Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > vob -> mp4. 400hmz good enough?

vob -> mp4. 400hmz good enough?
austeros
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 07:37 PM

yeah so i want to encode some vob files into quicktime compliant mp4 files, but it seems to be a pain on the pc side, so im wondering if it is easier to do with my imac. its currently a g3 400, but ive been considering getting a g4 400 upgrade, but i dotn want to unless its worth it.

wont be able to get a new mac till 2006, so its this or use my pc laptop (forced to get it for law school), which easily has the horsepower though lacks an elegant solution. any advice?

There's someone in my head but its not me...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2004, 11:31 PM

Ripping can be done on a machine of any speed. Faster machines will do it faster, of course, but encoding isn't a real-time task, so it comes down to a matter of how much time you can stand to have it take.

If you're just going from G3 -> g4, then I wouldn't bother; a change in chip generation won't help you too much. In the case of g3 -> g4, your machine's system bus will also create a performance bottleneck, so the machine may end up somewhat slower overall.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

austeros  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 11:49 AM

hmmm,thanks. guess i will just have to try it out and see how it works. im away from that computer most of the day, so it can do it all day if need be.

There's someone in my head but its not me...

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2004, 11:05 AM

What Program are you using for this?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Turias
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 11:17 AM

On my 400MHz G4 Yikes! machine, it would take over 24 hours to go from vob -> mp4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules