setting. If you are, I highly recommend you trying out Safari, Camino or OmniWeb as your web browser. They are all much much better

Forum Links
Forum Rules