Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > any way to check how many computers you have authorized in itms?

any way to check how many computers you have authorized in itms?
austeros
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 09:59 PM

i wiped my drive and reinstalled, and im not sure if that screws me with itunes. is there anyway to check?

tia

There's someone in my head but its not me...

dtriska
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 10:04 PM

There's supposed to be a way to de-authorize a computer via your account in iTunes. Log-in to the music store, and look around your account.

spaced
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2003, 11:20 PM

Click on your email address in the box next to Account: in the top right hand corner. Enter your password. This will take you to your account info page where it will tell you how many computers are authorized to play music purchased using your account.

To answer your real question, no... as long as you are using the same computer you can wipe and reinstall a million times and it will not mess up your authorization. You will need to enter your password the first time you play a purchased song after a wipe and reinstall but it will not increase the number of authorized computers. I believed the authorization is tied to your computer's serial number (someone want to verify this?).

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by spaced:
I believed the authorization is tied to your computer's serial number (someone want to verify this?).
I heard MAC address, but the result is the same. Apple is smart enough not to count a re-authorization as a new authorization.

austeros  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2003, 01:49 PM

excellent, thanks guys

There's someone in my head but its not me...

Forum Links
Forum Rules