Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > The beta for DL2 2.0.2 is out

The beta for DL2 2.0.2 is out
cchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2008, 11:14 AM

From Wil's blog

I had already known that when I launched 2.0, I couldn't immediately go on vacation; that I'd have to jump in to the 2.0.1 release for any urgent bugs that customers found. What I didn't realize was how much support e-mail would spike. That's the lesson I learned: I need to have extra people ready to do support when I do a major release. I'm not sure how to do this and not be paying people to twiddle their thumbs the rest of the time, but that's something I'll have to figure out. And I apologize to my customers for this screw-up.
The beta for 2.0.2 is out now

If you've submitted a bug report, expect an answer from tech support real soon now:

Delicious Monster news: I've told Terry and Maja if they get our support INBOX to 0 by the 15th, they get an enormous cash bonus. Now: 1602.
You can be honorable or you can make money.
--slogan of The Delicious Generation

aged
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2008, 01:26 PM

Just get 2.0.1 with that link. 1:30PM EST.

cchris  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2008, 01:41 PM

Really? Thought it downloaded 2.0.2, I'll have to recheck the version number when I get home tonight.

Gord Lacey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2008, 02:01 PM

Version 2.0.1 for me (build 10438).

Gord

cchris  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2008, 02:29 PM

Terry are you out there? Wil's said version 2.0.2 is available, can you provide a link that works?

cchris  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2008, 08:27 PM

Okay, I just checked my version and it is 2.0.1.

Evidently what Wil meant to say was the beta for 2.0.1 is out now. Minor typo but somewhat ironic coming as it did at the end of a mea culpa for screwing up....

phibes4000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 03:04 AM

Looking at the length of the aforementioned blog post, I wonder how many bugs could have been squashed in the time it took to write it...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by phibes4000 View Post
Looking at the length of the aforementioned blog post, I wonder how many bugs could have been squashed in the time it took to write it...
You gotta stop wondering about that.

Wil spends his time on all kinds of stuff, if we like it or nor.

I'm personally disappointed in this half-baked release, and the number of things that of "fixed" w/o being broken (i.g. info panel).

-t

cchris  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 11:45 AM

Wil professed surprise at the high number of support emails he got. When you dump a seriously flawed product on people who've paid good money, they tend to be impatient for you to make things right, and disregard your apologies (especially when they're whispered in the wind at midnight by putting the apology on an obscure blog).

Wil prizes his ability to pimp code. That's appropriate in more ways than one.

illitrate
Jul 20, 2008, 04:11 AM

well seems that link points to 2.0.2 now (build 10458 - 2.0.1 was 10418)

almost seems a bit "snappier" too
( Last edited by illitrate; Jul 20, 2008 at 04:29 AM. )
-- ---
"one day we're all gonna die and then we'll see who's laughing"

cchris  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2008, 02:14 PM

Alright, got the 2.0.2 beta...and there's no ReadMe file saying what's new and improved, what a surprise.

Well, here's what hasn't been fixed:
Still uses Delicious Library 1's help
Still only searches creators and titles (although DM support assures us this is really easy to fix!)
Click the Edit button while viewing the Synopsis pane and it opens the Details pane
Still doesn't display all iTunes tracks
Still isn't sizing covers properly for Audiobooks
That's what I found at first glance.

Care to comment Terry on why such an easy fix for so critical a feature as searching wasn't tended to in this release? Is Wil ever going to take five minutes to tell his dissatisfied customers what's going on?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2008, 03:33 PM

-t]

cchris  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2008, 09:13 AM

Update:

Publishing to a folder still doesn't work for a large library like mine. Problems with DL and large libraries aren't unexpected, avoiding them in the released version was the main reason I took part in beta testing. But because a bug kept DL2 from importing large DL1 collections, I wasn't able to do much testing. That wasn't enough of a "showstopper" to keep Wil--in order to serve us better--from ending beta testing early so we could all pay to be beta testers.
( Last edited by cchris; Jul 21, 2008 at 01:38 PM. )

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2008, 03:27 AM

The beta wasn't finished when you found it--and the searching is now included. When we release betas, we send them to the people that had the specific problem that it is supposed to fix. There's no use in sending a beta out to everyone, where they have to figure out what the problem was, and then if it fixed it. That wastes everyone's time which is never our intention.

That said, we also usually won't send the beta out to EVERYONE who reports the same bug. If we send it to a good number of people, and it successfully fixes the problem, then we'll incorporate it into an automatic software update (which includes patch notes) so that everyone gets it and knows the issue is resolved.

Forum Links
Forum Rules