Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Buring a mac dmg file on a pc

Buring a mac dmg file on a pc
austeros
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 09:43 PM

ok, so i want to back up a lot of data from my old imac. i figure the easiest way for me to do this is to copy it all into a dmg file (thus preserving long filenames etc, and then transfer that image to my pc laptop (that has a dvd burner) and burn that image as a file on a dvd.

i figure this will work, since files are stored on pc servers all the time, but can someone please confirm it for me, before i trash 4 gigs of stuff i dont want to lose. is there any risk of corrupting the dmg file? i would just copy the files directly, but the long filenames are giving me a headache.

tia

There's someone in my head but its not me...

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 10:08 PM

I have never seen a Windows burning application that can take DMGs. I would suggest converting it to an ISO with Disk Utility within OSX. I think Nero or other Windows CD burning app can take ISOs.

austeros  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 10:27 PM

hmmm.. but what i mean is can i save the .dmg just as the file so that on the dvd all i see is the dmg? which if i want to open id have to copy back to my mac.

does this make any sense?

JonoG4
Senior User
Sep 15, 2004, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by austeros:
hmmm.. but what i mean is can i save the .dmg just as the file so that on the dvd all i see is the dmg? which if i want to open id have to copy back to my mac.

does this make any sense?
Yeah, I can see that. Just put that .dmg on the disk, not burn the .dmg as an image. That would work I would think? Just throw it on the DVD as a file. But I remmeber hearing that Nero does support .DMG images.
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

austeros  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 11:51 PM

ehh, my laptop came with roxio, and since its just really for school use, i dont care to invest in nero. it seems to work well enough for me. thanks though

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 01:36 AM

It will work as a .dmg file. On the pc just burn the cd with long filename support as you'll be able to read it in OSX.
weird wabbit

Forum Links
Forum Rules