Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9500 RAM bank "B" Disappears with FireWire Card!

9500 RAM bank "B" Disappears with FireWire Card!
3dAnimation
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2001, 09:43 PM

I have recently received a 3 port firewire card from a friend who bought a firewire scanner for his G4. The Firewire card came with PC drivers, and makes no mention of using it in a Mac.

I popped it in my 9500, installed FireWire 2.3.3; and booted Final Cut Pro. I can capture video (although I DO get some DV/Firewire error.) However, I noticed that I lost RAM. So I checked my System Profiler, and only the RAM in bank A was showing!

I pulled the card, and all my RAM came back!

What happened? Was the Firewire card pulling too much power and therefore couldn't power the RAM bus fully?

I've got my up 9500 set up as follows:

G3/400 NewerTech (RIP)
432 Megs of RAM
1: empty
2: IX Micro UltimateRez
3: unknown Firewire Card
4: Adaptec 2940u2w card
5: IX Micro UltimateRez
6: empty

What do you guys think?

-GregM.

isotropy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2001, 12:20 PM

You could try putting the card in a different slot and see if that makes a difference. You could unconnect all the other cards, and just put the firewire card in, and if you still lose the RAM, then you know that it's the card that's the culprit.

Hope this helps.

3dAnimation  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2001, 02:10 PM

I switched it from slot 3 to slot 6, and everything is happy again.

I don't get why that would happen, now the last three slots are full, and the first three only have 1 card in it. You would think balancing the load would be better.

Hey, it works and I'm pretty happy

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2001, 04:50 AM

Media 100 had a very specific order for cards to be in make their system work on a 9500. It had a lot to do with the PCI bridge chip which connects the first 3 PCI slots to the last 3 PCI slots. Also, the last 3 PCI slots have better timing signals which is good for SCSI cards, and I guess Firewire cards. Video cards don't care as much.

drewman

Forum Links
Forum Rules