Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > why cant apple ever pre-empt the other companies

why cant apple ever pre-empt the other companies
austeros
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 01:09 AM

take the napster beta coming out on the 9th. if itunes is ready to go for pc (as some rumors state) why the hell not launch it on the 8th to steal some of napster's thunder? apple needs to get more agressive while it still has some advantages in the market (the ipod).

yeah, its only rumors... but i cant remember the last time apple ever made a move like this to pre-empt an annoucement by anyone. maybe im forgetting something, nevertheless it would still be a good idea

There's someone in my head but its not me...

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 02:34 AM

Hate to say it, but I think you may be forgetting everything!

Apple creates and the others follow...

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by austeros:
take the napster beta coming out on the 9th. if itunes is ready to go for pc (as some rumors state) why the hell not launch it on the 8th to steal some of napster's thunder? apple needs to get more agressive while it still has some advantages in the market (the ipod).
Perhaps the software isn't ready and they don't want it to come out with lots of press, everyone downloads it and then it sucks large.

They are still trying to live down that ONE powerbook that caught on fire because of sony batteries.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Perhaps the software isn't ready and they don't want it to come out with lots of press, everyone downloads it and then it sucks large.

They are still trying to live down that ONE powerbook that caught on fire because of sony batteries.
really ? a PB cought on fire ? i missed that .. anyone got a link about that story ? pics ? whatever?

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 08:28 AM

There were two that caught fire.

Star Wars Guy is referring to the PowerBook 5300, which was so bad that it had to be recalled twice.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2003, 09:24 AM

Shigeru Miyamoto put it best, I think. "A delayed game will eventually be a good game. But a bad game is bad forever."

The same is true for software. Apple could theoretically rush iTMS/Windows and release it the day before. If they were to do so, it would probably suck because of all the bugs. Recall, if you will, that this is exactly what happened OSX 10.0.

Besides, Apple pre-empted everyone with the original release of iTMS.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Shigeru Miyamoto put it best, I think. "A delayed game will eventually be a good game. But a bad game is bad forever."
But Devil May Cry 2 was delayed and bad.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2003, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
But Devil May Cry 2 was delayed and bad.
The key word is eventually. Sounds like they didn't delay that one long enough.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

willed
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by austeros:

yeah, its only rumors... but i cant remember the last time apple ever made a move like this to pre-empt an annoucement by anyone. maybe im forgetting something, nevertheless it would still be a good idea
err... they pre-empted them by announcing iTMS Windows six months ago. Is that not enough? It's obviously not shipping yet as it isn't ready.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2003, 04:39 PM

There is so much hype over iTMS already that they can burn another two to six months and still have people jump on board.

I also think that they should offer a way for people to go to the apple store and buy $10, $20, $30 etc. worth of music on a card of some sort...

Some people hate having to buy stuff with a CC over the internet. I'm one of them.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2003, 05:59 PM

I don't think Apple follows the whole Microsoft QA of release first, fix everything when it's convenient.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules