Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > any reccomendations of cars with insane amounts of leg room

any reccomendations of cars with insane amounts of leg room
austeros
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 09:20 PM

that are still priced around $15k?

my damn car is done. time to get a new one. but being 6'10" makes this hard. if anyone has one thats got alot of leg/head room, please tell me what it is

There's someone in my head but its not me...

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2003, 10:06 PM

Consumer Reports says the VW Bug is the best car "for large people"
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2003, 10:12 PM

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2003, 03:10 AM

american cars are made for bigger people... because us americans are fat slobs.... not that you are a fat slob.... just saying... when we had a choice of smilies... we should have kept the one where he was digging a hole... because i could have used it just then.... I hate american cars BTW...

P.D.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2003, 03:13 AM

If you don't mind buying used, find yourself an old Mercedes 500 SEL. Built like a tank, safe as hell, and so much leg room you won't know what to do with it all.

I'm not sure about the later 500 series Mercedes, but it's worth a look too.

Also, look into a Lincoln Town Car.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2003, 03:17 AM

Uhh how bout a Miata?

hahaha

Dude I feel your pain although not near as bad... I know two people who're six 9 and while I really wish I didn't have to look up when I talked to them, I really am glad that I don't have to deal with buying pants like Craig's, we took a van to a camp and he had to strech his legs between the back and front seats. I'm only six foot three but I find I bump my head on stuff designed for stupid short people... best of luck with the car though... I suggest looking at a truck or something like that, they tend to have good leg room. My dad has an OLD GMC that I have no trouble in, our minivan is OK too, but when I squeeze into my sister's RX-7 I feel like a sardine.

Cipher13
Jul 26, 2003, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by Arty50:
If you don't mind buying used, find yourself an old Mercedes 500 SEL. Built like a tank, safe as hell, and so much leg room you won't know what to do with it all.

I'm not sure about the later 500 series Mercedes, but it's worth a look too.

Also, look into a Lincoln Town Car.
I second that. Best idea short of a Maybach...

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2003, 07:45 AM

i fit comfortably in my Neon, and am 6'4". However, the seat is at the furthest reach, and though it fits me like a glove, i'm not certain if there's 6" worth of additional leg room before ones knees migrate upward into the dashboard... Getting in and out is actually not too bad, once you realize you can swing yourself in properly using the roof of the car. Might be worth a look, but it may also be tight for you.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2003, 08:19 AM

I am 6'6"

Cars I have been driving during the last couple of years:

A 1968 Mercedes 190 Fintail. No problems, tons of space.

A 1976 Mercedes 230 CE. Very comfortable

A 1988 Jaguar XJ6. Comfortable but only just. I had the seat all the way back.

A classic Mini Cooper. Seriously. I had bucket seats fitted, on a seat extension. No problem at all, although the car was effectively a 2 seater

Test drove a new Mini, huge amount of space if seat is all the way back.

Test drove a Smart car. Again, tons of space but probably not perfect for the US market.

A 1964 Land Rover Series IIA, my current car. No problem at all.

And finally my girlfriend's VW Golf. Not a problem at all, tons of space.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2003, 08:23 AM

The Volkswagen Passat, horrible car IMO but a lot of legroom. Or the Skoda Superb (actually it's the Chinese version of the Passat, which is a bit bigger). Dunno if these are available in the US... Anyway, I would never buy them because they are VAG cars

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2003, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by austeros:
that are still priced around $15k?

my damn car is done. time to get a new one. but being 6'10" makes this hard. if anyone has one thats got alot of leg/head room, please tell me what it is
The new Altima is huge! Lots of leg room in the front. Don't know if it's enough for your 6'10 (!!) frame, but worth a try. Might even be able to find a recent used one for around your price.

villa

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2003, 08:40 AM

I test drove the vw bug and it has an insane amount of room in there. i being only 5'3 didnt like it since i felt like i should sit on the phonebook to drive. so if you dont mind people thinking your gay (seems to be the stereotype) it would be a good choice.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2003, 09:12 AM

I am only 5'10 so I may be off base here- but I just bought a Honda Civic Si and I am used to putting the seat all the way back, and the Civic has quite a bit left after I am happy. Add to that, the seats are low and roof is high. It's a fun little well built car and I just got one for a hair over 16k.

Chmeeee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2003, 09:35 AM

Try out the Chrysler Concorde (guess it would have to be used, but maybe new with all the special deals you can get at the end of the year. That car has an insane amount of room front and back. I am 6'1", and I can stretch my legs all the way out in the BACK seat, and not behind someone short either.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2003, 09:54 AM

I've owned 3 VW's- 93 Passat, 95 Passat and 92 Corrado, and all 3 of those are the only cars I've driven where I could put the seat so far back that I can't reach the pedals. I'm 6'1".

A friend of mine is 6'4" and 270lb, and he drives a Golf. It looks like it would be too small for a big fella, but it suits him fine.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2003, 10:08 AM

About the Passat...I think it's called Jetta in the US ? right ? Or is it the Bora that is called Jetta in the US ?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2003, 11:23 AM

Powaqqatsi, The Bora/Jetta is a different car to the Passat, the Bora/Jetta is a Golf with a saloon boot instead of a hatchback, the Passat is about the same size as a Mondeo (Contour in the US?) or Audi A6.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2003, 11:25 AM

i am surprised no one mentioned a Checker, might be hard to find one with low milage but hell talk about a cool car. i would keep the paint job and flick off anyone that hails me

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2003, 11:28 AM

I'm 6' 8" for the price the VW bug had the best leg and head room. It was always amazing to me, the high pice of a Cadillac was lacking in leg room. It seems that foreign cars tend to be bette for leg room!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2003, 11:47 AM

These are all new cars but may give you a starting point on where to look used:

Top 10 Cars for Driver/Front Passenger Space

If only you could get an Audi A8L for $15K ...

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2003, 12:03 PM

The new Jeep Liberty has a fair bit of leg/head space. Don't know if you'd get one within your budget though.
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

ranga
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2003, 12:05 PM

If you don't mind buying a used car, I'd recommend a Lincoln Continental. I had a 96 Continental and it had lots of leg room in the back and the front. Several of my coworkers who are 6'5"+ had no problems sitting in either the passenger seat or the back seat even for long rides.

I sold my Continental in March for about $7k, which is about an average for a 96. You should be able to get a newer one within the $15k limit.

--ranga

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2003, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
The Volkswagen Passat, horrible car IMO but a lot of legroom. Or the Skoda Superb (actually it's the Chinese version of the Passat, which is a bit bigger).
The Skoda isn't a Chinese car and it's not a Passat either.
Skoda is a Check company owned by Volkswagen. They tend to share floor plans but that is as far as it goes.

austeros  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2003, 12:41 PM

thanks for all the advice guys.

i need to go new. need to be sure this car gets me through law school. yeah, wish i could afford some of those cars, but its all good.

any other ideas would be appreciated.

and to clarify: ofcourse im a fat slob , but its my height thats the problem

There's someone in my head but its not me...

Forum Links
Forum Rules