Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > 26 GB video what to do ???

26 GB video what to do ???
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2004, 11:33 PM

Hi,

So I transfer one of my favorite movie onto my PB from analogue to digital using iMovie and a Digital Camcorder...but the movie end up being 26 GB.... I tryed then exporting it to a quitime format (for a CD defult in iMovie) but the resolution (screen size is too small)...

Any way I can make a DivX out of this iMovie file? Or other recomendations would be great!

Another question I have is that is one has a project in iMovie this big and want to make a DVD out of it will the quality and resolution of the movie downscale a lot...what I am trying to find out is that if the movie is no longer that 2 hours (which is the amount of time a DVD can hold if burned on iDVD....and the project on iMovie is like way bigger than 4.7 GB...how do you do this?

As I said before I am brand new to this digital video stuff.

Thanks for the patience....

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by jorgem4:

Another question I have is that is one has a project in iMovie this big and want to make a DVD out of it will the quality and resolution of the movie downscale a lot...what I am trying to find out is that if the movie is no longer that 2 hours (which is the amount of time a DVD can hold if burned on iDVD....and the project on iMovie is like way bigger than 4.7 GB...how do you do this?
There's an encoding process (to MPEG2) that happens when you make a DVD.

Talk2Angus
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2004, 03:00 AM

There's an encoding process that happens when you make a DVD.
TALK2U Soon
Angus Pohl
Solutions Engineer
Durban
South Afica

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2004, 03:54 AM

There's encoding that happens when you make a DVD.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2004, 03:55 AM

Encoding happens when you DVD.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2004, 03:56 AM

Encoding you.

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2004, 09:26 AM

So I can make a DVD of this movie (project) from iMovie? Even though it is 26 GB and you can only fit 4.7 GB on a DVD? What about the quality?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 09:35 AM

the quality depends on your encoding settings.

-r.

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2004, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by jorgem4:
So I can make a DVD of this movie (project) from iMovie? Even though it is 26 GB and you can only fit 4.7 GB on a DVD? What about the quality?
Yes. It will compress it fit on the DVD. The image always suffers a bit in this process, but I bet it will be acceptable.

Mark E
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2004, 07:24 AM

once you've done your editing with imovie, click the 'iDVD' button on the right hand side of the window. there you can add chapter markers if you want to - i normally try to add them every 5 minutes or so on a suitable scene break.

once you've done that, just click the 'create iDVD project' button, and iDVD should automatically launch. there you can customise your DVD menus etc. once you've finished and start burning the disc, iDVD will encode your 26GB file to fit on a DVD-R.

-Mark

in case of accidental ingestion, consult a mortician.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jun 4, 2004, 11:36 AM

OT: Talk2Angus, please don't just copy/paste someone else's reply. And don't respond with only a smiley. If you're posting to raise your post count, I can easily reduce it to zero.

wvx
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2004, 12:38 PM

26 GB of DV video would be around 123 minutes of video. Check your iMovie timeline to make sure of the exact length. I believe iDVD4 can create 2 hour DVDs and you can send your iMovie project right to iDVD.

You can also install 3ivx or DiVX and export your project to a QuickTime using one of these pretty decent formats.

Forum Links
Forum Rules