Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Samsung ML-1710 and 10.3.9 - CUPS?

Samsung ML-1710 and 10.3.9 - CUPS?
austeros
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 06:03 PM

Alright, so I am trying to hook up my old rev. b. imac to my samsung ml-1710 laser printer. the drivers are soo bad, i think they even took them off the web. Is it possible to use CUPS with this printer and make it acutally useful?

its not a bad printer, the mac drivers just suck. with my windows notebook the thing flies. i would just settle for a workable solution.

I've seen this page Mac OSX Printing at Linux Printing but it doesn't support my printer. I did find a PPD file for the 1710 on that site, but is it possible to get it to work since it is not included in the package?

TIA

There's someone in my head but its not me...

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2005, 03:16 AM

I also have the same problem with the same printer. Hope somebody knows an answer.
Blackbook 2.4ghz/250gb/2gb

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2005, 10:04 AM

I have the same printer, and it was a beast to get installed pre-Tiger.

I wish I could remember a specific set of steps I followed, but it was literally "try this, now try that" and after one reboot the ML-1710 suddenly showed up as the default printer.

austeros  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2005, 10:45 PM

so does that mean it works by default in tiger?

There's someone in my head but its not me...

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2005, 02:26 AM

Blackbook 2.4ghz/250gb/2gb

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 25, 2005, 08:25 AM

On a related note, is there a way to use Samsung's Linux (PPC) drivers under OS X? I've been running my ML-1430 using the old ML-1220 drivers from CUPS, and while it "works," it doesn't give me the options it should because it doesn't really support my printer. Now Samsung has a Linux driver package (8+ MB of it!) that includes files specific to the ML-1430. But I don't know which files CUPS wants to use to properly set up the printer. Any illumination would be extremely helpful.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules