Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > opinions about the Palm TX

opinions about the Palm TX
austeros
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 09:08 PM

Alright, so I am looking at buying a wifi PDA because I can't justify the $100/month charges that come with a treo. does anyone here have a palm tx? if so, how do you like it? any regrets?

its either this or an axiom, and i really dont want another device that runs windows poorly. TIA

There's someone in my head but its not me...

ghporter
Administrator
May 28, 2006, 10:05 PM

I'm pleased with my Axim X5 (which says how old it is). I do NOT use it as a "Windows computer in my hand." I use it as a PDA with some pretty useful apps. I even use it for some surfing with a wireless network card, but only for simple sites (like some at school) for simple stuff.

Now for the Palm TX. As a PDA it should be very workable. Windows Mobile is far better than PocketPC 2002, which my Axim runs, and the apps for it are better too. The screen is big and bright and clear, and the thing looks like it's FAST.

I don't like the idea of the Treo as either a phone or a PDA. All the similar devices I've seen so far are bad compromises between the two and clumsy to use to boot.

Just me, but that's my opinion.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 09:48 AM

Glenn, you know the T|X runs PalmOS 5.something, right? The Treo 700w is Palm's only WinMo device right now.

ghporter
Administrator
May 29, 2006, 11:41 AM

Oops! I looked at Palm's site and they mentioned so many MS applications for the TX that it sure looked like a WinMo box! Big goof on my part-sorry. I don't know anything about Palm OS 5; my last brush with Palm was on a Handspring-that cannot be upgraded to any OS above the 2.something it came with...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

austeros  (op)
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I'm pleased with my Axim X5 (which says how old it is). I do NOT use it as a "Windows computer in my hand." I use it as a PDA with some pretty useful apps. I even use it for some surfing with a wireless network card, but only for simple sites (like some at school) for simple stuff.

Now for the Palm TX. As a PDA it should be very workable. Windows Mobile is far better than PocketPC 2002, which my Axim runs, and the apps for it are better too. The screen is big and bright and clear, and the thing looks like it's FAST.

I don't like the idea of the Treo as either a phone or a PDA. All the similar devices I've seen so far are bad compromises between the two and clumsy to use to boot.

Just me, but that's my opinion.
ill take that as a thumbs up, thanks. anyone actually have one of these?

There's someone in my head but its not me...

mishakim
Forum Regular
May 30, 2006, 10:13 PM

I have one, and love it. It replaced a Palm V I'd had since they came out in '99, so I'm not exactly comparing it to anything recent. I use the WiFi to surf when killing time, and the bluetooth to sync with both my PC at work and Mac at home, with no problems. It came with documents to go, which lets you read Office docs, and at least for Word, that works fine. I haven't used it with Excel or PowerPoint.

I especially like the fact that it can drop the input pad and use the full screen, portrait or widescreen, though most apps don't use the extra space yet.

It even plays video podcasts (e.g., rocketboom) well, though it does some time-intensive reformatting (on the mac) before loading them to the Palm.

nedcook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2006, 09:19 AM

Mishakim,

Can you explain the process of how to get video podcasts on to the Palm TX? I want to watch Photoshop TV on mine.

Thanks,

Edward

Originally Posted by mishakim
I have one, and love it. It replaced a Palm V I'd had since they came out in '99, so I'm not exactly comparing it to anything recent. I use the WiFi to surf when killing time, and the bluetooth to sync with both my PC at work and Mac at home, with no problems. It came with documents to go, which lets you read Office docs, and at least for Word, that works fine. I haven't used it with Excel or PowerPoint.

I especially like the fact that it can drop the input pad and use the full screen, portrait or widescreen, though most apps don't use the extra space yet.

It even plays video podcasts (e.g., rocketboom) well, though it does some time-intensive reformatting (on the mac) before loading them to the Palm.
Edward Cook
[email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules